collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: pasayten high buck hunters in closed areas of harts pass.  (Read 43776 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
pasayten high buck hunters in closed areas of harts pass.
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »
So which one of you guys who witnessed these alleged illegal hunters has contacted WDFW? I don't see the point of this thread unless hopefully one of you guys who witnessed all these illegal hunters has reported it. Posting it on huntwa is not going to help. What I've seen so far is a few guys angry that there are rifle hunters hunting during archery season. It seems those guys complaining are archery hunters. And yes, I'm a bow hunter too.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: pasayten high buck hunters in closed areas of harts pass.
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »
So which one of you guys who witnessed these alleged illegal hunters has contacted WDFW? I don't see the point of this thread unless hopefully one of you guys who witnessed all these illegal hunters has reported it. Posting it on huntwa is not going to help. What I've seen so far is a few guys angry that there are rifle hunters hunting during archery season. It seems those guys complaining are archery hunters. And yes, I'm a bow hunter too.

Its more fun to act like the big dog and hide behind a computer... Typical. Bet nobody contacted f&g
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline Halo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2014, 06:06:09 PM »
This same boundary confusion happened years ago on the East end of the Pasayten when I first hunted it. Looked like a pumpkin patch with hunters sitting all over along the road in the evening. I re-read the rules over and over trying to figure out what I missed because there was no attempt to hide anything. The next year we ran into the warden in there and he told us he was aware of the problem and was remedying it. Never saw another hunter outside the wilderness boundary. Not sure how many, if any citations were issued.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »

I have seen the camps but only after dark. I can't attest to anyone hunting outside of the wilderness area though looking at the size of camps I would be amazed if they all trudged up that hill everyday to hunt the open area.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Methow Bowman

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
I was waiting for all info in but being I will respond by saying I stand corrected on the high
hunt being the pasayten unit it is no longer under the current Regs. All the long time hunters now what I am speaking of but yes I spoke with Olympia this afternoon, then with Ranger Mike in Winthrop who has put me through to
Warden Cal Treser.
This is nothing new to that area when the regs called out the pasayten unit it was the same way.
My brother and I were running into these guys in the Bowl across from Aaron Lees base camp 20+
years ago thinking they were in the pasayten.
This all has a long history and the wardens are aware of it but as one post said they are busy with the Vast area
and noted that the road hunting and hunting the face of the ridge has not yielded many deer for the ones that don't hunt the back side because of the climb they have.
If you were there you would have seen them scattered alone the face like I did as did many others,
I was helping a buddy pack out a Bow Buck from 99 Basin and noted many.
They are weekend warriors and I know don't represent all the hard hunting guys out there.
After making my calls I was alerted to others I guess this weekend even.
O well Happy Hunting

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »
Looking through old reg's it looks like the change from unit 203 boundary to then wilderness boundary happened after 1996 but by 1998. For some reason I can't find my 1997 hunting reg's  :chuckle:

Offline grizzlyadams

• Longhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »

I wonder if this year was more crowded than normal (hard to believe) because of the fires up the Chewack.

I hike in for the high hunt every year. This year I was in Glacier Peak Wilderness. I went in just as far as the Icicle Creek outfitter guys and even farther on foot. Although I didn't see any other hunters that actually went in that far on foot like I did, I saw way more activity than I usually do closer to the boundary's. Seemed like all of the heavy traffic was right near the wilderness boundary. Also a lot more people using the outfitters for drop camps this year.  Many of the people I spoke with said it was due to the fires.
Be legal, be safe, be ethical and vote. Let's preserve our sport, our heritage and our rights.

Offline mazama

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2014, 09:02:13 PM »
Years ago the forest service had a bunch of signs she was going to post on the ridgeline to show where the boundary was.

Offline chris90

• Pilgrim
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
Definitely agree with what is being said about the boundaries but this has to do with the people hunting the lower half of harts pass that are definitely not hiking straight up the mountain with the cliffs at the top just to get to the open wilderness area. These are the problem people as has been stated before. I would almost guarantee that less than one percent of these lower camps that have hunters hiking out of them will actually make it to the boundary. If you have been up harts before you have seen the cliffs over the tops of these massive hill sides that are between the camps and the open areas and you will realize they are not making that trek up and down everyday. Just my personal opinion from what I have seen up there.

Offline Methow Bowman

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2014, 09:19:53 PM »
That's a given  :yeah:

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Definitely agree with what is being said about the boundaries but this has to do with the people hunting the lower half of harts pass that are definitely not hiking straight up the mountain with the cliffs at the top just to get to the open wilderness area. These are the problem people as has been stated before. I would almost guarantee that less than one percent of these lower camps that have hunters hiking out of them will actually make it to the boundary. If you have been up harts before you have seen the cliffs over the tops of these massive hill sides that are between the camps and the open areas and you will realize they are not making that trek up and down everyday. Just my personal opinion from what I have seen up there.

Maybe their driving up towards Slate Peak and the PCT, and are only camping down low

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2014, 09:42:42 PM »

Did you call wdfw or a warden and report it?

Why not?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2014, 09:56:19 PM »
What's to stop them from saying they are hunting bears?
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2014, 05:18:02 AM »
That's where my comment came from "Hard to enforce". 

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2014, 05:26:02 AM »
Sounds like Some of the people complaining (including the op) didn't even know the actual hunt boundary. Even though it was changed almost twenty years ago. So I think I'll take the accusations with a grain of salt.

sent from my typewriter

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal