collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Huge West Side Rosie  (Read 48824 times)

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Huge West Side Rosie
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »
That's what I thought ..  :tup:

Offline krapmit

• Scout
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2014, 09:14:09 AM »
First off, these are not rosie's.... I live in the area and hunt these same herds of elk.  That's like saying a 160 inch "blacktail" shot in North Bend is a true blacktail.  The genetics in the animals in this area are really good, and with the lack of public state land in the area (outside of the Kapowsin unit) they get a chance to grow, thrive and feed better than cattle. These elk are rosie/rocky mix, no doubt in my mind.

Also, yes he changed the name from Barbour outfitters because of the reputation...wouldn't you?  I've never seen such bad press for guys business. 

Regarding baiting, people need to get over it, in these small private land areas, you have no other choice, you may have a ten acre plot where you have permission, you can't chase these animals over fences to other private farms/areas. Shoot you can't even hope to call one in to a 10-20 acre area, YOU HAVE TO BAIT.  I do it from time to time. Sure I'd rather bike in 8 miles behind a gate and call in a bull to 8 yards and shoot him in the heart. but do know the time to scout and the effort to keep these areas baited are intense.  I've seen spots that will go through 100 gallons of apples a day.  A TON OF WORK.

At the end of the day though, from all of the comments and stories I've heard from other sources who have had encounters with this particular guide. It sounds like he's not the most ethical hunter in the woods and have even heard stories of wasted meat, by not properly skinning/gutting animals in time.  But DAMN THESE ARE SOME NICE BULLS HES GOTTEN HIS CLIENTS!

How are they going to make a hunting show out of it on tv though?  Elk drops head quartering away to eat apple and thwap, double lung shot..elk drops apple runs over and dies 30 yards away on bail of alfa alfa?

Offline Jeremiah P

• outdoorsman
  • Scout
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2014, 04:18:52 PM »
It's pretty damn funny that the hunting purist's on this site they wouldn't hunt an elk over bait when in fact they have no idea if that was the case. Jealousy makes a lot of people look pretty stupid, congrats to the new #1 cascade rosie, to the rest just move down
Remington 300RUM
Mathews DXT, Easton Axis, Trophy Taker, Spot Hogg, Badland Packs

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2014, 06:45:56 PM »
I'd rather shoot a public land, fair chase spike bull than a private land apple pile bull. Congrats, you did the work of dumping apples all summer and had patience to wait in a blind all day.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »
One thing I know is P&Y only takes animals in the book under fair chase ...Baiting is not fair chase in their minds ...just saying ..I could careless either way because if in deed he did bait it he was not breaking any laws  :dunno: bulls of that caliper are hard to come by and when you get a tag you better do whatever it takes to fill it as long as it is legal ...You may never get the chance again . :twocents:

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2014, 07:25:14 PM »
I'd rather shoot a public land, fair chase spike bull than a private land apple pile bull. Congrats, you did the work of dumping apples all summer and had patience to wait in a blind all day.

Yeah that

Offline TikkaT3-270Shortmag

• Sourdough
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »
Who gives a rip how he harvested it as long as it's legal.  The object to.hunting is to outsmart and get an opportunity at a quality animal.  Congrats to them too bad there's so many haters

Offline krapmit

• Scout
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2014, 07:44:51 PM »
To each his own. Agreed, too many haters.

Offline Billdos Uncle

• Tracker
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2014, 06:51:15 AM »
It's pretty damn funny that the hunting purist's on this site they wouldn't hunt an elk over bait when in fact they have no idea if that was the case. Jealousy makes a lot of people look pretty stupid, congrats to the new #1 cascade rosie, to the rest just move down

Lol I have been out to this land and saw all the apples with Mr. Barbour himself! this bull was baited bro. his clients don't pay 5,000$ a hunt for him not to bait  :tup: AND AGAIN THIS IS NOT A ROSIE! JUST SHOWS WHAT U REALLY KNOW.. STICK TO FISHING

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2014, 07:07:45 AM »
Billdos uncle really....  Now I know who taught billdo to be so narrow minded... 

I'm not gonna knock the guy for baiting.  We need all legal forms of hunting to remain legal.  I don't bait, but if I was elderly or disabled I would.  So in the future this may be the only way I get any oppurtunity to hunt.  So when all the nay sayers get old or hurt and have no option to hunt at all cause you didn't like one method of hunting when you were young and able. Then you'll be kicking yourselfs for not just minding your own. 

I however don't see the bull the same as I would had he killed it on public land.  Bugling is way more effective than a bait pile IMO.  So I would see the private land as a bigger part of this bull than the apples.  To each there own.  If Barbour wants his rep to be the baiter of the westside elk then let him make his money how he feels fit.  If the clients want to pay to sit on a bait pile and are content at the end, then let them be. 

Offline Billdos Uncle

• Tracker
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2014, 07:09:42 AM »
Billdos uncle really....  Now I know who taught billdo to be so narrow minded... 

I'm not gonna knock the guy for baiting.  We need all legal forms of hunting to remain legal.  I don't bait, but if I was elderly or disabled I would.  So in the future this may be the only way I get any oppurtunity to hunt.  So when all the nay sayers get old or hurt and have no option to hunt at all cause you didn't like one method of hunting when you were young and able. Then you'll be kicking yourselfs for not just minding your own. 

I however don't see the bull the same as I would had he killed it on public land.  Bugling is way more effective than a bait pile IMO.  So I would see the private land as a bigger part of this bull than the apples.  To each there own.  If Barbour wants his rep to be the baiter of the westside elk then let him make his money how he feels fit.  If the clients want to pay to sit on a bait pile and are content at the end, then let them be.

I'm just letting you know if I was an elk out there I would probably puke if I saw or ate another apple  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2014, 08:05:51 AM »
If you were an elk?  You make no sense.  Your statements make me think billdo started an acct under billdos uncle. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2014, 08:07:35 AM »

If you were an elk?  You make no sense.  Your statements make me think billdo started an acct under billdos uncle.

If I see or eat another apple, I'm going to puke.
Like...there's sooooo many apples out there. That's what he's saying.
He's being funny. Slow down, DIY.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline kholmes007

• Pilgrim
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2014, 08:22:03 AM »

:yeah: :tup:

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2014, 08:32:09 AM »
That is one stud of a bull!
I would love to have a bull like that, I do not want to shoot one in someones garden, that has lived like a pet for the last three years.
The "Meridian" herd as we call them, are land locked and basically no different then the high fence hunts.

Still a stud bull!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal