collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: deleted  (Read 44793 times)

Offline Practical Approach

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Natives killing deer in wintering grounds.
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 03:22:27 PM »
Sure, it's specific areas. Look at the Yakima area: worst deer populations in the state. The WDFW blames hair loss caused by lice. But to me it's obvious- Those deer get killed year around by a tribe that has no closed season and no limits. The same thing could be happening in the area described by the original post in this thread.

No it couldn't.  Tribes up north have seasons and limits.
Where did you pull the 4000 number from?
They do have limits at least on paper. We get to put in for a drawing to hunt in November for 24 tags. They have 4000 tags between two tribes to use in a season they hunt for several months after us..........

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 03:24:06 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something but your argument seems completely irrelevant to me.  You're giving west side info when the argument seems to be based around the Yakima area.  Looking at your referenced website, it shows 0 deer taken by tribes last year in the Yakima area.  IMHO that kind of makes your source look... well... Like a bad source I guess.

edit:  It looks like you posted while I was typing.  I see now that the Yakima tribe doesn't report.... Which basically again means your source isn't really valid and argument about the Yakima tribe.

http://nwifc.org/w/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/08/2013-2014-big-game-harvest-report.pdf

Thanks

Curtis

Actually the OP was talking about the westside area.  I asked for the Yakima areas stats so Bobcat could see them.  But the Yakima tribe apparently doesn't participate in the reporting.  So the #s are misleading

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2014, 03:26:15 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something but your argument seems completely irrelevant to me.  You're giving west side info when the argument seems to be based around the Yakima area.  Looking at your referenced website, it shows 0 deer taken by tribes last year in the Yakima area.  IMHO that kind of makes your source look... well... Like a bad source I guess.

edit:  It looks like you posted while I was typing.  I see now that the Yakima tribe doesn't report.... Which basically again means your source isn't really valid and argument about the Yakima tribe.

http://nwifc.org/w/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/08/2013-2014-big-game-harvest-report.pdf

That's the trouble with jumping into a discussion in the middle.  It is a wild ride.  This area in reference began with the Mt. Baker Wilderness.  However, every tribal discussion gets turned into a Yakima discussion.

Thanks

Curtis

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »

Thanks

Curtis

Actually the OP was talking about the westside area.  I asked for the Yakima areas stats so Bobcat could see them.  But the Yakima tribe apparently doesn't participate in the reporting.  So the #s are misleading

You're right - sorry guys for being a part of the problem on this one.  bowing out!

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2014, 03:28:09 PM »
This was an honest post about specific area. Want to add to it great. But this a dipchit post like this does nothing. I have more respect for the indian that claims all this is bs than your worthless thoughts.

Well, glad we didn't try to make this personal.   :chuckle:

In the end, I believe that your words will be factual.  Specifically, "this does nothing" as I believe that's where it will end up.  But carry on!   :chuckle:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »
Which 2 tribes issued 4000 deer tags. This is pure nonsense.  It would be like  saying that state hunters issued 206000 (the population) tags in Whatcom County.  The deer have had many issues in the last 20 years and are currently stable and rebounding.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »
cboom,

I think you need to see if you can back this up somehow.   

I have lived in Whatcom my whole life and have a lot of native friends from both the local tribes, and I have never heard of this amount of over hunting.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but if this is true, we need to know about it.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 03:32:08 PM »
Sure, it's specific areas. Look at the Yakima area: worst deer populations in the state. The WDFW blames hair loss caused by lice. But to me it's obvious- Those deer get killed year around by a tribe that has no closed season and no limits. The same thing could be happening in the area described by the original post in this thread.

No it couldn't.  Tribes up north have seasons and limits.
Where did you pull the 4000 number from?
They do have limits at least on paper. We get to put in for a drawing to hunt in November for 24 tags. They have 4000 tags between two tribes to use in a season they hunt for several months after us..........

Lummies get 2500 and the Nooksacks get 1500. Or vise versa. That is what the tribes have set.

Where did that number come from?  Do you work for the Lummi and Nooksack?  How did you gather that information? 

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »
I can't help it...

This cracks me up. 

But this a dipchit post
  :chuckle:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »
It probably wont do anything. But I am addressing a serious problem that in the last several years a small group has ruined it for everybody. And you make a joke out of it. At least I am trying to make a difference. I hope now that they have wiped our spot out yours isn't next.

So I recommend that you dig in and research a bit more before you sound the alarm.  Make sure you have hard numbers that are solid.  You'll need something more than I talked to a guy who knows.   :twocents:

We have some dedicated members on this site that are part of the tribes that can make much more progress in native affairs than you or I but they too will need hard data or info before they will stick their neck out.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »
I would also refute the statement that there are large, easily accessible winter  populations in Whatcom County.  Even in areas (like Baker) the deer disperse to lowlands areas that maintain relatively low densities.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 03:44:20 PM »
Here we go again....

Newsflash! 

1.  Russians, Indians, Hispanics and Whites are killing our game illegally. 

2.  Many folks who care about these natural resources are outraged. 

3.  Fines are too small and "some" regulations aren't exactly enforced in some areas.

4.  Predators are a MAJOR issue....both with 2 feet and 4 feet.

5.  Some of the data out there may be a bit incomplete or inaccurate due to poor compliance.

And?

This was an honest post about specific area. Want to add to it great. But this a dipchit post like this does nothing. I have more respect for the indian that claims all this is bs than your worthless thoughts.
This post  as close to reality as it gets.  I would say gringo hit the nail on the head in this specific area(eastern Whatcom County).

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 03:45:37 PM »
I would also refute the statement that there are large, easily accessible winter  populations in Whatcom County.  Even in areas (like Baker) the deer disperse to lowlands areas that maintain relatively low densities.

What about Fairhaven?   :o :D

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »
Here we go again....

Newsflash! 

1.  Russians, Indians, Hispanics and Whites are killing our game illegally. 

2.  Many folks who care about these natural resources are outraged. 

3.  Fines are too small and "some" regulations aren't exactly enforced in some areas.

4.  Predators are a MAJOR issue....both with 2 feet and 4 feet.

5.  Some of the data out there may be a bit incomplete or inaccurate due to poor compliance.

And?

This post  as close to reality as it gets.  I would say gringo hit the nail on the head in this specific area(eastern Whatcom County).

:yeah: 
Also added pressure from humans. 

Whatcom county is becoming a hub for the outdoor enthusiast.  Hikers, climber, mt bikers, utv/atv.  They are everywhere now.  Trailheads are packed, and the added pressure has to have an effect on natural habitat for Deer.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 03:51:47 PM »
Cboom I spend as much time in the field as anybody(that doesn't work in the woods). I can tell you I encounter many people of varying ethnicities including all that gringo mentioned. Many hitting the hills as I'm leaving. I would also urge you to ask the local enforcement officer how many poaching stings they have done and how many were unsuccessful.  It'll scare you.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal