Remove all "Master Hunter" seasons for 460 and 4601
30 (25.4%)
Change "Master Hunter" Season to run during General Muzzle Loader season
3 (2.5%)
Limit "Master Hunters" to hunt only private land. No Public land or DNR
34 (28.8%)
Make "Master Hunters" Use Archery equipment only and wear Hunter Orange
3 (2.5%)
Im a "master hunter" leave my season alone.
48 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: How Many want "master Hunters" Out of North Bend, Snoq  (Read 28621 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: How Many want "master Hunters" Out of North Bend, Snoq
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2014, 06:27:41 AM »
Ridiculous is more like it.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2014, 07:04:27 AM »
Sure, the master hunter exam... it helps a discussion to know what this is about.  It's one of the reasons I figure it is possible to get a guy with a desk job and completely unfamiliar with the woods a Master Hunter Permit Program certificate in one month or less.

The exam:

A true master of hunting will be able to answer about 20% of the exam just fine without studying.  He will be able to know were glands are on certain critters, which bird tastes better than another, and so forth.  A book is provided to help others come up to speed on this trivia before taking the test.  Our hero had better study the other stuff that's provided or get a failing grade..

On a small slip of paper tucked in the package is the secret to the next 20% of the exam.  It says something like the permit candidate needs to know the state laws and regulations related to hunting.  This means all laws and the trivial stuff like who appoints whom and when.  Another 20% of the exam is about safety and conservation, similar to the questions that are in the hunter education courses.

Much of the rest of the exam is about the material in Dr. Norton's book.  The state provided me paperback copy of that book and assumed that I would read it before the exam.  The general theme is ponderings about the phases a hunter goes through and the hunter/landowner relationship, conservation history and so forth.

Conclusion:

So it is a mastery of selective trivia, ability to hit a dessert-sized paper plate with an arrow at 30yds or using a rifle at 100yds, afford $50 to confirm no violations, do some volunteer work on the side for a few days, attend a seminar, and sign a pledge that makes one a Master Hunter Permit Program member.  Since an ordinary hunter can get a license even if he cannot hit the side of a barn, I suppose this is an elevation of credentials of sorts, but using the term "master" is at best a gross exaggeration.

Yeah but what's your point? The state needed a way to find somewhat dedicated and responsible hunters to help with damage control hunts so they came up with this certification. The test IS hard, the volunteer hours required are significant. The only thing I'd like them to change is the marksmen test, it should be witnessed by them but that takes a lot of time and they aren't going to do that.

No one is going around like Dwight Shrute claiming Assistant Regional Manager with their Master Hunter status. Nobody thinks it makes them a 'master' of anything. Its just a name. People complaining about the name of the program are probably the same people complaining that iTunes gave them a free U2 album last week.

what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline Little Dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2014, 09:04:42 AM »
The interesting part of this for me is that the basis for the program is ethics, but the very name of the program is an unethical deception of trust between the state, the hunter, and the landowner.  The requirements for the program as they are do not meet the same kind of expectation someone might have for other types of masters like "master degree" or "master captain" in painting "the masters"

An accurate name for the program might be "Volunteer Hunter" or "Certified Hunter" but not "Master Hunter" 

Offline Little Dave

• Sourdough
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2014, 09:17:11 AM »
The elk damage issue in North Bend is real, and volunteers are needed to help control the elk outside of the hunting seasons.  However the state for years has simplified the season definition to be August 1 through March 31, fully overlapping the general hunting seasons.  This leaves the decision to place a master hunter on a property during or immediately before a general hunting season to the hunt coordinator, and the ethical decision to participate in that hunt to the permit holder.

Offline Little Dave

• Sourdough
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2014, 09:30:18 AM »
Some of the volunteers in the Master Hunter program do so for the spirit of volunteering.  If the program didn't exist, they would still be doing a lot of the same kind of volunteer work.  Some of the volunteers in the Master Hunter program are mainly interested in the opportunities to apply to hunts like the one on in North Bend for what seems like a sure thing meat hunt.  If it were not for the opportunity of special hunts, it is unlikely that they would go through the work of applying for the program.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2014, 09:44:44 AM »
The interesting part of this for me is that the basis for the program is ethics, but the very name of the program is an unethical deception of trust between the state, the hunter, and the landowner.  The requirements for the program as they are do not meet the same kind of expectation someone might have for other types of masters like "master degree" or "master captain" in painting "the masters"

An accurate name for the program might be "Volunteer Hunter" or "Certified Hunter" but not "Master Hunter"

What a crock, Dave, all due respects. You're getting hung up on if the name as unethical, really? The term is reflective only of the extra work and the clean history required to attain the certification and that's all. It's indicative of someone going beyond the normal steps needed to be a hunter, that's all. It's also the same term used for that same course by almost all western states. And in light of the requirements to be a regular hunter, it is an advanced education. Hunter education might take an adult a week or two to pass at the very most. If someone works diligently on the MH course, it'll take them a minimum of a couple of months unless they don't have a day job or other responsibilities. In addition, as has been pointed out, MHs have to prove shooting proficiency, another thing not required of regular licensed hunters.

