collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: weapon of choice  (Read 928 times)

Offline McCRIZZLEY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
weapon of choice
« on: August 28, 2014, 04:23:02 PM »
So this will be my first year hunting big game. I have been hunting for about 5 years now but it has all been turkey, coyote, and waterfowl.

I intend to hunt in UW's pack forest out by eatonville as it is fairly close and I am familiar with it. I am aware it may not be the best west side hunting, but I don't have a truck and it offers good hike in from paved road.

Without a father or any friends into hunting, I have been self teaching myself everything and learning a lot from this website.

So my question is...

What guns should I carry?

I own a decent collection of firearms and I am contemplating carrying both a 30-.06 and a 12 gauge. The woods are fairly thick there and I have heard the best hunting in that area is well off trails and into the thickest of it. So I would imagine a 12 gauge and some buck shot would be a good combo. I feel that a rifle could be useful though too. Would it be worth the weight to carry a rifle in the backpack? Or should I ditch the shotgun?

I am primarily thinking of deer hunting, however If school load and work permits it, I may just spring for the full combo pack and try my luck at cougar and bear too. I have heard It is better bear hunting in those woods than dear, but I know even less about bear hunting. Unless it is the same as coyote lol.

Thank you in advance and I appreciate any and all feedback or advice, in the form of comments or private messages. This forum is truly and immense source of knowledge and experience.

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: weapon of choice
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:06:37 PM »
You only need one gun.  Packing two will just get you laughed at or worse.  Imagine a deer presents it self.  Are you going to take the time to determine what gun to use or shoot it with the one in hand?   If no firearm restrictions the 06 will work fine. It is a good solid round.  Really just what you feel the most comfortable with.

Offline MarkyMark

• Longhunter
  • Veteran Paramedic-Firefighter. Greenhorn Hunter
  • Groups: IAFF WSCFF
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 05:17:52 PM »
Sounds like a great place for a Marlin 30-30 lever gun.
Tomfoolery Approved

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 05:21:02 PM »
I know exactly where you want to hunt. I lived in Graham for 10 years and have been all over the Eatonville area. IF, you only hunting an area with thick brush, I'd hunt with a short barreled rifle. For deer, bear and cougar, I'd go with a handgun, if you have one. 44 mag would be a great choice. If you don't have one, a short barreled rifle in 308. T/C Encore or a handgun.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
One gun is all you need.
Be confident with, be accurate with it, and you will want it.
No need for too many distractions.

If you want a deer.... go get a deer.
And be ready to bring that rifle up in half a heartbeat.
You can effectively use your .30/06 at any range from point blank out to a few hundred yards.

What always happens is... if you bring a shotgun, you will only have long shots.
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal