collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: new to washington elk hunting  (Read 2784 times)

Offline kwalk15203

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
new to washington elk hunting
« on: August 24, 2014, 07:45:28 PM »
I am active duty military, I have been living here for about two years but never tried my luck at elk hunting. I'm originally from Mississippi and have hunted my entire life, private land and public land.

My question to everybody here is, is there some good public land around the lacey, Olympia area to hunt elk in the early archery season about to kick off in September?  I will also have access to base hunting so I can also do that as well just never heard of anybody having success there.

any info would be greatly appreciated I definitely will need it, also I'm not to familiar with the way Washington state does their GMUs and the public hunting land within those GMUs. I have read and researched the areas but still do not have a good grasp on the exact way yall do it up here, I guess that's just the southern in me, its a lot easier down there.

thanks, kyle

PS. if anybody has information on somebody selling a 30-30 lever action for a reasonable price, point them my way please.

"No fish has ever been caught on a dry hook and no deer has ever been killed in front of a TV -Kyle Walker"

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. -Clint Eastwood"

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: new to washington elk hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »
kwalk, you'll need to range a bit farther than JBLM for decent elk hunting (although there are some wapiti that frequent the fringes of some training areas).  You mentioned SEPT so I assume you're interested in the early archery elk season?  I can't steer you in any particular direction but the WDFW regs show the GMUs that are open and OTC.  Have you checked at the NW Adventure Centure on JBLM?  Sometimes they offer some elk hunting camps?  RJ 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »
Welcome aboard and thanks for your service. WDFW's website will give you harvest info per species and even weapon/season if you want. Great place to start research. I believe most units run about 5-8% success if that tells you anything about what OTC hunting does to elk herds  :(

Offline kwalk15203

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:52:52 PM »
thanks guys, ill check out the adventure center
"No fish has ever been caught on a dry hook and no deer has ever been killed in front of a TV -Kyle Walker"

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. -Clint Eastwood"

Offline rover758

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:04:54 AM »
Just a suggestion ... On Rainier Road between Lacy and Rainier just before you get to Spurgeon Creek Road (maybe a quarter mile) is a service road to the right.  It's Ft. Lewis property so if you can get onto base property that may be an area to check.  My girfriend and I were cutting firewood there (with a permit  :chuckle:) last year and as we were driving in we got in the middle of a dozen or more elk right there a half mile off the main road.  But, as Phantom said, really not much in the way of areas to hunt close to JBLM.
SMSgt, USAF, Ret
1976 - 1997
** Due to the rising cost of ammo warning shots will not be fired **
** All I ask is for the chance to prove that money can't make me happy (S. Milligan) **

Online metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:33:31 PM »
You can check out the southwest side of Capital Forest-Porter area. Densities are low and it is branched bull only, but there are elk. Bonus is the area is wide open for public, Disco pass is all you need, no fire closures and lots of deer and grouse. 45 minutes from the main gate, you could scout it tomorrow evening. Hint, drop down into Gibson creek.

Offline kwalk15203

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 09:22:27 PM »
thanks man just looked up that area, gonna go scout it out

Offline MarkyMark

• Longhunter
  • Veteran Paramedic-Firefighter. Greenhorn Hunter
  • Groups: IAFF WSCFF
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 09:40:30 PM »
That area off Rainier road will have elk in it frequently. Unfortunately Range Control knows this too I think because they close that area a lot.
Tomfoolery Approved

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »
Sent you a PM kwalk. 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]