collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Traditions Buckhunter Pro inline  (Read 5868 times)

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Traditions Buckhunter Pro inline
« on: September 14, 2014, 02:09:23 PM »
This is the first year that I am going to be Muzzle Loader hunting and as such I am borrowing a Muzzle Loader from my Grandfather. I am going to be hunting with an experianced Muzzy hunter. Basically what I am looking for is if anyone has advice for me. It is a 50 cal muzzy and I have about 50 rounds of leftover rounds my grandfather gave me to practice with. I plan on shooting all 50 of those rounds and then buying new ones to confirm zero and hunt with. I have no caps and no powder. What should I be looking for? I am very excited to try something new this year as I have killed deer with a rifle and bow already.
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Online tbotts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
Re: Traditions Buckhunter Pro inline
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »
I use and would recommend the following:  hodgdon triple 7  ff  powder.  Triple 7 fff is a pretty good powder also, but I like ff better.  Choose one powder to practice with and also use that powder to hunt with.  100 to 110 grains is almost always the load to use in any muzzleloader.  Increasing the load past 110 gr may be dangerous in your gun(check the owners manual) and probably wouldn't give you that much of an increase in velocity to be worth the extra recoil.  Buy a new pound of powder every year and dump out any old powder that you have.

Barnes expander spit-fire t-ez load 290 gr bullets.  These work really well out of my Knight Wolverine.  They may or may not be accurate out of your traditions, so grab a few different types/styles of bullets and try them.  I would not recommend using any powerbelts.  Do you know what twist rate your rifle is?  If it is 1 in 28 you should have no problem using a jacketed bullet with a sabot.

#11 caps.   I have tried cci and the rws, I think they both work fine.  Just make sure that you buy the correct cap for the size of your nipple.  They make both #10 and #11 caps.  If you use the wrong size, you may have problems with ignition and the caps just falling off.  Check your owners manual for the correct size.

peep sight if one is available for your rifle.  I have a XS Sight systems rear peep on mine and really like it.

at the range for shooting in and for accuracy, I shoot 3 shots before cleaning my gun to stimulate hunting conditions.  Because I dont ever see a situation where I will have to shoot and reload, for  an animal more than 3 times.  Then I clean and shoot again for group.  So essentially, shoot 3 bullet groups.
 Sometimes a bullet from a clean barrel will shoot to a different place than one from a dirty barrel.  If that is the case, before you load up for hunting, shoot a cap in your gun, with no bullet/powder, to foul the barrel. 

before shooting your gun, take it apart and clean it.  VERY IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE ANTI-SIEZE OR THREAD TAPE ON THE THREADS OF YOUR BREECH PLUG AND NIPPLE BEFORE PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER!!!!!  OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!
  If you forget to do that,  fowling from powder may make it difficult to remove the breech plug at the end of your shooting session. 

for some more info: check out this blog "RandyWakeman Outdoors"  He has a lot of articles on hunting with muzzleloaders.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 03:58:06 PM »
Awesome! Good stuff. keep it coming I like to read
Shane Falco

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 05:44:41 PM »
OK, all I can find right now is the Pyrodex "FF equivelant" Is that ok stuff? I plan on hitting ranch and home in the AM before I head to the range. I really cant afford to buy more than one thing of powder. I did find the pyrodex 50 gr. pellets in a pack of 100 whats the deal with these? I have two old things of caps in my Grandpas Muzzy kit, one was CCI #11 and one was a little green can and I can't remember what they said maybe 55 or something like that on them. Should I just buy CCI #11s?
Shane Falco

Offline Damnimissed

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »
Honestly, don't buy the pyrodex. It's more corrosive, harder to clean, and I I'm pretty sure produces lower velocity than 777 fffg. Oh, and unless you like the smell of rotten eggs (sulfur) wait til you can find some 777 fffg. I'll never use pyrodex again.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »
Thank you
Shane Falco

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 04:36:42 PM »
Well I couldnt find any 300Grain SST's in town so I bought a couple packages of 250 Gr. TC Controlled Expansion bullets. with 100gr of powder I was 5 inches high at 50yds. Have a friend in Tri Cities now looking to see if Ranch and home has any of the bullets I want. I shot that Muzzy 20 times on Tuesday....Ive got the loading process down a little better. Now I just need to keep shooting.
Shane Falco

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal