collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I cant decide...  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
I cant decide...
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »
I cant decide whether to shoot the first mature doe I see or wait for a buck. I will be hunting the same area for muzzleloader elk the week before modern deer opens so I guess depending on what I see during elk season may make that call for me. I have seen some good bucks in the area over the last couple years. It is an either sex unit. I want to focus on my step-sons hunting this year though, so if I tag out on the first mature doe I see then I will know I am not eating tag soup and will still have plenty opportunity to focus on him. But then again I do have from the opening day till the 18th off of work so in theory I should have plenty of time but then my luck the only doe I will see is opening morning haha. Last time I went into a hunt not sure on this I passed a big doe that turned its head and ended up being a 3 pt, that half second of hesitation on it resulted in a bad shot, my own fault, shouldnt of shot like I did, luckily it just took a couple hairs off his back and no blood. This year I want to go in with that decision made ahead of time, not contimplating it the entire time I am out there and having to make the rash decision when there is an animal there. Any thoughts?

Offline ROCKWHEELER

• Tracker
Re: I cant decide...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »
What do you want more meat in the freezer or a nice set of horns? If it was me I would hunt for a buck until halfway then go meat hunt. My main focus would be getting your stepson his animal. My :twocents:

Offline Jolten

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:28:54 PM »
I'd get my son the deer first.
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 02:26:39 PM »
Thats the plan, but with me having weekdays off and him being in an accelerated program at school he cant take much off from school, so I am thinking more of the days where it will be just me. If it is days where he is hunting with me he has first poke no matter what, I only shoot if i absolutely need to.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 03:04:54 PM »
Sounds like a great plan!

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 03:28:43 PM »
good plan! if by your self take what you can get and then focus on your son. will alleviate any pressure on you and allow you to put all your effort into his deer. His first will be the memory that you will carry with you, not your last.

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 05:59:31 PM »
Actually, he got his first deer last year,  :tup: Hoping for his first elk this year.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal