collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho wolves?  (Read 11125 times)

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Idaho wolves?
« on: September 14, 2014, 07:13:33 PM »
  I Have Been Lucky This Year!  Would Love To Tag A Wolf.  Any First Hand Experience, Or Info?

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Idaho wolves?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:18:23 PM »
They are tough to hunt...You can spend a lot of time and never see or hear a wolf, much less get a shot at one.  But if you want to target them specifically and you are not deer or elk hunting, I would wait until late in the year (December-February) when snow has animals congregated, you can track etc...much greater chance then...plus their hides will be in great shape!
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »
They are tough to hunt...You can spend a lot of time and never see or hear a wolf, much less get a shot at one.  But if you want to target them specifically and you are not deer or elk hunting, I would wait until late in the year (December-February) when snow has animals congregated, you can track etc...much greater chance then...plus their hides will be in great shape!

yup - good advice and I'd hunt them a lot like a WT buck during rut.   Sit in a tree 40 feet up with an attractant out front of you (grouse wings, feathers, guts etc). Maybe blow out a few Elk screams and sit tight.  Some bottled wolf pee for mock "scrapes" a lot like a buck too,  that'd get them riled up and hanging around for your hunts.   Around here I'd use distressed bovine screams for best effect.

Just spent 4 days being surrounded by wolves,  pee'n on top of my pee,  and coming to blow the elk out of dang near every call stand I made.   I wasn't too happy about it.
deer were almost completely wiped out,  few mules left on top over 6k but the WT were gone except the ones hugging the farm houses.  I didn't stumble on a single WT where 5 years ago I was tripping over them.   Big BIG change in hunting conditions in the last couple years.

looking forward to my first wolf tag for WA

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Urines/Timberwolf+Urine
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:54:13 PM by KFhunter »

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »
Well, now you know where to go...as close to NE Wa as you can get and still be legal  :chuckle: I spent the last several days scouting in Idaho and I heard and saw more bulls than I ever have...and the deer were literally everywhere!  I saw more 140+ WT bucks in one day than I have in the previous 2 or 3 seasons combined!  I never heard a wolf, saw a track or sign or any indication they were anywhere around. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »
Well, now you know where to go...as close to NE Wa as you can get and still be legal  :chuckle: I spent the last several days scouting in Idaho and I heard and saw more bulls than I ever have...and the deer were literally everywhere!  I saw more 140+ WT bucks in one day than I have in the previous 2 or 3 seasons combined!  I never heard a wolf, saw a track or sign or any indication they were anywhere around.

evidence of what aggressive predator control can do!

No such luck in WA  :'(    I was hunting a predator pit.

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »

I think I know where you were hunting KF and I have had the same experience there, really disgusting to see the impacts.  :bash:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »

more like good habitat and 4 or 5 easy winters in a row  :tup:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »
Ya ;D

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 05:59:03 PM »
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:24:23 PM »
Ya ;D

:yeah:
For a couple of guys who don't know me and don't have a clue where I hunt/scout you sure act like you know an awful lot about what might impact game numbers in this place you know nothing about.   

You would have a lot more credibility if you fellas reserved your "its the wolves fault" until or if you knew where I was even talking about :tup:

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 07:03:06 PM »
I was in Coolin for a week, last week. I saw 5 deer and no elk. Saw a lot of elk sign near Dickensheet rd though. No bugling either.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 09:56:47 PM »
Ya ;D

For a couple of guys who don't know me and don't have a clue where I hunt/scout you sure act like you know an awful lot about what might impact game numbers in this place you know nothing about.   

You would have a lot more credibility if you fellas reserved your "its the wolves fault" until or if you knew where I was even talking about :tup:

ya  :rolleyes:   

A magical wonderland in Idaho free of wolves with multi-specie trophy animals around every corner, and it's all due to magical habitat. 
What Disney show where you watching?  If there was a forest fire in the mix I'd guess Bambi, but I don't recall Elk in Bambi...hrm

Did Walt himself narrate it?   I need a hint, I'm not up on Disneynature (google it) as I could be.

credibility  :chuckle:

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 10:29:36 PM »
Ya ;D

ya  :rolleyes:   

A magical wonderland in Idaho free of wolves with multi-specie trophy animals around every corner, and it's all due to magical habitat. 
What Disney show where you watching?  If there was a forest fire in the mix I'd guess Bambi, but I don't recall Elk in Bambi...hrm

Did Walt himself narrate it?   I need a hint, I'm not up on Disneynature (google it) as I could be.

credibility  :chuckle:
:rolleyes: Oh, yes, you got it.  Winters and habitat have no effect on game abundance.  Animals are just randomly distributed on the landscape and controlled exclusively by predators. 

You keep whining about wolves surrounding you for 4 days...(sure you glad you were able to survive that scary ordeal...did they pee on you too?) and I will continue successfully hunting in Idaho and Washington like thousands of other hunters.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »
So what's keeping the wolves out of your magical hunting paradise Idahohntr?   A high fence?

If there's game there like what you're suggesting then it's a feast for wolves, cats and bears....so either there is a high fence or some PO'd locals doing what needs to be done on your behalf, so you can come here and brag all over HW how you found some magical habitat.  To suggest wolves haven't "found" your little valley yet is disingenuous at best. 

I'm guessing it's PO'd locals and a government that supports them doing what needs to be done. 
WA has no such luck so I was with 10,000's of unsuccessful hunters whose animals were already taken down or run out due to wolves and other predators. 

I seen my elk......in little piles scattered over 50 miles of roads and trails. 

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 11:18:55 PM »
So what's keeping the wolves out of your magical hunting paradise Idahohntr?   A high fence?

If there's game there like what you're suggesting then it's a feast for wolves, cats and bears....so either there is a high fence or some PO'd locals doing what needs to be done on your behalf, so you can come here and brag all over HW how you found some magical habitat.  To suggest wolves haven't "found" your little valley yet is disingenuous at best. 

I'm guessing it's PO'd locals and a government that supports them doing what needs to be done. 
WA has no such luck so I was with 10,000's of unsuccessful hunters whose animals were already taken down or run out due to wolves and other predators. 

I seen my elk......in little piles scattered over 50 miles of roads and trails. 
:rolleyes: You have no facts or idea or understanding of the area I hunt, yet you continue to run your mouth like you are an expert...you would make a fine WA politician...a fairly poor hunter it sounds like, but a really good politician  :chuckle:

There are wolves there...they are just tough to find amongst the herds of elk and deer.  No fences and no "locals" poaching predators...a few bears, cats, and wolves killed...but not many.  Access is very difficult and not conducive to anything but very serious hunters...this isn't driving down the back 40 where a few farmers are going to shoot all the predators on sight.  :tup: 

We've been down this road before though...any game I've ever killed is solely because of a secret band of poachers who keep the predators at low levels, which is the only factor in game abundance, and I just unknowingly benefit from these actions.   :tinfoil:

The lengths some people go to in order to rationalize their continued failure never ceases to amaze me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]