collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Waterfowl Must Haves and Preferred Favorites on a Limited Budget  (Read 8699 times)

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Waterfowl Must Haves and Preferred Favorites on a Limited Budget
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »
A marsh seat is nice to have.

Offline EWUEAGLESHUNTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 08:57:09 PM »
Find yourself a friend who has already spent all the money on the gear, then mooch off of him for a year haha. In all seriousness though, I grew up learning how to hunt ducks and geese with my uncle and I find myself saying the same things he said to me when I am teaching guys how to hunt waterfowl. If you cant find somebody to let you tag along for a year with then I would do exactly what some of these guys have already said. Get a shotgun, steel shot, some chest waders, a dozen decoys and a duck call. I bought a double reed Flextone duck call a while back, its super easy to blow, costs 25 bucks at Walmart and sounds as good as any 50 or 60 dollar call you can buy.

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
  • Faith, Family, Hunting, Fishing, and Dogs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/tiebinds
    • The Tie That Binds: Outdoor Ministry
  • Groups: Christian Waterfowlers Association; NRA Life Member; GOA; DU; DW
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 10:13:59 PM »
Guys - great ideas! Thank you so much!

Today was my 42nd birthday and I was thinking about what I would buy with the gift cards from Sportsmans and Cabelas. Just looking for some great ideas.

I've had the pleasure of jump shooting over sloughs and fields with some pretty good accuracy - but I've always waited for the ducks to fly over land, because I couldn't reach them without a dog. The fishing pole with a treble hook idea is awesome. Gonna get that set up for sure! I've never hunted from a boat or a blind, but hope to some day. I've been blessed to hunt with some of my good friends and my son (now 12). Trying to figure out how to best enjoy the sport with the limited supply of funds I have.

Thanks guys!
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. - Psalm 127:3-5

Offline Patarero

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 10:43:35 PM »
I'll bite.

Dog, a well trained, steady dog is the most valuable thing.  Your are going to have to find a way around your wife on this one. 
Light weight waterproof jacket
Non-leaky waders

I don't get the face paint thing, did any duck hunters actually use this stuff before the duck commander and crew showed up on every piece of merchandise sold at wally world?  A face mask is just as effective and less of a hassle.   

Offline bone collector 12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 11:09:49 PM »
A good face mask,some warm waterproof clothes and gloves! Some shells and a fishin pull to retrieve ducks with,when hunting without a dog I would take a spool of decoy cord and tie on a square decoy weight onto and use that to get my birds, seems to fit in a pack better then a fishin pole

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 11:32:44 PM »

I don't get the face paint thing, did any duck hunters actually use this stuff before the duck commander and crew showed up on every piece of merchandise sold at wally world?  A face mask is just as effective and less of a hassle.   

I used too, before I even knew they filmed hunts. As my skills progressed i stop using it and it doesn't matter. I don't wear a face mask either.

If you looking for must haves:
USIA Waders
Functional shotgun
Quality jacket
Quality thermals
Positive attitude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
Duck commanders didn't invent the idea of face paint.
I wear glasses so a face masks are out of the question because it fogs my glasses up too bad.
Been using facpaint my whole life.   :tup:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:40:15 PM by BiggLuke »
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 08:18:55 PM »
Must haves Shotgun, Ammo, Waders.

Hotbuys are great and will last a long time if you use the flat clear enamal spray paint on them they chip less. I think feeding/resting 3 packs are the way to start off IMO.

The MOST overlooked even on here?

CALLING LESSONS! How to call, when to call, what to call and KNOW WHEN TO BE SILENT!

I had the ONLY part time tenured professor at CWU his name is Rodger Renolds. He was part time because he guided for ducks in the Columbia basin. His 30 year average was something like 4-5 ducks per man/day. Pretty good considering there were years where the limit was only 3. Oh and they were all Morning only hunts. I took his class and will tell you the MOST important lesson learned. Duck hunting over decoys had 3 main points. Concealment, Camo blinds no movement ect. Presentation, decoys, spread, calling ect. The MOST important is LOCATION! If you are where the ducks want to be, 3 of the rattiest decoys and no calling will get you limited out.

You can try and convince them to come to you but that means that means the other 2 points must be damn near perfect.

BTW Rodger Renolds blew a Willamette Valley call called the Come Duck. I have one and i think its sucks. He could make it sound awesome. One of the hunters on here that SLAYS ducks does so because he knocks on LOTS of doors and hunt on the X or as close to it as he can get with a half doz deeks and a double reed call.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »
I think the one most important piece of gear is a boat and the smaller the better.  I hunt public land exclusively and do very well on it.  The trick is getting into places nobody else goes to.  A light square stern canoe is ideal, with a 3hp motor you can haul a ton of gear, make good time going a long distance, so easy to conceal you don't need a blind(just pull it into the grass or cattails), it's light enough to pull or pole through places bigger boats can't get to.  For years I hunted the back corners of the Pothole resv. and never saw other hunters because they couldn't go where I did until the water came up a long way.  Here on the west side I can get into prime hunting areas on low tide that others can't get to until the tide comes in some.

If you can be on the X when the ducks want to be there you won't need a duck call, blind, dog or very many decoys.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Shoffy

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »
I started out with a cheep pair of hip waders and a camo coat. did some jump shooting on small marshes and  streams, then started adding decoys. great times. now I have a boat, way to many decoys and every toy known to man and two dogs. Thinking back, I think I had more fun in the early years and bagged as many birds, you can only get so many in a day. of course I am quite a bit lazier now and all the gear helps, but for fun, sometimes simple is best. we even used hand made cardboard goose decoys. killed more geese over those than the new hardcore spread of today. just go have fun and the stuff will come as it's needed.

Great post and advise ... That hits the nail on the head ... The basics of hunting and enjoying hunting

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]