collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Zeroing Help Please  (Read 8078 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Zeroing Help Please
« on: September 21, 2014, 02:48:25 PM »
So finally was able to get out this morning to zero my muzzy. I had several things come up throughout the summer that prevented me from doing it sooner. Last year I had the factory fiber optic sights with 100 grains of 777 FFFG and 348 grain powerbelts. I had bad powerbelt experiences and bought a couple boxes of No Excuses 460 grain. Also I replaced the rear sight with a peep. Off a bench last year I was able to keep 3 shot groups all shots touching. I wasnt expecting the same but also was not expecting what I got either. The photo here is what it looked like, the shots are numbered in the order I shot them. I couldnt get a group to even try zeroing. Could this be because of my gun just not liking the load? I was shooting 80 grains 777 FFFG with the No Excuses. They seem almost too easy to load, like they are too small, but that may just me. I was shooting off of a solid bench at 50 yards. Windex patch both sides, dry patch both sides, windex patch both sides, then 3 dry patches both sides an popped a cap between shots. The target is 12 inches diameter, the "group" I had was a solid 8 inches if not closer to 9 or 10. I had the same issue back when I initially sighted in my 30-06 and my 12 ga slug gun, but both of those ended up being a scope mount screw loosening. Checked all my sights and they are all snug. Any helpful ideas? Thank you much
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:32:48 PM by Pete112288 »

Offline Damnimissed

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
Re: Zeroing Help Please
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »
I wonder if it would behave better with FFG since you are using a heavy bullet, just like with handloading for rifles, where the heavier bullets do better with a slower powder....

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
Thoughts:
1.  I would go back and shoot your old powerbelt load - just to make sure they still behave well.   If they still behave, that would eliminate at least some rifle issues.
2.  80 grains isn't a very big charge for a 460 grain bullet.   I wonder if they're stabilizing??
3.  Maybe your rifle just doesn't like the No Excuses.
4.  Curious why you're using FFFg?   Isn't FFg the recommended powder?
5.   Did you happen to drink a Super Big Gulp of Mt. Dew right before your shooting session?
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »
Haha, no big gulp or mt. dew. Just Griz green. The very first powder I used was FFG that someone gave me that had like 10 shots worth in it. After I used that there was a shortage in the stores and I grabbed 3 pounds of it the first time i saw it. It ended up being FFFG (at the time I didnt know about FFG and FFFG) It shot great with the powerbelts so I just kept it. The guy that makes No Excuses is the one that suggested that I start at 80 grains till I zero and go up from there a few grains at a time. I am really hoping it may have been shooter error (i was crunched for time today so maybe I rushed) because I dont really have the money to go trying too much else, I have one box of Great Plains Bullets I may have to try just to see.

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »
Just realized I forgot to add the picture, i added it now

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »
A thought, did you clean your barrel real good the last time you shot it ? Soak it in hot soapy water and allowed to dry out completely... :dunno:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »
Yes, actually spent a couple hours on it after season. Since then it was in the safe while I worked on getting a few things, I had to replace the front sight screw and order a couple things from traditions.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:40:19 AM »
Well if you are hunting on the 4 th. Time is running out.

I would try 90 grains with that bullet.

Or I would go down to a 300 plus grain at 90-100 grains.

The other thing that I get razed for is my range time. Lots of things in play with a muzzy.
I went to the range yesterday and spent 4.5 hours on two rifles. I like to take my time.
I set a whole day aside for range. If I do not need it fine, I spend the rest time cleaning and checking gear. Muzzy not a place you should be rushing. It's more important than a lot of folks think.

In the time I was there yesterday the benches changed two or three times with shooters. Two muzzy guys next to me stayed half hour less than I did.

Relax take the time.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Duffer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 05:10:59 AM »
Definitely take your time, but....

A few things you can try:

Big conicals can be finicky. You can try upping the load to get them to obfuscate (sp?) but I suspect you'll need to go with a lighter load. A slower powder would help also. Without a tight bore fit, the powder charge will blow past that heavy conical while trying to get it moving and will 'torch' grooves in the sides of the conical.

If you have time to find some, try putting some sort of wad between the powder and the conical. A lubed felt wad or cardboard wad seems to help. (I've even heard of guys cutting the petals off a sabot to just use the base)

Try the hand 'file' knurl to increase the diameter and maybe get a better seal.

-Try not to get wrapped up in bigger, faster loads. Push for accuracy (or is it precision)  :chuckle: over velocity
-Duffer
Camano Island

Article-5 IS THE ONLY ANSWER

Offline TopOfTheFoodChain

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 07:52:06 AM »
You may have gotten the No Excuses for White muzzleloaders. White uses a slip fit system and in the wrong barrel they would just about fall down in. Did you tell Dave what gun you were ordering them for? I hunt with a White .451 and they are made to load easily but I sure wouldn't use them in something else.

Lets hear some specs on your gun. Caliber, brand, barrel length, and most important..... twist rate.

If you're not stabilizing them due to wrong twist, that lack of pattern can certainly happen. Or you just need to play with your powder load.

I use mostly 3f powder but one of my guns shoots better with 2f. One of them really likes real black powder for the best groups.

Bought a Winchester X150 about 10 years ago and it took me about 300 rounds with various bullets and powders to get it dialed in to a tight group. That barrel is dang picky.

Just keep experimenting, you'll get there eventually.

Good luck.

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 02:49:55 PM »
My gun is a Traditions Vortek 1:28 twist I believe

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 03:05:58 PM »
100gr T7 is a good amount of powder for a 460gr bullet. You may want to back it down to 70 grains and start from there.

I know my traditions strikerfire and an LDR I had did great with 80gr american pioneer with the 370gr maxiballs.

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »
Read a little bit about wadding and sub-base things and such. Do you think the same effect could be acchieved by taking the plastic base off of the bottom of a powerbelt and loading the conical on top of it? Those plastic skirts pop off so easy so I thought it might be an idea. I have a bunch of powerbelts I dont plan on using so maybe I could put that part of them to use.

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
yeah or you can check out mmp's website and order the sub bases. Trackofthewolf.com sells the 510A wad that works great with concials for an extra seal.

Offline TopOfTheFoodChain

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »
My daughter shoots the same gun but opposite end of spectrum for bullet. It loves the PR Bullet Double Duplex .50/.357 175grain with 70 grains 3f T7. It also grouped great with about a 300 grain Barnes sabot of some sort - dont remember the exact bullet but it was to much recoil for her two years ago.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]