collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: cow tag drawn in naenum/clockum area  (Read 2619 times)

Offline lilshootergirl

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • lilshootergirl
cow tag drawn in naenum/clockum area
« on: September 18, 2014, 10:12:40 PM »
  I got drawn for a cow tag, I've hunted liberty area but when the season opens everything is gone. Not sure if I should go up Colmen canyon road? Any suggestions? Opens October 29th. But can go hunt spike earlier. Would rather take a tender cow. Does anyone have a better place around there to start? Does anyone know where the herd heads when the modern rifle starts? Or are they everywhere? Thanks
I'm a huntress.

Offline jason stevens

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
Re: cow tag drawn in naenum/clockum area
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »
Looking forward to being apart of this adventure. :tup:

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 10:13:32 PM »
Dont pass up a nice young spike over an old lead cow :)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
Do you live over on this side?  When are you hunting?  Do you have help?

I can often find cows heck i can usually find bulls just true spikes I never see.  I hunt the area you are talking about and would be happy to meet and show you a spot or two.  You can ask Jennyfell I dont bite, suck as a turkey guide but I am not scary and I like helping the other females on the forum.  I will say with the fires the animals are in a little different locations this year than the last at this time. 

I will be looking for spike on my own this season, as I have no hunting partners, so if you want a little help just holler.

Offline lilshootergirl

• Women's Board
  • Tracker
    • lilshootergirl
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 02:05:09 PM »
Hi, I'll be camping Coleman. I live on westside. I've hunted this area 4 times. Spikes are far and few. Didn't care for the clockum seen. If I didn't get drawn I have a honey of a place in south east but the challenge is to get the herd to move off 4-0s property. My friends had offers on their property but turned them down. Next year I'm doing a drop camp in Idaho or Wyoming. I'd like to get a big bull to hang on my wall. Hope we meet up there.
I'm a huntress.

Offline br8kitoff

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 08:13:55 PM »
I've hunted the area for many years, archery.  We moved 2 years ago simply due to the true spike rule.  I've shot a few of them, however with the lessening of pressure over there due to people leaving you really have to get around. My assumption was that they were going to be pushed hard this year so it could've been similar to old times.  Rifle I have no clue, however I can tell you that they should be around the preserve. You should also try to get away from the roads as I've heard many rifle guys hunt the roads.  I typically stay around Judy's tamarack area.  You can hunt many areas right out of camp. I would say the face below the ridge, winch hill, or head thru the timber east toward the powerlines(2) sets that border the west side of the preserve, just don't be one of those guys that shoot one on the line and watch it run in there.  I suspect following that you may do well?? Good luck and get out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
IAFF Local 2819

Offline lilshootergirl

• Women's Board
  • Tracker
    • lilshootergirl
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 03:33:23 PM »
Thank you for your tips. I hunted and camped by the power lines and people were crazy. Hope no one shoots me walking thru the trees. Yes always lost of hunter orange. Jason will be helping me. I'm so excited to put my 1st down???. I love the hunt as well. You seem to see things others don't. One time in south/east elk hunting I seen a huge wolf, had to look twice as a coyote was watching him too! I called an 7by 8 bull within 20 yards I was so scared as I did something dumb I put cow pee on my boots! No sure what I would have done if he came towards me! Lesson learned...  Anyway thanks again. Glad I'm not alone this year
I'm a huntress.

Offline jason stevens

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 03:44:43 PM »
Yep not alone can't wait to take you to our spot.steep and dark with a few elk. Gonna be a blast literally.wish we had more time but will get it done. :hello:

Offline fishingnut71

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 07:23:35 PM »
elk hunting is never a givin. that late in season anything can happen. TOO much snow up high is bad. I know I live there 30 yrs.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]