collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Too quiet on this board this year  (Read 9994 times)

Offline grizzlyadams

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Too quiet on this board this year
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 08:16:20 PM »
Ya all good reasons I suppose. The high hunt has gotten pretty crowded. Not exactly sure why though. I guess people don't realize there are actually fewer deer at high elevation....a lot fewer. My reasons for going on the high hunts are the whole experience itself. But I've been running into quite a few people who actually believe they have a better chance at a deer, until they do it and realize that it's sparse up there.
Be legal, be safe, be ethical and vote. Let's preserve our sport, our heritage and our rights.

Offline WaltAlpine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Westside address - Eastside Heart
Re: Too quiet on this board this year
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »
I love this site. I have only been hunting deer for a couple of years and I have gotten a lot out of reading here. The search bar helped answer a lot of questions. And the discussions have spurred on questions for me to ask my friends who hunt.
I don't get sidetracked by the "hot" issues. I just like to hunt and get or give as much good information as possible.

By the way...I'm totally jacked up for the high hunt! We went on a scouting hike a couple of weeks ago and, and, well, let's just say I've already got my stuff packed!

Offline Elkohol

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 08:43:03 PM »
My favorite parts of the backcountry forum are the gear threads. I love seeing people's load outs, DIY gear mods and pack lists and all the like. I'm a gear addict constantly changing, adding and cutting trying to find that ideal setup. I do agree that trolls have ruined the posting experience. Most of us got into backcountry hunting for the adventure and experience. Unfortunately there's too many people out there who go fishing for spots on the internet.

Offline cvandervort

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 06:38:24 AM »
It is quiet....
I just assumed you had all given up and let me have it all to myself!😁

I agree with elkohol though...the ingenuity that comes from backcountry hunters looking to push themselves lighter, farther, and more efficient is what I like about this forum.
For Pete's sake...pick up your feet, man!

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 08:06:02 AM »
It is quiet....
I just assumed you had all given up and let me have it all to myself!

I agree with elkohol though...the ingenuity that comes from backcountry hunters looking to push themselves lighter, farther, and more efficient is what I like about this forum.
+1
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »
Heres from a recent scouting trip in MT, grizzly's make it a bit diff than back home tho

Offline Redbeard

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 06:53:37 PM »
I can talk about how I moved here and had to get my DL and vehicle plated within 30 days but Im still considered a NR until mid Oct.  No early archery for me.  Can't complain cause this place is much better than my old state.

Offline BenC567

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
I do agree it has been a bit slow on the back country section.  However, I do believe in helping each other out and sharing information.  I've done a few scouting trips, talked to biologist, and got some very help tips from outfitters and guides regarding a few general areas I've been researching.

I'm willing to share my findings with people that have information to offer in return. Heck, I would even split a hunting area with someone if we happen to go to the same area so we can cover more ground and help each other pack out.

If anyone is interested in a collaborative conversation pm me your email address and I can get chain going.

Offline grizzlyadams

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 02:47:17 AM »
Beautiful pic hound!! Thanks for sharing bro. I love the gear threads to. I try to buy 1 or 2 new pieces of lighter gear every year. This summer has been tough though. Lots of work on my property to be done. Downed trees from the winter, firewood to cut and split for the coming winter and work has been busy. Last years high hunt started and ended with too many people in my area. So I'm trying to pin down a good new spot for this year. So with no time to scout this year and not knowing if the new spot will yield tons of hunting pumpkins. It will be a crap shoot for me this year. However, I enjoy the whole experience. From the planning to the trip home. It's what I look forward to all year and harvest or not. It will be a great time!!!
Be legal, be safe, be ethical and vote. Let's preserve our sport, our heritage and our rights.

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 06:05:11 PM »
I agree with most on here. People have learned about location talk. more chatter on the gear side of things. Excited to see some high hunt pics. Just keep the mountain ranges out of the background

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 06:21:43 AM »
My buddy and I are going out this year.  Will be my first trip and his third or fourth.

I'm going purely for the experience of (1) using all the gear that I've spent 8 months accumulating  :chuckle: (2) the hike in, the camping, and (3) being up high and hunting open country.

I think people misunderstand the point of the high hunt when they troll for spots.

Truth be told, my buddy and I haven't picked a spot yet, and we will be going to a place in the ALW or GPW that we haven't been to before.  Tempted to go to the buckhorn too.

Every day I scour maps, sat images, looking for access, and cross referencing hiking traffic online for pictures/descriptions/frequency of postings.

I'm more interested in places where people are few and far between, not so much where animals are plentiful.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 06:25:29 AM »
I have refrained from posting pics this year, Ill post some after I am done hunting  :chuckle:

Offline cvandervort

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
I've been doing the HH solo for the last few years...
Just found out my brother in law (avid hiker and duck hunter, but only hunted deer once) wants to come along. Should be a good few days! I'm looking forward to lightening the load!
QUESTION: When taking somebody who's new to spot and stalk hunting, do you all glass together, or set them up on their own and go to the next ridge? I like to cover more ground, but I want to set him up for success...
For Pete's sake...pick up your feet, man!

Offline WA1232

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »
I've been doing the HH solo for the last few years...
Just found out my brother in law (avid hiker and duck hunter, but only hunted deer once) wants to come along. Should be a good few days! I'm looking forward to lightening the load!
QUESTION: When taking somebody who's new to spot and stalk hunting, do you all glass together, or set them up on their own and go to the next ridge? I like to cover more ground, but I want to set him up for success...

I would consider packing some radios up there; if one of you sees something you can call the other over and make a plan together.

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »
cvandervort, Im with you, we like to put eyes on as much country as possible. Id set the bro-in-law at another vantage point somewhat nearby. I like being solo in the high country, but would rather share the experience with others. Good luck!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal