collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: LR 6x6, pic and story  (Read 9056 times)

Offline huntinluva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
LR 6x6, pic and story
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:10:01 AM »
Although I do not post much if anything on the forum I am always scouring the threads and thought this bull and story were worthy of sharing.

My great friend and longtime hunting buddy Ryan and I had been into elk the day prior (9/3) with me missing an opportunity on a cow at 40 yards.  Bottom line is I pulled my bow to the left due to excitement and smacked a tree, the tree won with me losing a broadhead.  This miss would prove to work in my favor though the thought of the miss lingered throughout the rest of the day and evening.

The next morning we woke up later than usual, dinked around in camp drinking coffee and talking about how we should probably hit the woods and kill a bull.  My buddy dropped me off at the road I had planned to walk up with him going further up and diving in.  I made it to my entry point into the woods with a game plan to hit another road higher up and explore a knob and small meadow that seemed promising.  While working my way through the timber I would stop and calmly cow call every 75-100 yards or let out a locator bugle and listen intently for any noise.  The woods were quiet this day with little to no wind.  As I proceeded on my hike continuing to call I had been unsuccessful at drawing a response from anything.  After about an hour of this repetitive calling I had almost made it to the blowdown covered skid road I needed to cross to get to the knob and meadow.  I thought what the heck I will let out another locator.  As soon as I pulled the bugle tube away from my lips I was hit with an immediate response bugle.  I thought there is no way that could be another hunter responding that quickly and my partner and I had been the only ones in the area and he wasn't close to me.  Game on!  I crept closer to where the bugle came from, cow calling and letting out a short chuckle sequence to keep the bull interested.  He bugle for a second time much closer, my heart was racing.  I needed to get to a more open area that would allow a good shot.  A third bugle rang out close and I immediately cut him off with a bugle of my own.  Hook, line and sinker.

Heart pounding and mind racing thinking this might actually pan out I positioned myself next to a narrower trunk.  I began to hear his movement, then his heavy breathing and then he materialized out the vine maple and brush.  Legal bull is all told myself not looking at his antlers too long.  If he continues on his path there will be no shot due to thick underbrush.  He veers to his right and walks towards my lanes.  Perfect.  He casually walks behind a large tree and I come to full draw.  He walks into the opening and I cow call with my mouth reed to no avail.  He tweaks his ears slightly and takes another couple steps.  I cow call again much louder and he stops.  THWACK from 12 yards!!  He tears off and I see my entry point behind the shoulder where I aimed.  I cow call and let out a bugle to try and calm him down.  I maintain visual for as long as the timber allows.  I stand at my narrow tree thinking holy crap did that just happen??!!  I find my arrow at the spot I hit him, pick it up and my stomach turns, guts on the fletchings.  No way I tell my self, I saw the entry spot and he wasn't quartering to. Now I am second guessing everything, the highest of highs to the lowest of lows.  I give him 30 minutes and finally reach my hunting buddy on the radio, "I just shot a bull!" his reply, "On my way".  Another 30 minutes go by and after more radio communication with Ryan I decide to start tracking.  No blood, no blood, no blood....great.  I find his digs in the extremely dry forest floor and meticulously follow them, lose them, get back on them, lose them again.  I survey the timber in front of me and think which route would I take if I were an elk, left it is.  After another 25 yards, a deep sigh of relief, he was down, only 65-70 yards from where I shot him.  High fives, hugs, hooting and hollering, pictures, reflection and the plethora of emotions one goes through is indescribable.  6x6 public land bull, OTC DIY, to boot my first bull and first archery kill in only my second year of hauling around a stick and string.  The arrow entered exactly where I had aimed but deflected and exited towards the hind quarter through his guts, phew!

The time and money spent paid off and I cannot thank Ryan enough for being by my side through all of it nor can I forget to thank my wife for putting up with the hours of practice, money, calling and scouting.  After taking a few cows over the past years muzzleloader hunting the elation of getting a bull on the ground with my bow is a tremendous feeling.  Right place and right time with a bull that was willing to play, luckily for me I didn't screw up the short time needed to get the job done and executed.   A day I will never forget, thanks for reading, good luck to everyone else out there this season, KCBO.

Brandon

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: LR 6x6, pic and story
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to add your story and photo to the forum.   Sounds like it worked out perfectly.    :tup:

Offline Dode

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »
Great job and a nice bull. Congrats!!
Mountain top!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »
Agreed. Awesome bull...congrats, and thanks for sharing. That's what it's all about.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »
Great job.  Yeah if he wants to play and you cut him off.   :chuckle:   its game on
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 10:17:11 AM »
Awesome story and great animal  :tup:
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline brianb231

• Longhunter
    • NorthWest Metal Art
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »
Very Nice! great job!!! :tup:

Offline skeeter 20i

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
 :drool:  Thanks for sharing your story!!  Congrats.  :tup:
"The world is changed by your example, not your opinion."

Offline TheHunt

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
That is a good bull.  Congrats to the hunter and the team overall.
275 down 2

Offline bowhunterty

• Longhunter
  • Hunt Hard or Stay Home!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »
Nice. Good bull.

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 10:50:22 AM »
Great story. Thanks  :tup:

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 11:07:18 AM »
excellent!! :tup:

Offline elkoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 11:38:22 AM »
Congrat's  Brandon. Good looking bull.. Almost like I've seen him it in person  :chuckle:
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be, time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, the animals, and fish that live there”.- Fred bear

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 11:44:41 AM »
Good write up. Congrats on your trophy!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:55:21 PM by X-Force »
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »
Congratulations, Brandon.  It is really good of you to post your story here (and return the favor of knowledge to the broader community).  Thank you for doing this.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal