collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Grouping  (Read 2084 times)

Offline bknilvr00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Grouping
« on: August 26, 2014, 05:29:06 PM »
Alright wise men, I require some insight. What can be considered a grouping tight enough to warrant a shot at that range. This is only my second year owning a bow, but that doesn't mean anything because I'm still learning about things I thought I knew about... Anyways... My 20 and 30 pin are pretty rock solid. 40 pin groupings range from touching fletchings to about 6 inches in diameter. My 50 is pretty shaky yet, but that could be due to always shooting furthest last. What say ye old folks?

Offline Band

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Grouping
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:04:43 PM »
Based on what you've said, I would say that you should limit your range to 40 yards max until you become more proficient with additional practice.  I try to limit my range to where I can ALWAYS group within 6" (3" from where I'm aiming).  And by the way, I'm speaking of grouping your broadheads, which can be more difficult to group than field points.

I'd be interested in what other folks have to say about this issue as well.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »
If you're shooting 6" groups when you're practicing, know the distance and angle, haven't held the string back for a minute, aren't in an awkward position, and aren't experiencing an adrenaline rush - you may well be shooting 9"-12" when hunting. On an elk that may be good enough, but on a deer it's pushing it. Losing an animal to a poor shot is tough medicine. :twocents:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
Heck I'm a rookie at archery but I will add my thoughts. I started shooting 9 months ago. 
#1 for me is self confidence. Believe that you can make the shot, dont force it.
Same as for a rifle, believe in your ability.

#2 I start losing good placement after shooting 15 or 20 times, so that is when I stop shooting that session when I get fatigued.

#3 relax....

#4 and when you have wild game in front of you? Well its a hole new set of problems. Damn turkeys had me on a huge adernaline rush but I over came it.

I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »
Actor point  critical, don't jump on your release, aim small when shooting game pick a spot and don't hold to close to shoulder six inches back
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »
Shoot 50's first next time and see if they group better.  if not, stick to 40ish, and maybe less for deer.
How long til elk season?!??

Offline Hunter Dug

• Longhunter
  • Owner: S&D Skull Works
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 09:38:31 AM »
For me I practice all year at 60 yards I will shoot maybe 50 to 60 arrows a month but all at 60 yards.  Then about a month before hunting season I start to shot all my pins.  I feel this has tighten up my groups substantially.

Offline hntrspud

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA DU RMEF Washington for Wildlife SVEF
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »
I dont know near what these guys do, however one thing that for me was an issue, was overthinking it. Like RT said, relax, have a step process that you go thru every single shot. I.E. Stance, draw,level, pin on target, shoot. Something like that to make it automatic. A ton of good advice here.

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »
You are talking about how far to shoot at a critter?

Each day, or maybe twice a day... pick up your bow and go out and shoot at your target with one arrow. Dont walk up to your "50 yard line" or your "30 yard line" or whatever. Just walk out to some distance, range it if thats what you will do hunting, then let it fly. Maybe have your jacket on... and your daypack... stand on some uneven ground... may be do this right after doing 3 quick 40 yard dashes.... That one arrow is the one that will matter. Not 5. Not 20. Just that one. You'll get an idea of how far to limit your shot
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

Offline Band

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 09:15:37 AM »
You are talking about how far to shoot at a critter?

Each day, or maybe twice a day... pick up your bow and go out and shoot at your target with one arrow. Dont walk up to your "50 yard line" or your "30 yard line" or whatever. Just walk out to some distance, range it if thats what you will do hunting, then let it fly. Maybe have your jacket on... and your daypack... stand on some uneven ground... may be do this right after doing 3 quick 40 yard dashes.... That one arrow is the one that will matter. Not 5. Not 20. Just that one. You'll get an idea of how far to limit your shot
This is excellent advice.  A bow hunter should make practice on the range an integral part of their life to know exactly what to expect from themselves and their equipment but real world practice like this, especially just before the season begins, can not be beat.

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 10:46:27 AM »
its hard to remember... I have not shot my current bow/setup with my gear on... or after hiking... or on uneven ground...etc... etc... I am going to spend some time this weekend doing that!
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw