collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youth hunt, the good and the bad.  (Read 4922 times)

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
Re: Youth hunt, the good and the bad.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 08:15:09 AM »
before i had my dogs, many years ago, i took my son and his friend on thier first year youth adventure in Belfair at the release site. I was just planning on walking the boys and hope for some flushes and that enough birds were dropped to make it enjoyable for them.. My boy was a quite accomplished gunner already however i had no feel for his friend (lesson or follow on discussion there could come in the thread later). His father didnt have the time off to take so i offered for opener....

We arrived at the site parking and there was a very nice older gent there who came and chatted me up. He had a dog he wanted to work and offered to let my boys work over her. After I engaged the boys toward how you work over a dog, we were off. It was just 8am and the dog handler commented that he hoped we would get lots of birds up and mabye the boys would get something... My son, who was very proud of his shooting, said "If your dog points a bird, I will get it!". The old timer looked at me and kind of chuckled. I didnt comment but inside knew of his shooting skillset. First point happend within a couple minutes and the boys positioned for a flush. "left yours, right mine" my son told his buddy. Up flushed a nice rooster in my sons path, boom! down rooster... The old timer said great shot as his dog retrieved the bird. New point and my son told his partner "your turn" so he stepped off to side out of gunning swing and up jumped a hen, his partner shot boom, miss... My son didnt shoot. The old timer said "you should have taken a crack at it" my sons reply was "Nah, it was a hen i want another rooster". There was back and forth between them as the old guy wasnt convinced that the first shot wasnt just lucky...Another 10 minutes and his dog was on point, again my son placed his partner in position for first shot.... Rooster flush, is partner shoots, misses. My son draws down and boom! down rooster... Now the old timer was impressed, neither were strait away shots, both required some lead and drawing shots... 2 shots, 2 roosters and unloaded for the day.... The only down side to the story was his poor buddy. I felt bad, his shooting skills had not been practiced (over clays at all) and he never did get a bird. The old timer really stuck with him thru several points and shots...

This story is just an example of most birddog owners. My son, now 26, still recalls and tells his account of that first day bird hunting.  Memories like that can mold a young person for life.. Conversly, i would think the same could be said for a very negative first experience. People can be *censored*es and very self centerd, i just hope the intereaction that occured in this thread with unethical and even illegal acts by adults, wont negativley impact the boys who had to experience it, hopefully they will only recall the birds! Keep that wonderful picture!! I still wish i had one to relive my sons adventure so many years ago! :tup:
USN retired
1981-2011

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal