collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My walk in cooler is almost done....  (Read 21260 times)

Offline Kit Carson

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, WSTA, NTA
Re: My walk in cooler is almost done....
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2016, 10:40:43 PM »
I can see the trifecta hanging in there; bull, buck, bear.

:yeah:

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
STILL WAITING FOR ANIMAL PICS IN IT.  :hello:

DID YOU NOT PUT PLYWOOD ALL THE WAY UP THE WALLS?

:yeah: :hello:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2016, 02:04:28 PM »
No...plywood onlygoes 4' up the walls.  I wanted the plywood on the lower half the walls for easy paint / clean up.  So far it has worked amazingly well.  I have had it full twice this year alone (friends, family and my animals).  Last year at one point we had 5 deer and one elk in it at one time.  Holds temps easily at 34-39 degrees. 

Just took an elk and deer out of it yesterday to butcher.  Elk hung for 7 days and deer for 5 days.  My muzzleloader was busy a week ago.   :tup:

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2016, 02:10:06 PM »
pics from sept....two elk and a buck

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2016, 02:52:51 PM »
Very cool!  :tup: I want one!
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2016, 02:58:58 PM »
After re-reading the post....figured I should update it.  I run my cool bot at 37 degrees and the final temps fluctuate between 35 and 39 degrees.  It works really well.  I run it for a couple months a year and have had no problems.  I am super in love with this cooler....it has been a welcome part to mine and many of my friends / familys hunting adventures. 

Offline TONTO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2016, 04:25:41 PM »
 My brother's walk in, and my blacktail from this year. The track in the cieling tees off again(not in pic) for hanging quarters, and continues out above the door all the way to the garage door. Animals can be hoisted right out of truck bed, skinned and railed into the cooler.
 He also runs a cool bot and kept my deer chilled for a week at 35degrees. When we went to cut meat my hands went numb from the cold as if I was carking TUNA. My niecess fork from saturday, OR buck, is hanging in there now. Floor is sealed and has a drain, joking about digging it out and installing a disposal to help with cleanup. It is plummed right out back to his garden.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2017, 09:31:44 AM »
After re-reading the post....figured I should update it.  I run my cool bot at 37 degrees and the final temps fluctuate between 35 and 39 degrees.  It works really well.  I run it for a couple months a year and have had no problems.  I am super in love with this cooler....it has been a welcome part to mine and many of my friends / familys hunting adventures.

What type of insulation did you use?  Do you recall what the R rating and thickness was and did you use multiple layers or just one? Lots of options out there, but your having good results it seems so any help is appreciated!

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »
jrebel, any big fluctuation in power bill?  I know you have cheap power but still is it noticeable?  My wife and I are looking at a piece of property that has 3 sheds on it.... 1 of those will likely qualify for conversion  :chuckle:

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »
jrebel, any big fluctuation in power bill?  I know you have cheap power but still is it noticeable?  My wife and I are looking at a piece of property that has 3 sheds on it.... 1 of those will likely qualify for conversion  :chuckle:

Haven't noticed any increase in our electric bill.....but I really haven't paid to close attention to it either. 

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »

What type of insulation did you use?  Do you recall what the R rating and thickness was and did you use multiple layers or just one? Lots of options out there, but your having good results it seems so any help is appreciated!

I used the blue  pink and white foam board.  4-5" thick throughout.  With plywood  and insulation I figure my r-value somewhere in the 25-30 range.  It holds temp pretty well. 

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2017, 03:56:32 PM »
Nice! That's gonna be real handy this fall. Have you thought of making cured meats, could be fun and tasty......... ;)

Never done it....I guess I will have to research it.  I assume you would cure them in a meat cooler?  Any input would be great.

jrebel

This book is a great read  :twocents:. Great Sausage Recipes and Meat curing. Rytek Kutas

Curing meat can be complicated. But do able.
You'll want to keep it at 60 degrees and 70% humidity.

You have the temp controller already just need to get a humidity controller and a humidifier. Sometimes when I put in new salami or whole muscles to cure I re program the controller and put in a de humidifier.
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2017, 10:39:54 AM »
Nice! That's gonna be real handy this fall. Have you thought of making cured meats, could be fun and tasty......... ;)

Never done it....I guess I will have to research it.  I assume you would cure them in a meat cooler?  Any input would be great.

jrebel

This book is a great read  :twocents:. Great Sausage Recipes and Meat curing. Rytek Kutas

Curing meat can be complicated. But do able.
You'll want to keep it at 60 degrees and 70% humidity.

You have the temp controller already just need to get a humidity controller and a humidifier. Sometimes when I put in new salami or whole muscles to cure I re program the controller and put in a de humidifier.

Yes, I think keeping the humidity in check in such a big space would be the issue. Certainly doable, but would require some trial and error. But that's the fun part. You might be able to tent off a small area with plastic. The Coolbot would still control temp, but you'd have a much smaller area to manage humidity.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal