Advertisement

Author Topic: HOGS  (Read 29487 times)

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: HOGS
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2014, 06:14:56 AM »
Ditto with Snakeriver 10, a yard of concrete, some curbs, a little vapor barrier and foam board where they sleep and a frost free nipple waterier makes for happy healthy pigs.  Got a patch of quakegrass that needs to be a garden?  Temporary fence it and let the rooters clean it up.  No plowing needed.  Then back to the permanent pen.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2014, 10:59:40 AM »
For all people looking to get into raising pigs, I would suggest very highly in having a concrete pen, you don't need allot of room, you want most of the feed to go into growing, not into energy to run around.  Pigs are very clean animals though, just not when dirt is involved and I also believes by having no dirt around, it gives a cleaner taste of meat.  Really a simple animal to raise though and are great for kids to show in 4h and FFA without too much effort.
I agree, we keep all our hogs on concrete except in their barn(plank bottoms) we used 2" galvanized pipe for posts set in the concrete. Then attached either chain link fencing or welded wire panels. Then poured our concrete. Pig will destroy just about all they can touch! Our huts are floating(air gap underneath) and surrounded by concrete yard.  Had to anchor the huts as well cause they would push the huts around once they realized it moves.  Fort Knox was our plan. Once a pig learns how to escape they quickly become pros!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2014, 03:03:05 PM »
haven't had to contain little feeder pigs yet, but electric fence has these two well under control.

They don't go near it,  I didn't realize it was unplugged for a week and still no tracks in the snow within 3 feet of the electric fence.   

I got the biggest meanest charger I could find and when it hits you hear a good loud  *snap* and very loud squeal, the boar wasn't fence trained but he learned really quick.  The sow was fence trained and she's never been zapped that I know, she recognized the electric for what it was and stayed well clear.  Now the boar doesn't go near it either.

I used metal T posts and ran a ground wire all the way around the pen wrapped around the T posts several times then on to the next T post.  Works very well.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »
KFhunter, getting close to piglets, what about three weeks give or take? Are you all set up? What does your farrowing stall look like? From what I have heard and read you could be in for a larger litter. I have been following this thread from the beginning. Best of luck to you.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2015, 07:26:28 PM »
It's day 114 - I got my fingers crossed.  Her teets have dropped, no milk yesterday.  I didn't squeeze them today.  I'll give them a pinch tomorrow see if there's milk yet.

For the stall I've made a 6x10 shed with 3 feet of it blocked off with a pass under and a heat lamp on that side. 

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2015, 07:56:30 PM »
Hope everything goes well, it's been fun reading all the posts on your pig project. Hope to see photos soon of little slabs of bacon running around.  :chuckle:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2015, 06:27:53 PM »
no piglets yet, getting worried

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2015, 06:42:38 PM »
If this is her first time they often carry late.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2015, 09:24:43 PM »
Suppose to be her 3rd litter,  when I picked up the sow she had one weaner left with her still pulling on a teet

the boar sired a lot of pigs and was replaced by a new non-related boar.

So they're both proven,  she stood for the boar on 10/19/2014 and didn't budge until he got down about 5 minutes later.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2015, 09:33:25 PM »
Sounds like it should be good. We have had sevrel sows go 4 months. What is her attitude like. Is she extra talkative? Quick low grunts? Has milk dropped?
If her teats don't look FULL! Tight skinned and attitude hasn't noticeable changed I'd say you have a couple weeks left and she didn't take that particular cycle

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2015, 11:50:02 PM »
I could spot a pregger cow a mile off, but pigs are harder to tell.   Vulva expanded some, bit more droopy than in summer but not a lot, not like a cow. 
Teets are more formed, but no bag to them and belly isn't low enough.

wondering if she didn't take that breeding, but afterwards she always kept the boar off her never witnessed another heat cycle after that.   

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2015, 08:57:25 PM »
It should be quite evident if she is as close as you are thinking. By now it should be very clear. If she is running with the boar she may have taken the next cycle. With both pigs proven it should be a done deal. Good luck and still looking to see these piglets.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2015, 10:50:55 AM »
I had them together all summer only separated them a week before I thought she'd drop,  hopefully the next cycle took or I got a boar shooting blanks or a sow that won't take or both.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2015, 09:50:55 PM »
OK

no piglets yet, she was supposedly bred 10/19 when I witness the boar mounted for a long period of time.  I left the boar in with her for almost 4 months only took him out a week before she should have been due..so I guess he was in 3 months 2 weeks with her, so should have covered several cycles if she didn't take.  I never witnessed her standing or acting like she did when the boar bred her after 10/19.  She pursued the boar...demanded to be bred.

no real signs of her being ready either, might have seen some clear discharge today though but no milk. 

wondering if I should sausage them both or try a new boar?  boar was a breeder from a guy with lot's of pigs seen a lot of service,  sow had a couple weeners with her when I picked her up.  both proven.

I got in line for a couple of fair pigs so at least the kiddies will have something to show in FFA

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2015, 05:54:28 AM »
How olds the boar? He may have gotten lazy.  After 3 months she should be good to go. We often keep the boar with the sows about 8-10 weeks.  When the sows become touch-me-nots with the boar they are normally bred.  She may have taken way later than you thought also. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal