collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: pasayten high buck hunters in closed areas of harts pass.  (Read 43772 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: pasayten high buck hunters in closed areas of harts pass.
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2014, 05:30:26 AM »
I wouldn't doubt it.   I've heard those kind of stories since probably before I could drive.   I had some school friends that hunted up there, and they always had stories like that.  I'm not sure cell phones work up there.  It would take catching them in the act with a kill I'd think.   If they knew there was a warden in the area, it might dampen their activities some.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2014, 06:37:20 AM »
Are you seeing the Actual hunters camps or the outfitters base camps?  I know the outfitters base camp at harts pass then horse the hunters out to their respective camps well into the wilderness. Are you sure they are all deer hunters and not bear hunters?
 What's the matter the first 15 days of the month not enough for you without having any other hunters around?
Guys like you keep the division going between the hunter groups. Instead of bashing bow hunters why don't you look and see if the game laws are being broken. Unless you are saying it's ok for gun hunters to break game laws because they don't have enough time to hunt.  :bdid:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:10:26 AM by PA BEN »

Offline chris90

• Pilgrim
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2014, 07:53:27 AM »
Are you seeing the Actual hunters camps or the outfitters base camps?  I know the outfitters base camp at harts pass then horse the hunters out to their respective camps well into the wilderness. Are you sure they are all deer hunters and not bear hunters?
 What's the matter the first 15 days of the month not enough for you without having any other hunters around?
Guys like you keep the division going between the hunter groups. Instead of bashing bow hunters why don't you look and see if the game laws are being broken. Unless you are saying it's ok for gun hunters to break game laws because they don't have enough time to hunt.  :bdid:
exactly!  :yeah: that's what this is all about.

Offline chris90

• Pilgrim
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2014, 08:02:58 AM »
The game department has been contacted and they know this is a problem that has been going on in this area for a long time. They even said themselfs "its a bit of a joke what goes on up there but it is extremely hard to enforce".

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2014, 10:37:14 AM »
Sure it's wrong, it's illegal to hunt in a closed area.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2014, 10:58:39 AM »
From how I understand it none of these hunters have done a thing wrong until they actually shoot at or kill a deer outside of the wilderness area?
In this case, that could be true. The hunter can claim he is hunting bears, which is legal. It would be difficult to prove someone is hunting deer rather than bears without a shot being fired.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »

From how I understand it none of these hunters have done a thing wrong until they actually shoot at or kill a deer outside of the wilderness area?
In this case, that could be true. The hunter can claim he is hunting bears, which is legal. It would be difficult to prove someone is hunting deer rather than bears without a shot being fired.

That's true, but if contacted by a warden, and they admitted they were deer hunting, case closed.

Offline chris90

• Pilgrim
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2014, 12:23:09 PM »
All very true comments. That's why the game department said its so hard to enforce

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »

That's true, but if contacted by a warden, and they admitted they were deer hunting, case closed.
They would certainly deserve it, both for hunting illegally and being stupid enough to admit it.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »

They would certainly deserve it, both for hunting illegally and being stupid enough to admit it.

Well, apparently all these people simply don't know where they are. They think they're in an area open for deer hunting but they are actually hunting well outside the boundary. So why would they not be honest and say they are hunting for deer?   :dunno:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »

Well, apparently all these people simply don't know where they are. They think they're in an area open for deer hunting but they are actually hunting well outside the boundary. So why would they not be honest and say they are hunting for deer?   :dunno:
You're probaly right. I guess I don't have much sympathy for hunters that don't know where the boundaries are, or what is open.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2014, 12:52:36 PM »
I really don't know. Maybe they knowingly hunt close to the boundary, thinking they can play dumb if questioned. Or, as you said, claim to be hunting something else that is open.

Or they simply have no clue where the boundary is.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2014, 01:12:04 PM »
So it would be okay for me to go elk hunting with a rifle today, as long as my hunt is not successful?

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2014, 01:12:24 PM »
I really don't know. Maybe they knowingly hunt close to the boundary, thinking they can play dumb if questioned. Or, as you said, claim to be hunting something else that is open.

Or they simply have no clue where the boundary is.

Here's a photo from the boundary in that area.  Sunlit in non-wilderness, shaded is Wildeness.  Pretty clear cut

Offline snowpack

• Frontiersman
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2014, 01:15:45 PM »
So it would be okay for me to go elk hunting with a rifle today, as long as my hunt is not successful?
yup.  called scouting.  The gun is for yotes/cats/bears.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]