collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Restrict Archery and ML seasons to 9 days.  (Read 30845 times)

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: Restrict Archery and ML seasons to 9 days.
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »
I find this whole thread ridiculous, many of the comments included.  Here is why.....We all make comments wildly accusing people of not being a hunter due to distance of shot taken, or one weapon or method being better than the other.  That is the part that is ridiculous.  We all have different reasons for hunting, different desires, different methods, different weapons, different motiviations, and different experiences to name a few.
It was said on here one time, by a moderator.
 - Some hunters hunt for meat and are perfectly content with that
 - Some hunters choose a weapon based on the season as an opportunist
 - Some hunters select the weapon method due to their love for that particular weapon
 - Some hunters select season based on time off or GMU of choice
 - Some hunters select species to hunt based on opportunity
 - Some hunters are trophy hunters and looking for the largest possible animal.
 - Some hunters use tree stands, ground blinds, still hunting, spot and stalk, or run and gun
 - Some hunters like the kill.
 - Some hunters like the chase
 - Some hunters just like to be away from the rat race and be out in the woods with birds chirping and chipmunks giving away their location.
 - Some hunters like to be gear whores and buy the newest fangled gadget.
 - Some hunters hunt the areas they do with the weapons and styles of choice based on the way their families and mentors did it.  It is what they know.

My point is that it is wrong to put down one method, reason, etc., just because you don't agree with it, and it isn't the way you would do it.  I have spent the last 4 years since I read this statement trying to understand why I do what I do.  It wasn't until I looked inward and tried different methods that I gained an appreciation for the entire sport and different methods.  I think it is very short sighted to put each other against one another over methods, ideas, and reasons for doing what we do.  Nothing is to gain from it.  This entire thread is designed to start an argument between us. :stirthepot:

If you want to have a real discussion on the subject, let's talk about why we do what we do.  Is it the thrill of the chase?  Is it the rush of the bugle in your face from 12 paces away?  is it the meat on the table?  Or is it a blend of all these things with some ranked higher than others?

If I were a moderator, I would lock this thread unless the direction changes, because so far there is no postive input in the discussion.

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2014, 02:31:44 PM »
I find this whole thread ridiculous, If I were a moderator, I would lock this thread unless the direction changes, because so far there is no postive input in the discussion.

GOD! Lets all just hope you never become a mod, tho you'd fit right in im sure.

Offline Billdos Uncle

• Tracker
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2014, 02:34:55 PM »
I find this whole thread ridiculous, If I were a moderator, I would lock this thread unless the direction changes, because so far there is no postive input in the discussion.

GOD! Lets all just hope you never become a mod, tho you'd fit right in im sure.
:yeah:

Offline Kazekurt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • The trophy is in the hunt; the animal is a bonus!
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2014, 05:53:03 PM »
First off, I think the  op may have just been trolling for a lark when he started this thread; but if we assume he is serious  then his argument is essentially this: he feels that rifle hunters are being slighted or disadvantaged  by not having  the same length of season as archery hunters.  oP, if you really feel this way you might want to rethink your position as evening them out may have consequences you won't like.; especially in WA.  If you think there is to much orange out there now, throw all the bow hunters and ML hunters back into the rifle season  even if its extended and  the quality of your hunting experience is probably going down.  Furthermore, most of the bow hunters I know in the mule deer country are very proficient with a rifle(which is why many switched to bow hunting), are willing to spend lots of time afield and scouting, and are generally in pretty good physical shape.  These guys will most likely kill more trophy bucks with a rifle than they do with a bow leaving less for you to shoot and also less to survive to the rut and spread their genetics.  You may gain more days afield but your hunt quakity may go down.  I hunt MT for mule deer and hunt it with a rifle since their is little incentive to bow hunt(after the early season) when you get a month long rifle season that falls during the rut.  Crowd control isn't as big of an issue there and they manage for a family experience which is fine but if you did the same thing in WA I'd venture that 90% of is would be hunting the rut with our rifles.  I'd like to say that many of the bow hunters would stay with it for the challenge but that would change quickly the first time somebody shot long range over the top of them at a Buck during one of their stalks. 

Offline Kazekurt

• Scout
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2014, 06:07:47 PM »
All that being said, mega props to MLB!  In six years of hunting Montana, he is the only guy I've encountered packing a bow around during the rifle season:-). I know it cost you a decent Whitetail last year that you could've had with a rifle but it earned my respect!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2014, 07:32:13 PM »
No need to lock this thread. This is the exact type of discussion many of us enjoy participating in. It's not like simply talking about it is going to make it happen.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2014, 08:32:01 PM »
Ok maybe not shorten archery season but then Do away with limiting what hunting method you are going to use. If you purchase a deer tag you get to go hunting with the weapon during the appropriate "Season" why restrict modern or ML to a few days when archery has all dayum late summer and fall....
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2014, 08:36:50 PM »
Ok maybe not shorten archery season but then Do away with limiting what hunting method you are going to use. If you purchase a deer tag you get to go hunting with the weapon during the appropriate "Season" why restrict modern or ML to a few days when archery has all dayum late summer and fall....

So get rid of the choose your weapon regulation?

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »
Why not just do away with modern rifle seasons?

That would leave lots of game for us archers and muzzleloaders?

(sorry, but I thought as long as we were picking on each other that this actually made more sense, because we could all have longer seasons.)
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Kazekurt

• Scout
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2014, 08:45:15 PM »

They are kind of moving in this direction as they've increased the multi tags several times.  Unfortunately, I think it's more about generating money then it is about allowing more access.  At least, they rarely seem to sell out so you can do it it just cost you $180.  I pay it every year and always seem to get my moneys worth as days afield are important to me.  Montana has the running season with no weapon restrictions and it's nice.  It might cause a little crowding in Washington but you would still only get one deer.  I think the multi success rate runs about 10% higher so it would result in a few more animals being killed but that could be accounted for.  I don't see the state ever giving up the increased tag fee though

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »

So a deer tag automatically is a multi-season tag.  Never happen..  Takes revenue away from the state! :sry:

What exactly is your point or desired result from this Jingles, are you looking to lower harvest numbers, or just pissed because Modern has a shorter season?  If the latter, as has been said, then pick up your bow and enjoy the earlier and longer season!  If the former, then going multi-season makes no sense as you would drastically increase the pressure over a longer period of time on the herds so hunting quality for all would go down.

Offline Kazekurt

• Scout
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2014, 08:51:15 PM »
Why not just do away with modern rifle seasons?

That would leave lots of game for us archers and muzzleloaders?

(sorry, but I thought as long as we were picking on each other that this actually made more sense, because we could all have longer seasons.)

I'm pretty sure you meant this as a joke but I would never be in favor of this.  The moment we don't need guns for hunting the Libs will think we don't need them period.  Plus, some hunters have injuries and such where muzzle loader and archery are not really options for them.  We certainly don't want to reduce our numbers or the antis will overrule us. everybody deserves the right to play we just have to find a happy balance.  If it were up to me, we would do more for the youth hunters though.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2014, 09:08:31 PM »
You only have this kind of discussion in a "choose your weapon" state.  Most states the archery season is 3+ months long.  Nary a whisper of envy from the modern folks, because they can hunt with a bow if they want to.

To give an example of this, here's how it works in Arizona:

On January 1, you can buy an OTC archery deer tag. You can hunt January 1-31, 3 weeks in Late Aug/Early Sept, and then last two weeks of December with it. When the June rifle drawing comes out, you can put in for a rifle tag in hopes of drawing an Oct, Nov, or Dec rifle deer tag. If you draw it, you can still hunt the Aug/Sept season with the bow and tag out then if you want to, and also hunt your October tag if you haven't killed one with a bow by then. If you don't manage to kill one in October, you can kill one in December with the bow again. Bag limit is one deer per hunter per year, but you effectively have two interwoven hunting options. Some travel in from out of state for the last few days of the year and kill two deer in one trip, one for the 2014 OTC archery tag and then a few days later with the 2015 OTC tag.

Offline no.cen.wa

• Hunter
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2014, 09:20:02 PM »
I think the seasons are about right, I only care to hunt 1 week so 9 days of MR works for me. I don't like the season being so early, I hunted for years when it ran onto the first part of November and always hunted the last week.
That being said,,, WDFW is trying to make MONEY! count the MR licenses, thats where they make the money and it won't change. Just the fact, they want the MONEY!
   John

Offline Snapshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2014, 09:26:27 PM »
...What I would really like to see is a true primitive season combined. Hunters limited to sidelock ML,s of the hawken kentucky rifle variety and archers limited to wood long bows-recurves only and lets have a 20 day season. Relegate the inlines, compounds and crossbows to modern only. Return to the original intent of ml and ar seasons in Wa.

:yeah:
I'd just like to remind everybody that it's about the hunting, not just the killing. In other words, it's about the total experience, the sport itself and the challenge involved. Bowhunting, done right, is a justifiable and honorable pursuit. Done for the wrong reasons, simply chalking up kills and seeking personal glory, it's taking away rather than giving back to a principled way of life that has to be experienced to be understood. G.StCharles

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]