collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Diagnosed with MS....and then?  (Read 3325 times)

Offline HTCS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Diagnosed with MS....and then?
« on: August 31, 2014, 06:58:49 PM »
Hello all,
     I was diagnosed with Remitting/Relapsing MS in July.  I'm currently at 100% (had a few steroid infusions and am on some pretty nasty drugs) and able to stay in the Navy to, hopefully, finish out my 20 years.  My question is:  What if I relapse during hunting season?  What if it's steelhead season and I get sick again?  I can't find anything in the regs or applications that would allow me to hunt and put meat in the freezer.  Does anyone have any insight on this?  Do I just suck it up and eat my tag and buy beef/fish from the store?  Like I said, I feel fine right now and I ain't no sissy...this crap isn't going to keep me down.  I want to know if I DO go down hard like I was in July, are there any provisions in the regs that'll keep me in the woods and on the river?
     I wasn't too sure where to put this so if it needs to move to a different location, please move it along...for now, I'll just leave this right here.  Looking for some answers on what others do.  Any input/advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
        HTCS

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Re: Diagnosed with MS....and then?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »
Sorry about your new diagnosis. I have read that some contact WDFW with refund requests including their doctors notes when they've hurt themselves, have surgery planned, or are in the military and scheduled to leave. I am not sure if they ever get a refund or not, and if you're part way in the season I don't think they do.

What do you mean by "I can't find anything in the regs or applications that would allow me to hunt and put meat in the freezer."? Why wouldn't you be allowed to hunt or fish still? I believe unless you get an actual disability status with the state that you cannot get a disability hunt permit. I have been under the impression you just pray for no relapse and go about your business as normal.

If you ever want someone to talk to you can PM me, I was diagnosed in 2009 with relapse/remitting as well.

Offline HTCS

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:29:49 PM »
Sorry about your new diagnosis. I have read that some contact WDFW with refund requests including their doctors notes when they've hurt themselves, have surgery planned, or are in the military and scheduled to leave. I am not sure if they ever get a refund or not, and if you're part way in the season I don't think they do.

What do you mean by "I can't find anything in the regs or applications that would allow me to hunt and put meat in the freezer."? Why wouldn't you be allowed to hunt or fish still? I believe unless you get an actual disability status with the state that you cannot get a disability hunt permit. I have been under the impression you just pray for no relapse and go about your business as normal.

If you ever want someone to talk to you can PM me, I was diagnosed in 2009 with relapse/remitting as well.

Wow...there IS someone else here with MS.   :chuckle:  What I meant was, if I relapse and can't function normally, how could I still hunt/fish and put away meat?  If that's any clearer.  Legally, I can't have someone shoot my animal for me/assist me when I'm "normal", but if I relapse and it's mid season, are there provisions that will allow me to continue on with an assistant (or whatever they're called)....hope that makes sense.
THANK YOU for the offer to talk via PM.  Might take you up on that someday.
HTCS

Offline Becky

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »
Oh okay I get your question now.. maybe someone can chime in but I am pretty sure that even with a handicap permit you still cannot have someone else hunt or fish for you on your tags... You still have to do it yourself with certain modifications/allowances granted with handicapped permits.

With MS unfortunately, it is considered a "temporary disability" when you have relapse/remitting form of MS, and there are no tags granted for temporary disabilities http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/requirements_status.html.

Pretty much it's a suck it up and hope it doesn't happen during hunting season thing :-/ sorry that's not what you wanted to hear I'm sure. Since you've been diagnosed and are on medication, your relapses usually lessen quite a deal. I know mine did. What med did they start you on? Also since you're already diagnosed and done with all the testing, if you ever do relapse then they'll start you on the steroids asap and that usually kicks you back to normal pretty quickly. Good luck!

Offline HTCS

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »
     My doc (Kara Warden in Everett) has me on Tecfidera 240mg twice a day.  She skipped the shots (no storage here on the ship) in hopes that I could stay on sea duty (which I am, still on NIMITZ and will finish out my one year left here).
     That kinds sucks that it's a "suck it up" kinda deal.  It WOULD suck if it happens during season...if it does, and it's anywhere near like what my initial onset was, I'll look funny walking around with one eye open and dragging my right leg.   :chuckle:  The deer/elk/bear would die from hysteria vice lead poisoning. 
     My doc actually had me start on the steroids the same day I was diagnosed, while I was still in the ER...and then the next few days after that.  She got me right in and fixed up quick.
Thanks again!

Offline Becky

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 09:27:16 PM »
     My doc (Kara Warden in Everett) has me on Tecfidera 240mg twice a day.  She skipped the shots (no storage here on the ship) in hopes that I could stay on sea duty (which I am, still on NIMITZ and will finish out my one year left here).
     That kinds sucks that it's a "suck it up" kinda deal.  It WOULD suck if it happens during season...if it does, and it's anywhere near like what my initial onset was, I'll look funny walking around with one eye open and dragging my right leg.   :chuckle:  The deer/elk/bear would die from hysteria vice lead poisoning. 
     My doc actually had me start on the steroids the same day I was diagnosed, while I was still in the ER...and then the next few days after that.  She got me right in and fixed up quick.
Thanks again!

Oh okay that makes sense, yea the oral meds would probably benefit you more out there. I've moved passed all that and onto Tysabri infusions once every 4 weeks as nothing was working for me :( but these have been amazing as long as I keep medical insurance.

Yeah unfortunately (but maybe fortunately) we're not stuck in a wheelchair for life at this moment, or have half our bodies numb permanently. I honestly would rather have a temporary status than permanent status any day. IF you ever experience a relapse after you've bought your tags though I wouldn't hesitate to contact a WDFW contact and ask if there's anyway for a refund or any help they can provide (with a doctors note). It wouldn't hurt to try anyway. You're still new but I can tell you it gets easier with time to deal with it all, and worrying about your hunting tags will be at the bottom of the list. I'm sure you'll be great this season! I am hoping so anyway :). You're on medication now so just keep thinking positive.

Also, make sure you're taking vitamin D supplements!!

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 10:07:14 PM »
Also, make sure you're taking vitamin D supplements!!

And stay clear of Aspartame.  That includes you and your Crystal Light Smossy Girl ;)  We want to have you around for as long as we can!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline HTCS

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 06:56:26 AM »
Yeah, I'm good with being a temporary disabled person. 
Currently taking vitamin D, B13 and bee caps.
What's aspartame do?
HTCS

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 07:51:06 AM »
Aspartame does a number of bad things.  The worst is Aspartame poisoning/allergy induced MS!  If diagnosed early enough the induced MS can be reversed, but if caught too late it presents itself as full blown MS.  I now know two different people who are diagnosed with MS due to Diet Coke and the Aspartame poisoning.  One of them is struggling immensely to get it under control and looks like he might be losing.  IBS is a more common problem.  Also memory loss similar to long term drug users due to exercise or fever with Aspartame breaking the blood brain barrier and turning to formaldehyde at temperatures around 101 degrees...one of the things I now struggle with due to long term use of Aspartame drinks.  Also promotes fat cells within the muscular tissue, etc, etc...Bad Stuff!!!

MS over the course of the past 20 years is reported to have reached almost epidemic levels.  Experts are just within the past 10-15 years starting to connect a large number of these cases to Aspartame poisoning/allergy.  Unfortunately the FDA isn't taking the threat to public health seriously.  I'm no conspiracy theorist, but it does make me wonder why?  So far Sucralose (Splenda) and Stevia seem to be free of these side effects.

Offline HTCS

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 01:52:38 PM »
Aspartame does a number of bad things.  The worst is Aspartame poisoning/allergy induced MS!  If diagnosed early enough the induced MS can be reversed, but if caught too late it presents itself as full blown MS.  I now know two different people who are diagnosed with MS due to Diet Coke and the Aspartame poisoning.  One of them is struggling immensely to get it under control and looks like he might be losing.  IBS is a more common problem.  Also memory loss similar to long term drug users due to exercise or fever with Aspartame breaking the blood brain barrier and turning to formaldehyde at temperatures around 101 degrees...one of the things I now struggle with due to long term use of Aspartame drinks.  Also promotes fat cells within the muscular tissue, etc, etc...Bad Stuff!!!

MS over the course of the past 20 years is reported to have reached almost epidemic levels.  Experts are just within the past 10-15 years starting to connect a large number of these cases to Aspartame poisoning/allergy.  Unfortunately the FDA isn't taking the threat to public health seriously.  I'm no conspiracy theorist, but it does make me wonder why?  So far Sucralose (Splenda) and Stevia seem to be free of these side effects.

Holy smokes!  I'm not a soda drinker, period, so that's good....wonder what else that stuff is in.  You'd think after so many people "come down" with aspartame poisoning it'd get yanked off the shelves.  That'd be a crappy way to get sick, for sure.  Thanks for the information!!!!
HTCS

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 04:21:38 PM »
Coke and Pepsi both started trying to replace many of their Aspartame drinks with Splenda.  But customers complained.  So now you can get Pepsi One and Diet Coke w/Splenda and that is about it.  Not easy to find everywhere, but they do still have them.  Aspartame is in most flavored bottled water, Lite yogurts, about anything from FiberOne, sugar free candy.  Pretty much 85-90 of anything considered diet or sugar free contains Aspartame.  Mio has gone away from it and is using Sucralose.  Their fruit punch and lemonade is really good stuff...if you do not have an allergy to chlorine  ;)

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »
Really sad to here abut every ones problems even with my health problems it's wAy lower then yours prayers sent

Offline HTCS

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 10:16:41 AM »
Really sad to here abut every ones problems even with my health problems it's wAy lower then yours prayers sent

Yeah, it sucks.  :chuckle:  But what are we going to do?  I say just take it in stride and roll with the punches.  Remember:  "God gives His hardest battles to His strongest Warriors".  I consider that to be a personal challenge/test.   Thanks for the prayers, I appreciate it.   :tup:
HTCS

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 12:56:32 AM »
Nothings wrong with a hinting buddy I think. Hope you have planned on one while out in the field. They still can't shoot it for you on your tags but if you do relapse he/she's there to help you get home and to the Hospitol if needed.
prayers man.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline HTCS

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 04:30:34 PM »
Nothings wrong with a hinting buddy I think. Hope you have planned on one while out in the field. They still can't shoot it for you on your tags but if you do relapse he/she's there to help you get home and to the Hospitol if needed.
prayers man.

Thanks csaaphill!  I haven't been taking anyone with me lately, been bear hunting up around Rockport.  I figure if I'm going to relapse it won't all come at once, last time it was gradual over the course of a few days.  I've got a bunch of Navy buddies that'll come at the drop of a hat to help me out of the woods if needed. 
Thanks again!
HTCS

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal