collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: They're Here!!  (Read 21726 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: They're Here!!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 06:42:39 AM »
Seeing a wolf somewhere, even one wearing a collar, is very different from confirming the presence of a pack in a particular area.  Wolves are highly migratory and cover large distances...they have probably set foot in most every corner of Washington State...but they do not have established packs everywhere someone may see a wolf.

How about seeing 7 together with at least one collar five years prior to confirmation. :chuckle:  Does that count or was it just a canine pow wow. 

I am losing track of how many wolf sightings I have had up there, from Wilson Creek to RedTop.  I'm not even in the Teanaway that much.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 06:43:42 AM »
Seeing a wolf somewhere, even one wearing a collar, is very different from confirming the presence of a pack in a particular area.  Wolves are highly migratory and cover large distances...they have probably set foot in most every corner of Washington State...but they do not have established packs everywhere someone may see a wolf.

How about seeing 7 together with at least one collar, if I remember correctly two collars, five years prior to confirmation. :chuckle:  Does that count or was it just a canine pow wow. 

I am losing track of how many wolf sightings I have had up there, from Wilson Creek to RedTop.  I'm not even in the Teanaway that much.

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 06:44:06 AM »
Lets start out with the term "alpha" which ended up being pure BS. I guess WDFW haven't been keeping up with the latest wolf info., or maybe the old terminology fits their desired outcome.

"Alpha" Wolf?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNtFgdwTsbU

From a friend of mine:

I sent the following e-mail to Governor Inslee's office and received a prompt response that the e-mail address to which I sent the e-mail is "not monitored", that I needed to go to http://www.governor.wa.gov/contact/default.asp to leave my comments for the Governor.

I am given to understand that the environmental lobby, inside and outside Washington State, has loosed a barrage of correspondence to the Governor, asking him to stop the extermination of the Huckleberry Pack in Stevens County that has turned to killing livestock.

If the Governor's office only hears from the environmental lobby, he will act accordingly.  He needs to hear from the other side, as well.

Lynn Stuter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Honorable Jay Inslee,

I am given to understand that the environmental lobby, inside and outside Washington State, is calling on state officials to stop the killing of the Huckleberry Pack that has engaged in depredation of sheep in Stevens County.

The Washington Wolf Plan calls for the killing of wolves that engage in such behavior.  These wolves are in Stevens County, eastern half of Washington State, no longer on the endangered species list.

I am also given to understand that the environmental lobby is all upset about the shooting of the "alpha" female.  According to L David Mech, whom the environmental lobby holds up as an authority on wolves, the claim of an "alpha" male and female, in a wolf pack, is pure fiction.  For confirmation of this fact, please see L David Mech's deposition, Case 9:08-cv-00056-DWM; Document 37; Filed 05/09/2008.

Wolves have a long history, one that is well documented.  That history shows that once wolves turn to killing livestock, they will not stop until killed.  That is the reality of wolves.  Trying to discourage them does not work.  Nor does non-lethal means work.  Wolves kill, that is their instinct and one that is not dissuaded by non-lethal means.

The Washington Wolf Plan calls for the elimination of these wolves.  To do otherwise will engender distrust of state officials who made promises they are not keeping.

Sincerely,

Lynn M Stuter
Stevens County

According to the USFWS, once wolves start killing livestock the entire pack must be taken out, including pups. The USFWS discovered this early on when they were in control of Wyoming's wolves, before Wyoming's own wolf plan was finally past.

I'm sorry but, that has got to be one of the worst written letters I have ever seen.  I really hope that was not the final draft sent to the Gov. 

Offline Billdos Uncle

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 06:46:05 AM »

How about seeing 7 together with at least one collar five years prior to confirmation. :chuckle:  Does that count or was it just a canine pow wow. 

:yeah: Hunted teanaway/cle elum for 12 years now and elk pop down deer pop down.... bear pop up coug pop up wolf pop up... I see a problem!  :bash: :chuckle:

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 08:58:32 AM »

:yeah: Hunted teanaway/cle elum for 12 years now and elk pop down deer pop down.... bear pop up coug pop up wolf pop up... I see a problem!  :bash: :chuckle:

Low Estimates Hide Extent of Impact

But regardless of the number of breeding pairs counted, central Idaho is saturated with wolves. Other wolf packs and breeding pairs are constantly forming and dispersing to saturate adjacent areas – yet an unknown number of them are never included in the current year’s minimum estimated wolf population.

It can be argued that most of these undocumented wolves will probably be documented sooner or later if they remain in the area, since 17 new packs were reportedly documented in 2007. But by pretending that the minimum estimate reflects the actual number of wolves, officials and the media downplay their negative impact.

http://idahoforwildlife.com/files/pdf/georgeDovel/The%20Outdoorsman%2026%20January%202008%20full%20report.pdf

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 09:14:39 AM »

Did you report it?  What was their response? 

But regardless of the number of breeding pairs counted, central Idaho is saturated with wolves. Other wolf packs and breeding pairs are constantly forming and dispersing to saturate adjacent areas – yet an unknown number of them are never included in the current year’s minimum estimated wolf population.