As far as deception is concerned, there's no deception. The land owners are very clear about with whom they're dealing. If a Master Hunter uses the guidelines that he's been told are the basis for our ethical behavior, both in the field and out, the title accurate as far as the certified hunter having and using those guidelines. And, if the WDFW or a hunt coordinator gives instructions which end up in a disaster (like Skagit many years ago), that's not the fault of the MH. It's the fault of the administration and their planning.  The program itself is a very good one. Are there people with the MH certification who aren't always ethical? Of course there are. However, the program, especially in the last 5 years, has been concentrating on weeding out those who don't hold the ethics of their actions with high importance.

If you don't like the program (or in your case, the name of the program), don't participate and let the WDFW know about your concerns and do something positive to affect change in something you think is wrong. Otherwise, either enroll in the program and benefit from the many facets of it, or leave your sour grapes at the produce market. But at the very least, don't lay what you see as the downsides of the program at the feet of those who've done and continue to do the work. Make sure you're bringing your complaints to the right ears and aiming them at the right people.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2014, 09:49:22 AM »
Some of the volunteers in the Master Hunter program do so for the spirit of volunteering.  If the program didn't exist, they would still be doing a lot of the same kind of volunteer work.  Some of the volunteers in the Master Hunter program are mainly interested in the opportunities to apply to hunts like the one on in North Bend for what seems like a sure thing meat hunt.  If it were not for the opportunity of special hunts, it is unlikely that they would go through the work of applying for the program.

I'm glad to see that at least we're getting away from the broad strokes by using "some". Again, over the last 5 years, the emphasis of the program has been more and more about ethics, volunteerism, mentoring, interaction with non-hunters; those things important for shining a good light on hunting in general. There are still people who go through this just to get extra tag opportunities, but I think those people are less and less and the administration takes a hard view of those whose actions shed a bad light on the program, and on hunting in general.

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »
When was the last option changed?I thought it said leave the season alone now it says im a MH leave my season alone.I vote leave it alone but im not a MH yet.Deception comes to mind.
You must first be honest with yourself,Until then your just lying to everyone.

"The only one arguing is the one that is wrong"

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »
When was the last option changed?I thought it said leave the season alone now it says im a MH leave my season alone.I vote leave it alone but im not a MH yet.Deception comes to mind.

LMAO, I just saw that to. Someone is being a big cry baby. Take his toys and go home.

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »

I believe he knows he has been proven wrong on this thread so he's trying to twist the poll even more to sway his argument footing.  Too late... 

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2014, 01:44:53 PM »
Well shucks....how many times is the poll options going to change?

Mommy!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »
 :ban: Its my op that bull like this should be call for a short hunt washington ban.  :dunno:
You must first be honest with yourself,Until then your just lying to everyone.

"The only one arguing is the one that is wrong"

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2014, 02:02:13 PM »
I was looking for a Thomas the Train Engine pouty puffer image but this will have to do.

Yes, it is childish. However, since the OP will only rant and not engage in meaningfull discussion what is one to do. Happy Friday folks.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2014, 02:13:30 PM »
A wise man once said that when you find yourself in a hole, the best course of action is to stop digging.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline returnofsid

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2014, 05:37:51 PM »

Once the OP realized that the general consensus wasn't going as he'd planned, he edited the Poll Options to best suite his ideas of entitlement...I'm not surprised at all...

The OP obviously feels as if ANYONE who disagrees with his very entitled opinion, MUST be a Master Hunter.  Changing the Poll Option, furthers his cause.  I strongly disagree with the OP, and my vote reflects that, yet I'm not, nor ever have been, a Master Hunter, even if one in my own mind...lol
2013 Hoyt Carbon Element G3 28"DL/60-70lb DW Purchased new, 4/26/2014
Fuse Carbon Interceptor 7 pin sight
Hoyt/QAD HD Fall Away Rest
TightSpot Quiver
GT XT Hunter @ 440 Gr. Total Weight
100 grain Muzzy 3 blade and/or 100 grain Magnus Snuffer SS Broadheads

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Mtnwalker
[Today at 05:24:30 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 05:23:46 PM]