collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: DIY Map by Bearpaw  (Read 40546 times)

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: DIY Map by Bearpaw
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »
The wife and I are happy Bearpaw DIY map customers.

As a bear hunting nut I always wanted to hunt spring bear in the NE.  But it is a seven hour drive from Vancouver to the hunting area I was interested in.  And with a business that keeps our getaways to an absolute minimum scouting was highly unlikely.  So we not only chose to buy the map, but we also chose to stay at the cabins and have our breakfast, dinner served and dishes cleaned.  I actually expected a map that listed road systems or general mountain areas.  Instead we got the "park here and walk there", "avoid this spot until this date as I know another hunter is in there" type of information.  We also got the most important information "Don't waste your time showing up at the opener.  Wait until XX/XX/XX and the hunting will be better."

That first trip we did see bear! Not in each and every spot Bearpaw listed, but we did see bear.  We did see sign in each spot though.  We spent a lot of time covering areas not listed on the maps too.  And wouldn't you know it...not nearly the level of sign in those areas as the ones Bearpaw sent us to!  Had the wife not been pre eye surgery we would have been successful on that trip.  One of the bear we were too slow on was a true dandy in the exact color phase Lorraine wanted.  Guess we should have asked for a spot even an angry blind squaw could find a deaf and crippled bear :chuckle:

Between the wife's spring tag and my spring tag the following year we ended up seeing bear in each of the spots marked on the map.  IMO that's pretty good for $300!  We have now done two turkey hunts with a third planned for 2015, one whitetail deer hunt and two spring bear seasons.  We had never met Dale and his wife before that first spring bear hunt.  And now we consider them close personal friends.  I'm sure that would not have happened if we were not happy with the service we received.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:00:04 PM by RadSav »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »
BTW - When I was finally drawn for my spring tag I used the same map as the year before with Lorraine.  After a couple trips over to Bearpaw and reasonable number of bear spotted I voiced my disappointment that I had not seen any real good sized bear and not a single boar.  Dale had a break from guiding and chose to "Make things right" even though he was not obligated to do so and I was not really complaining.

No refunds...this is how Dale "Made Things Right" for me. :chuckle:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »
I had a great experience when i inquired wo dale about buying maps ans even though i didnt buy his maps i feel he went above and beyond what i was expecting with my inquiry. We messaged back and forth about it for my idaho moose tag and he asked where i had been focusing so i told him. The next reply i recieved from him really surprised me. He said i was on the right track and he wasnt sure what more info he could provide to me but if i wanted he could still ask his son who guides idaho a lot. He shared some knowledge (not specific areas but types pf areas amd elevations etc) to confirm what i was already thinking and wished me luck. Told me if i kept with my plan he was sure i would run accross great moose spots.
It was very surprising that he opened up so much wihout buying a map and i could tell that he just really loves to help people in any way he can! He gets a thumbs up from me on that!  :tup:

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »
Let's not forget all of the youth he hooks up on doe hunts.  I can't say there's a bad bone in Dale's body.

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »
Ive kept quiet, but also have some complaints with Dale and his DIY maps.
I bought one and decided to stay at his cabins for my 4 day hunt. 
Dale kept me up to midnight the night before telling lies and aching my belly with laughter.
He then had the nerve to wake me up, feed me breakfast at 3:30!
He had me tag out on a spring bear within four hours on my first morning of my hunt.
He then had me spread dirt in his garden, weed it, till it and put seeds in the ground, building a relationship, a friendship.
"had" might not have been the best wording. It was more me volunteering.
A hunt and DIY map experience I will never forget and will always be an amazing story to share.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »
With all of these good experiences, no wonder this guy expected his map to come gift wrapped with fresh tenderloins. :rolleyes:      :chuckle:

Offline Billdos Uncle

• Tracker
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2014, 12:02:13 PM »
I think the map should not be deleted since the guy paid 150$ and should be able to post it where ever he wants since it is now his... the person doing the map should be well aware that other people will see it... It is the risk of doing the map in the first place... Now if it was a full re-fund then it should be deleted. I would love to see the map and see the quality of this 300$ map and maybe consider getting in this business myself  :chuckle:...
So please repost the pictures or send me a personal message (And im not trying to get a new huntin spot I have mine just curious now that this was posted...) because it is now your property not the moderators on this forum... Work is to be judged and the person doing that knows it when there is a dispute... Unless there is a copy right or disclosure agreement... thank you

Offline Billdos Uncle

• Tracker
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2014, 12:04:21 PM »
I have been considering the DIY Map option for turkey because I live on the peninsula and 7 hours of driving (one way) to do some scouting is very expensive.  After reading this post and so many others about Bearpaw Outfitters I think I will just book a guided hunt!!!  Dale, this Sailor looks forward to utilizing your expertise, hopefully next spring depending on deployment schedules...
Dude u can go to Teanaway and shoot one of the 50 that are in my field everyday! waste of money especially for a bird!

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2014, 12:31:46 PM »
I have been considering the DIY Map option for turkey because I live on the peninsula and 7 hours of driving (one way) to do some scouting is very expensive.  After reading this post and so many others about Bearpaw Outfitters I think I will just book a guided hunt!!!  Dale, this Sailor looks forward to utilizing your expertise, hopefully next spring depending on deployment schedules...
Dude u can go to Teanaway and shoot one of the 50 that are in my field everyday! waste of money especially for a bird!

Maybe you should start selling maps to your field.  $200 :dunno: :chuckle:

Offline Billdos Uncle

• Tracker
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2014, 12:33:27 PM »
 :yeah: ... No I will let people hunt the turkeys for free they are leaving little chocolate pies all over the place!!! and I don't like getting poop inside  :chuckle:

Offline buckhorn2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2014, 10:21:34 PM »
I had the opportunity to go fishing with Dale this summer and had some of the most fun I have ever had on the water. I wanted to give my son a hunting trip because he had done some things so well I wanted to reward him with a guided hunt. He wanted to archery hunt for Bison and I called Dale and he set up our hunt. We went over to Montana and my boy got to shoot a nice bull and we were happy. Dale called and asked how the hunt was and I said great then told him the size of the bull. We had payed for a trophy bull and something got mixed up and we took a meat bull Dale said we should have gpt a big bull. Dale called again and said sorry for the mix up but offered us to go back over and shoot a trophy bull for half the meat the cape and head free of charge. He did;nt have to do that but he did and we went back over and got a huge bull that is at Michells that scored 106. This was even before I knew Dale . For me and my son this was a hunt we will never forget or Dale who provided us with the hunt for me he is an excellent outfitter and stands by his hunters to make sure they get what they pay for and sees it through to the end. Thanks Dale.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2014, 12:02:44 AM »
In our business we appreciate negative feedback as it often times is the information we need to change course in a positive directions.  So I do not have much problem with the OP coming here and writing the review he did.  The only thing upsetting to me is calling Bearpaw's service a "Scam". 

I realize that communication breakdown and lack of clarification lead to disappointments.  And when there are unexpected delays those disappointments are compounded.  However, in my opinion, being led to an exact spot then told what hillside to watch at what exact time of day and what animals to pass and what animals to take etc...that is a guided hunt!  Whether you have a guide looking over you shoulder telling you which one to take and when to shoot or not doesn't matter. Even if there is no one to field dress and pack your animal out that is still, in my eyes, a semi-guided hunt.

Seems from the OP's second post that is what he wanted for $300.  We all appreciate getting something for nothing on those odd occasions when it works out.  But we certainly should not feel it is a Scam when we don't get it!

In Canada we are forced by law to use guides. >:(  Most of the time I have a guide in my pack pocket or one trying to attach a leash around my neck. >:( >:(  I would absolutely love it if they would stay at the lodge or spike camp and just let me roam alone.  Some of these hunts I pay almost $30,000 for and would gladly pay more if the guides would point me in the right direction then leave me the heck alone!  For $300 Bearpaw gave me exactly what I wish I could get in Canada.  That's not a scam...that's a steal, IMO!

Offline Ranger91298

• Longhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2014, 12:23:40 AM »
So let me get this straight. You bought a DIY map from Dale. You didn't like it. You told him. You guys agreed to a 50% refund, then you came on this forum that he owns, complained about the DIY map he gave you, then posted pictures of the map? Wow. If you weren't happy with the 50% refund that you agreed to, you should've said something to the guy. That would have been the adult, man to man thing to do. Have you even hunted it yet?  Can't think of a more lame way to approach a concern with a business than this. Did you want a DIY map of a deer tied to a specific tree? If you wanted a guided hunt, you should've paid for a guided hunt.
Jackelope, you took the words out of my mouth.... it sounds like Dale did what he thought was the right thing only to get put on blast on a public forum... maybe it is just me, but $300 for a map that gives me a general area is worth it's cost. How much would a person spend in gas driving to a spot that they know nothing about, and then exploring that area. I would say a person is going to spend well over $300 in gas. Now on top of it, he is giving you a general area to look in. Either way, Dale's clients and his work ethics speak for themselves.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2014, 05:53:24 AM »

In our business we appreciate negative feedback as it often times is the information we need to change course in a positive directions.  So I do not have much problem with the OP coming here and writing the review he did.  The only thing upsetting to me is calling Bearpaw's service a "Scam". 

I realize that communication breakdown and lack of clarification lead to disappointments.  And when there are unexpected delays those disappointments are compounded.  However, in my opinion, being led to an exact spot then told what hillside to watch at what exact time of day and what animals to pass and what animals to take etc...that is a guided hunt!  Whether you have a guide looking over you shoulder telling you which one to take and when to shoot or not doesn't matter. Even if there is no one to field dress and pack your animal out that is still, in my eyes, a semi-guided hunt.

Right on. Negative reviews are how businesses improve the service they provide. How else would they know there was a dissatisfied customer or something that needed improvement? I just think there's, 1, a right way and a wrong way to provide a negative review... And, 2, a valid complaint and an invalid complaint. Now Dale knows for next time what needs improved. Looks like it's been duly noted. Calling it a scam is a lot strong, and coming on huntwa with this is a little excessive after agreeing to a refund. If complaints were ignored by Dale, if there was no communication, if no service was provided, etc. then I'm good with the public lashing. Anyway, that's my take. 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2014, 09:46:55 AM »
Your a standup guy Dale! I appreciate that.:tup:

I do have 1 complaint though... I didnt get to see the map before it was removed :chuckle:
:yeah:
Member:  YKWTSASFFRO (The young Buck)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]