It can be argued that most of these undocumented wolves will probably be documented sooner or later if they remain in the area, since 17 new packs were reportedly documented in 2007. But by pretending that the minimum estimate reflects the actual number of wolves, officials and the media downplay their negative impact.
I love how the extremists seem to not understand the word "minimum".  :chuckle: I've never, ever, heard a state or federal wildlife official ever suggest the minimum count is the actual number of wolves...thats why they call it the minimum.  Call wdfw today, ask their wolf bio what the minimum count is for WA...then ask him to guess how many wolves are actually in WA...his 2nd answer will probably be double the first answer...at least it was last time I heard from them.  :tup:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Billdos Uncle

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 09:39:01 AM »

Did you report it?  What was their response? 

I love how the extremists seem to not understand the word "minimum".  :chuckle: I've never, ever, heard a state or federal wildlife official ever suggest the minimum count is the actual number of wolves...thats why they call it the minimum.  Call wdfw today, ask their wolf bio what the minimum count is for WA...then ask him to guess how many wolves are actually in WA...his 2nd answer will probably be double the first answer...at least it was last time I heard from them.  :tup:

U mean when u were at work last! u always ask questions and for facts when so many are already given.. why would he report seeing them when there is already two confirmed packs in teanaway.. Seems like a waste of a call to me... And u say extremists! the WDFW shouldnt say minimum they should say what is the actual amount not give a minimum or maximum that is misleading! they know the exact amount or are probably off by 5 to 10... They are playing politics... So Idaho u think they should be able to lie when they know a closer number than what they give... What is the point of saying the minimum number..

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
They're Here!!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 09:52:12 AM »
Wolfbait,

The WDFW doesn't "pretend" that they know the actual number of wolves in the state. Why do you keep saying that?

From WDFW's website:

Wolf Packs in Washington

Annual Report - Pack Statistics
(as of December 31, 2013)

Washington's wolf population has continued to grow, according to a statewide survey conducted by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife in 2013.  The survey confirmed the presence of at least 52 wolves in 13 wolf packs with a total of 5 successful breeding pairs by the end of the year.  Wildlife managers emphasize that the actual number of wolves in the state is likely higher than those confirmed by the survey. The survey is not designed to account for every wolf within the state, but rather to monitor the species' progress toward recovery. 

http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/packs/

Offline Billdos Uncle

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 09:54:26 AM »
The WDFW doesn't "pretend" that they know the actual number of wolves in the state. From WDFW's website:

Wolf Packs in Washington

Annual Report - Pack Statistics
(as of December 31, 2013)

Washington's wolf population has continued to grow, according to a statewide survey conducted by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife in 2013.  The survey confirmed the presence of at least 52 wolves in 13 wolf packs with a total of 5 successful breeding pairs by the end of the year.  Wildlife managers emphasize that the actual number of wolves in the state is likely higher than those confirmed by the survey. The survey is not designed to account for every wolf within the state, but rather to monitor the species' progress toward recovery. 

http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/packs/
Like I said they know relatively close to the exact number being off by not that many... And second they post and say whatever they want on their little website... I don't trust a word they say based on the job they are doing in this state!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 10:00:12 AM »
Yes Idaho, I believe I reported that bunch.  It has been a long time.  I have however quit reporting them.  What a waste of time.     Yep, I have become part of the problem.   I know.    Those cute little furry buggers got those collars around their neck somehow.  Are you telling me they didn't know they were there?  It then took them 5 years to confirm.  Really??   

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 10:55:20 AM »
Yes Idaho, I believe I reported that bunch.  It has been a long time.  I have however quit reporting them.  What a waste of time.     Yep, I have become part of the problem.   I know.    Those cute little furry buggers got those collars around their neck somehow.  Are you telling me they didn't know they were there?  It then took them 5 years to confirm.  Really??   
Its not uncommon to not hear anything back when you report them, and if you are inferring that to mean your report was a waste of time then you do not understand the process.  So your complaint is not that they didn't confirm the pack...just that they did not confirm it in a timeline acceptable to you?
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Billdos Uncle

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 11:14:28 AM »
IT IS A WASTE OF TIME WHEN THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN NUMEROUS REPORTS! ESPECIALLY WHEN PACKS HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED IN THE AREA... SHOULDNT TAKE THAT LONG TO CONFIRM

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »
"SHOULDNT TAKE THAT LONG TO CONFIRM"

Are you a wildlife biologist?

Offline Billdos Uncle

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
"SHOULDNT TAKE THAT LONG TO CONFIRM"

Are you a wildlife biologist?
IT TAKES COMMON SENSE! THE MONEY WE PUT IT IS FAR TO GREAT TO TAKE THAT LONG TO CONFIRM WHEN THEY HAVE COLLARS ON THEM WHEN THEY ARE REPORTED!!! SUCH A WASTE OF MONEY AND IF U DISAGREE U MUST WORK FOR THE GAME DEPARTMENT...

Offline Billdos Uncle

• Tracker
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »
LOOK OVER EAST HOW THEY SAID THEY KILLED THE 4 THAT WERE KILLING ALL THE LIVESTOCK WHEN THEY ONLY KILLED ONE.. WHAT A JOKE OF A DEPARTMENT

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal