collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any starting points?  (Read 2798 times)

Offline rice201

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, NAHF
Any starting points?
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:44:17 AM »
So, I've been reading the boards for a while but have only ever been able to go out for deer hunts. Finally this year things are lining up where I'm going to have some dedicated bear time.
BUT... I could use some pointers on narrowing down my searches, right now I'm like a Jack Terrier going after a laser pointer.

I got some time early October where my son will be coming out with me (14) and I've been looking at the southwest site of the Olympics and east Snohomish/King county. I know each area has good/bad points, but I would love some feedback on these areas. We are looking at hiking in and camping for a couple nights.

Also, with how warm/hot it's been how quickly can the meat turn? I've heard it turns quickly but that was second-hand.

Thanks!

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: Any starting points?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 07:29:46 PM »
Find their food and you'll find them. I don't know those areas but getting away from the crowds will improve your odds, can also try calling them in with a distress call. As for the meat it all depends on your care of it. Plenty of info on that. Search threw the elk hunting threds. They seem to cover the subject often and need to work with meat during hot weather. October isn't normally that hot. Keep it dry and in the shade
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline rice201

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 01:54:39 PM »
Thanks for the pointers.
I've been focusing on the berry patches. It comes down to a 2hr drive vs. 6hr for the two areas which is why I was asking about the difference.
Either way it's worth it just to get out with my son.  :)

Offline rice201

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
So to add to this, I got out with my son last weekend and found LOTs of bear sign -- but not the source :)
But we had the campground all to ourselves with some great views and at night heard the elk bugling around us. I figured next time we go out to this area I'll bring my 22 as there were a lot of healthy size rabbits that would make a great dinner.
Coming home as we were driving down the mountain we got to see a couple of big elk walking down the forest road and some coyotes.

BUT, when we were out there and found the tracks and scat it became clear that I was fumbling around in the dark and not totally sure what I was doing. So, my question would be is there anyone who would like to meet up for a drink in the Mukilteo/Everett/Snohomish area and hear what we did and point out what I could do differently/better? PM me, I just want to learn.

Offline Florida_Native

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 12:39:27 PM »
I'm over in Spokane so not close. I did find that reading up on them is helpful. Duncan Gilchrist has a great book called "All About Bears". Also jut search the web for season tactics. I understand this time of year they need a lot of water so I like to be close to a source if I can.

To summarize you need to find, food, water and sign; then you need some luck!
Acts 10:12, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

Offline skagitsteel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/ryan.gaither.908
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 07:36:19 AM »
If you found fresh sign go back and hit it again :tup:
One of the keys is to go back and keep hitting areas they are working, just because you don't see them one day doesn't mean they aren't working the area regularly. 

Offline rice201

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »
Thanks guys! I'll check out that book and add it, I've realized that I haven't spent nearly the amount of time learning bears that I have deer.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]