collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: am i shooting to lite of arrow?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline shorthair15

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
am i shooting to lite of arrow?
« on: August 21, 2014, 05:03:31 PM »
 i picked up a new mathews chill r. i went to sight it in. the arrows are flying down range odd i seen the back of the arrow spinning in a bit of a circle. looking for some input on here from some of long time archery guy's. i purchased a dozen beman ics hunter's in a 340 spine. im shooting 100 grain heads. i am by know means a expert. just looking for some one with alot of knowledge on tuneing bows. i used to shoot easton full metal jacket's but wanted try carbon arrows this go around. thank's may take it to archery world and let them look at it.
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: am i shooting to lite of arrow?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 05:22:48 PM »
What poundage and what draw ? have you paper tuned it yet?
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline shorthair15

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »
im shooting a 29 inch draw at 62 lbs. no i have not paper tuned it yet.
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:07:59 PM »
well that could be a lot of things but the two times I had this issue: 1) contact and 2) rest not set up quite right.  Both were pretty simple adjustment.  But take it into the shop and ask for help.  This will be the fastest way to figure it out in a controlled setting.  And that spine should be fine for that set up, I used to shoot the same arrows for deer @ 70#'s.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:17:10 PM »
Arrow spine should be fine with what you are shooting.  FOC marginal but ok.  Sounds like you just need a little tuning.  Kyle and Joe should get you really close, but usually a guy needs to be able to do a little tweaking on his own too.

Also, you need to shoot broadheads and field points to verify.  Quite often on sunny days you will see an optical illusion that looks like the back end of the arrow is doing small loops.  Most often it is the lighter colored cock vane spinning.  I fletch a couple arrows with all white or flo yellow fletching to help eliminate the illusion while tuning.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline BAR C3

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 06:31:19 PM »
I'm shooting the exact same set up. I'm shooting 65lbs. My arrows weigh 390.  I recommend you paper tune. Could be your arrow rest and etc..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal