collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to PNW! Wanted to say hello and ask some questions.  (Read 9503 times)

Offline j_casteel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New to PNW! Wanted to say hello and ask some questions.
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:06:51 AM »
Hey, how yall doin?

I recently moved up here from Oklahoma and I'm quickly learning that hunting/fishing regulations are a lot different than back home.  I know from doing some research that I'm too late to try to go do any hunting this season, but I would like to get some info so that I can hopefully be completely prepared for next season.

I live in Vancouver, WA and work in Portland.  I have no idea where the "country" is around here to even begin searching for public hunting lands. I have stared at the "GoHunt" map for hours trying to figure it out, but it is so much more complicated than I am use to. If I'm understanding the info I have gathered, I can hunt in the National Forests, most of the public land is actually on the East side of the state, Whitetail are on the East side of the state, there are different regulations for each GMU, and I can't buy a license and tag for each season but rather it's a "lottery" of sorts where you have to apply?

Coming from Oklahoma this is all new to me. Back there I could go to nearly any store and buy my license and all my tags for the season in one stop. I could drive ~30 min to an hour in any direction and be at public lands, bow season was from Oct. 1 to Jan. 15 with the other seasons running throughout that same time. We could buy buck and doe tags for each season.

I'm still confused on where I can actually go hunt, and how to go about it. Where to park, walk-in, scout, etc. I know I will probably have to drive further away from Vancouver to hunt, which I don't mind. I'm looking for some help as to how to get started. Are there signs that state public hunting land? Signs that state no hunting? Maps for public land that is less complicated than the "GoHunt" map?

I know I sound really dumb and/or needy but I'm just completely new to the area, and the regulations. I grew up in Oklahoma and knew everything like the back of my hand down there. Here though, I'm like a deer caught in headlights. I don't know anyone around here that hunts to help me out either.

Lastly, and this could really help me, could yall recommend some bow and/or hunting shops in or around the Vancouver area.

Thanks,

j_casteel
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:31:59 AM by j_casteel »

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
Re: New to PNW! Wanted to say hello and ask some questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:18:53 AM »
What do you want to hunt? The east side is vastly different than where you are in Vancouver. There will be mainly mule deer or Muley/black tail crosses in the south central area of the state. White tails are in the northeast corner and southeast corner then spread throughout some areas of the basin and okanogan. You can hunt national forest, dnr, department of fish and wildlife land, and blm land. There are more but those are probably the main ones. I'd try calling the local dnr office and asking how to get a public lands map.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:25:45 AM »
Welcome to WA and welcome to this great forum. There's a lot of hunting within an hour of here. Deer, elk, waterfowl, bears, small game.  A lot depends on which hunting method you prefer, which game you want to hunt, etc. For deer and elk, you choose the hunting method, unlike other states where you can hunt different seasons with different implements. There are over-the-counter tags and there are draw tags (draw tag applications are now closed). I believe you must be a resident for 6 months before purchasing a resident tag. PM me and we can talk in more detail.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online Jolten

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:28:08 AM »
If you haven't taken hunters ed yet. I'd start there.
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:28:38 AM »
You're asking good questions J and dont sound dumb at all.    I assume you are most interested in Whitetails as thats more of a staple you are used to.   They are to be had mostly on the east side of the state North East actually.   There is a general season for them which you do not have to be drawn for.  You have to choose your weapon and then only hunt with that weapon unless you draw and purchase a multiseason tag.  Your wallet will be 180 dollars lighter, but that affords you to hunt them with different weapon choices through their respective seasons.   One of the favorite hunts for whitetail here is the November rut hunt with modern rifle and then the late archery hunt in december.   

As much as folks put down what there is to hunt here in washington, it is fairly unique in the variety of animals available and the different terrains.   You can be hunting a blacktail in a rainforest, drive two hours and be hunting a muledeer in the desert, drive 4 more hours and be hunting whitetail in the thick of it.  That is just deer.

Good luck with your research.   Welcome to the forum.  You are in the right place to figure it all out.

Offline j_casteel

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:04:41 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

I'll answer some of the questions:

I'm really only familiar with Whitetail deer (not sure of any Blacktail or Mule in Oklahoma)
I like to hunt with bow, muzzle-loader, and rifle.
I would like to deer hunt (no specific at the moment, but only familiar with Whitetail)
I also like to hunt small game, and some upland as well as dabbling in some waterfowl and turkey.
I would like to possibly do some Elk and Bear hunting in the future, but for now I'm learning the area and rules.
I took hunter safety course over 20yrs ago.

Thanks

Offline rover758

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 08:19:49 AM »
Welcome J ...

I moved up here from Oklahoma so can appreciate the shell shock of hunting.  The last season I hunted down there I got a "double" (buck and doe walking together and got them both) as well as another one with my bow.  Welcome to the land of permit drawing.  No blacktail in Oklahoma but with your expereince whitetail hunting you should do fine.  Just think thicker woods and shorter shots.  I'll say right off you need to get a taste of elk hunting.  You'll be hooked. 

This forum has a lot of information and the search feature works pretty well for researching information.  If you feel like a drive, head over the the Fish & Wildlife department over in Washougal.  It seem to me I bought a couple maps from them and they were pretty good for helping me learn some of the areas to hunt down there. 

I think boneaddict hit the nail on the head ... the variety of hunting here is fantastic even though the rules and regulations will spin your head around.

Send me a PM if you're looking for any specific info.  I will say most my deer hunting is limited to North of Spokane and my elk hunting in the Nile/Nachese area.

Oh ... and we haven't even started on the fishing here!   :IBCOOL:

Fish & Wildlife Department
391 Steelhead Rd, Washougal, WA 98671 ‎
(360) 837-3131 ‎
SMSgt, USAF, Ret
1976 - 1997
** Due to the rising cost of ammo warning shots will not be fired **
** All I ask is for the chance to prove that money can't make me happy (S. Milligan) **

Online luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 08:29:26 AM »
This is my crude and unfiltered advice.  Most of this is the way I see it, and I'm sure others would disagree.  Consider this "campfire talk" based on one guy's experience.  Hopefully it'll help get you started.  If you want clarification on anything, let me know.

Blacktail and mule deer are dumber than whitetail and if you find one, it'll jump up, run and stop to look back.  Nearly every single time.  They don't do the whitetail thing where they smell you and run into the next county (this of course is a generalization). 

If you want to hunt blacktails on the west (wet side) be aware that they only come out at night (generalization) and they love it when the weather is the worst.  You will get wet.  The hard part is finding them, shooting them after that is pretty easy.  Fewer people hunt them so you're more likely to be alone in the woods.

Mule deer are on the east side, also dumb, challenging part about mule deer hunting is usually the rugged terrain (usually up high in mountain ish areas).  Nice part is you aren't as likely to get wet hunting mule deer.  Bad part is that everyone hunts them, especially in modern season, so your biggest challenge is finding a place away from people.

Whitetail you will have to travel further for.  I don't have as much experience with them because the best ways of hunting them dont interest me as much (stand hunting).  Sure you could walk around for whitetails, but in this state they're often where its thick (or can be) and you don't really have a prayer then because they're better than you.  It doesn't seem like most places I've been have the densities that I'd prefer to spend my day in a stand waiting for one to walk by, but people do it.

Pick a weapon, its the only one you can use in that respective season, unless you apply, are drawn and purchase the multi season tag as previously mentioned.  For this year you're hosed as applications have already passed.  If hunting blacktail, rifle is a decent call because you get to hunt the rut and there aren't that many rifle hunters.  If hunting mule deer, I'd avoid rifle unless you love people.  I'd avoid whitetail because I personally don't like them and they're too far away and I don't like hunting them (this is all from my point of view).

Buy a bear tag, they're virtually everywhere.  I see far more bears in my "deer spot" than I do deer.  Kind of depends on where you're at, but you'll almost certainly see bears when hunting deer on the west side, but really they're all over the state. 

If you choose muzzleloader, keep in mind that there are a lot of restrictions in the northwest (no 209 primers, primer must be exposed to the elements, no scopes).

National forest, DNR, timber companies are generally all open to hunting.  Timber companies have started charging for access in the last couple of years, so watch out for that.  DNR (State Land) requires a "Discover Pass" again, as of the last couple of years.  Most areas are now "walk in only" especially on the west side, so keep that in mind.

That should be good to get you started.  Elk are like deer for rules, (pick one weapon and stick with it unless drawn for special multi season permit), with one exception, you have to select east or west side of the state and stick with it.  Generally speaking the west side of the state allows harvest of bulls 3pt or better without a special permit (generally smaller "bush racks") and the east side of the state allows spike and cow hunting (no bulls without special permit), and the racks are much larger over there, partially due to the "Rocky Mountain Elk versus Roosevelt Elk" difference.  These are not hard and fast elk rules, but some broad generalizations. 

Online nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 09:00:20 AM »
You can sure hunt this year if like.  Over the counter tags for deer and bear not a problem.  Do some homework for access and enjoy the hunt.  Fall turkey is going now and the state has 3 species.  Upland birds open mid October, grouse now with several kinds.

Offline j_casteel

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 06:43:43 AM »
Awesome info guys...

So it seems like I really need to get my hands on some maps of BLM, DNR, WDFW, etc lands. Make some calls to them as well and figure out where the public lands are located at.

If I want to hunt for bear, elk, and blacktail then I'm located on the correct side of the mountains. I will need to travel over the mountains to the East side to hunt for Whitetails specifically.  (Wife has family in Ellensburg so if there is any public land around that area then that may not be a bad idea)

I can pretty much go to any of the National Forests, DNR, BLM, etc lands park then scout, and hunt. BUT I need to study the rules of the specific GMU that location may be located in.

I CAN'T go to the store and buy a hunting license to do general hunting (small game, upland, etc.) and then buy my bow, muzzle-loader, and rifle tags for deer season. I need to actually specify what animal and what weapon? If I were to buy multiseason, will that cover me for everything during deer right? I can get a deer each season as well right? Of course I would have to specify when buying my tag what species I'm hunting i'm sure.

Limitations on muzzle-loader prevent me from using my TC, and I will have to use my older rifle. (Open primer & iron sites)

I moved here in March so I guess I'm technically a resident this month. (for hunting license purposes)

LOL, and all this is just for big game. I still need to learn small game, upland, turkey, etc. THEN start learning the fishing rules, areas, etc.

I guess in a couple years I may be able to join yall out in the woods or on the water once I learn everything.  :tup:

Online luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »
You can buy your tags in any order you want but you get a break for buying big and small game at the same time.  Small game will cover your upland birds.  There isn't necessarily a big game "license" and then separate tags, you just buy the tags you want.  When you do buy your big game, you'll have to make weapon choices.  You can go back at any time and add big game options, however it might cost you less to package choices up.  You cannot buy a multi season tag unless you put in for the special permit drawing in May which allows you the privilege to buy the multi season tag.  You have to be actually drawn to buy it, however for deer specifically I think they've given out more permits than there were applicants.  Either way, you're outta luck for this year on multi season.

Not sure how many whitetails there are around Ellensburg.  Also, try the go hunt app on WDFW's website for some public land and GMU information.

Good luck.

Offline HillSlick

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 08:37:06 AM »
Welcome! Take I-5 north and take battle ground exit, take a left at the intersection of Main Street and 503, follow 503 north and you'll find it pretty easily my man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline elkoholic1

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: elkoholic1
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 08:57:16 AM »
 :hello:   welcome to the PNW!! 

Offline Vulcan

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 09:50:09 AM »
Tagging
Recent CA Transplant; Never Going Back.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 01:05:07 PM »
Boyd Iverson Blacktail trophy tactics. READ THIS BOOK!
It applies to Black tail but aslo to mule deer to some extent. this guy hunts near the area you live.

http://www.amazon.com/Blacktail-Trophy-Tactics-Boyd-Iverson/dp/0963040510/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411675366&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=Byod+Iverson+blacktail+trophy+tactics
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw