collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thinking of new rifle for daughter.  (Read 7502 times)

Offline ROCKWHEELER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Thinking of new rifle for daughter.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 09:01:34 PM »
Also savage model 11 muddy girl only $660 msrp. Showed the thing to my wife now she wants one.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 12:03:52 AM »
The main difference between this and the Hawkeye from what I can see is the All-Weather is 1/4 lb lighter with an 1-1/2" longer barrel and a rotary magazine. Not sure what to think about the rotary magazine. more pondering I guess.

Ruger's Rotary magazine is sweet!  Wish it used the same materials as the 10/22, but it is still freakin great!  Wish Sako and Tikka magazines were even half as good!  As for the American...not my cup of tea.  But for the money they are dang hard to beat in 22" models!!!

If the Lady Hunter, Vanguard Youth, M70 Compact or the Micro Hunter came in stainless we would have no less than one for each of us!  Really ticks me off that Ruger dropped the stainless RL/Lightweight in favor of that toy compact >:(
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:16:40 AM by RadSav »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
Well, I happened to stop by East County Guns today, and they happened to have a Ruger All-Weather Compact in 7mm-08 for $399 Not a bad little gun for the price. I loaded and unloaded the rotary magazine and it seemed to work great. I think I like it. They even had extra mag's in stock. So then I stopped by Northwest Hydroprint to find out how far out they are, 2-1/2 weeks. I think I may stop by the gun store tomorrow and give Andy some money, again. He's getting pretty good at getting in my wallet, he knows my weakness's.   :chuckle:

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 08:23:21 PM »
I think she will really like the short throw bolt too!  :tup:

Offline bigsads

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 10:47:03 PM »
Andy is a great guy to know and buy from,  I looked at that rifle not long ago.   I walked out for once without buying something.   Nice job keeping money local

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 06:41:05 PM »
Andy is a great guy to know and buy from,  I looked at that rifle not long ago.   I walked out for once without buying something.   Nice job keeping money local

Ya, I've bought at least a half dozen guns from Andy, and another one today.  :chuckle:

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 05:58:18 PM »
Well I picked it up today. Ruger American All-Weather Compact, Leupold 3-9X33 Ultralight CDS with butler Creek caps an extra clip and a sling. Bore sighted and ready to go out back to the shooing range tomorrow. Anxious to see how it shoots.

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »
Well so much for that plan. Figured I would cycle a few rounds through it to see how it feeds and how that rotary magazine works. Feeds like crap, would jam about a third of the time. Tried the spare clip to see if it changed anything, it did, fed the first two and would not feed any more. Ruger is not impressing me. It's going back to Andy.

Offline packmule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 07:58:27 PM »
Before you get rid of it try a very light application of a spray lubricant like WD-40, that often does the trick.  This is a common problem with things like rotary magazines and automatic actions that are new.

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
Before you get rid of it try a very light application of a spray lubricant like WD-40, that often does the trick.  This is a common problem with things like rotary magazines and automatic actions that are new.
Ya, that's the first thing I thought also, didn't help. It's a pretty cheesey extractor on these things, I think that's part of the problem.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 10:43:30 PM »
Get the M77 compact ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 11:00:47 PM »
Buy this gun for her, and when she is done with it I will do you a solid and take it off your hands for you.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=444482833

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 11:10:05 PM »
Well I picked it up today. Ruger American All-Weather Compact, Leupold 3-9X33 Ultralight CDS with butler Creek caps an extra clip and a sling. Bore sighted and ready to go out back to the shooing range tomorrow. Anxious to see how it shoots.

Glad to see you got the 3-9X scope, that would have been my suggestion instead of a 2-7X.  Sorry to hear of your problems with the rifle though, hope you get it worked out.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 03:19:37 AM »
Wow!  I have never seen or heard of anyone having that problem with the American.  Plenty of problems with barrel to stock contact (barrel not centered in stock) but never a feed problem!  Ruger's customer service has always been first rate and responsive when I've needed to call them.  Worth a try!

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 02:36:03 PM »
Well, went back to visit Andy at the gun store. Tried a couple different kinds of ammo, 2 out of 3 kinds fed like crap and often jammed. It only liked the Federal Fusions and didn't feed them great. He had another identical rifle there so we tried it. It fed all 3 kinds much better, not silky smooth like a $1,000 rifle but ok like the $400 rifle that it is. So a quick switch of the scope and the problem is fixed, I have a different gun. Now to see how it shoots.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal