collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: High buck cape care?  (Read 3901 times)

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
High buck cape care?
« on: September 16, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »
Leaving Friday for my first high buck hunt and won't be back till the 26th. I'm curious how to care for the cape should I get a nice buck?
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: High buck cape care?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:27:56 PM »
You don't have a lot of time.  You pretty much need to salt or come out.   I dont think most capes this time of year are that nice and with packing my meat out with gear, the cape gets left behind, even if it is a monster.     Better have a horse.     

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 04:27:36 PM »
So if I've never salted a cape ( or even caped out an animal ) you guys are saying I'd be better off buying a cape? Pretty sure by the time we broke camp, rode out , loaded up and hit home we would easily be over 12 hours.

Bone that's a truly amazing buck you got this year. So you left that cape of his ? Are you going to mount it, and if so did you take a bunch of pics and measurements?

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
If I was alone I'd be planning to get out right after the kill within a day or two,
If I'm with a buddy and I know I may be there awhile after I kill waiting for him I would pack salt.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
All good points.
12 hours is way fast enough.   I am talking 24hours-48.   Will also depend on temp.

So if I've never salted a cape ( or even caped out an animal ) you guys are saying I'd be better off buying a cape? Pretty sure by the time we broke camp, rode out , loaded up and hit home we would easily be over 12 hours.

Bone that's a truly amazing buck you got this year. So you left that cape of his ? Are you going to mount it, and if so did you take a bunch of pics and measurements?

Yes I left the cape.   He had his grey, and his summer was completely shed.  Sometimes they have a good mix or long summer hairs still on.   It was short though and was fairly unremarkable.    No, I didn't take measurements.   That would have been smart.  I have enough forms around I can probably come up with one that will match close enough to his skullcap to look good.   

There is no way I am packing salt into where I am going.  Remember, I am cutting handles off of toothbrushes if I even take one.     Andddddd with a load of meat, its not even practical to think I could haul a cape out.   I have in the past.  Plenty of times, but different circumstances. 

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »
All good points.
12 hours is way fast enough.   I am talking 24hours-48.   Will also depend on temp.

Yes I left the cape.   He had his grey, and his summer was completely shed.  Sometimes they have a good mix or long summer hairs still on.   It was short though and was fairly unremarkable.    No, I didn't take measurements.   That would have been smart.  I have enough forms around I can probably come up with one that will match close enough to his skullcap to look good.   

There is no way I am packing salt into where I am going.  Remember, I am cutting handles off of toothbrushes if I even take one.     Andddddd with a load of meat, its not even practical to think I could haul a cape out.   I have in the past.  Plenty of times, but different circumstances.

Sounds like you need a pack mule Bone! Im in!

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »
Leaving Friday for my first high buck hunt and won't be back till the 26th. I'm curious how to care for the cape should I get a nice buck?

By any chance are you going in with an outfitter because it almost sounds like you are the group I'm taking in tomorrow ( Friday) and bringing out the 26th.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 04:21:14 PM by Jingles »
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »

By any chance are you going in with an outfitter because it almost sounds like you are the group I'm taking in tomorrow ( Friday) and bringing out the 26th.
.  No outfitter. Going with a good friend that's been doing it for awhile.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 06:30:28 AM »
Are you packing/wrangling for someone Jingles or on your own?

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »
We had a guide flesh out and salt our moose - took hours but even then taxi said there were some small spots that didn't get enough salt and any longer could have lead to hair loss, also some of the fat/cartilage was too thick to allow the salt to fully cure the hide and could have been a problem.  He said treat the hide like a piece of meat you want to eat - as long as you keep it cool or cold and dry you have some time.   Salt only as last resort.  keep dry on ice if possible. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal