collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolves  (Read 28335 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Wolves
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
Now how do you think these wolves started showing up in greater numbers in the interior of the Cascades?  Hmmm?  :bash:

They walked?   :dunno:

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
Now how do you think these wolves started showing up in greater numbers in the interior of the Cascades?  Hmmm?  :bash:

:chuckle: :chuckle:
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline westside bull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 02:00:39 PM »

They walked right after they jumped out of the cage go head stick up for your WDFW friends!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 02:11:19 PM »

They walked right after they jumped out of the cage go head stick up for your WDFW friends!

Everybody knows by now there's a border between the states and the country, Bobcat. How would they cross that?
 :o
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 02:17:40 PM »

Hey I'm not sticking up for anybody. The question was asked, how do I think the wolves got here? I honestly think they used their four paws and walked right across the border. Probably at night so they wouldn't be seen. Yep, they're that smart!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 02:24:37 PM »
I think the interesting question is WHY did they migrate from East to West? We have been connected to Canada since they were "exterminated" from Wa. One would think that wolves would be migrating down the Cascades from Canada on a constant basis since the suposed extermination.

Wolves have made a big comeback since the importation of wolves to ID& YNP. The direction of migration comes from that direction and has done so since the 90's so why/how have wolves made such an amazing comeback in 20 or so years from the East but NEVER made the huge comeback from Canada when they had 50+ years to migrate from populations in Canada?

I would love to hear some well reasoned logic as to how/why it has happend this way.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 02:25:04 PM »

Hey I'm not sticking up for anybody. The question was asked, how do I think the wolves got here? I honestly think they used their four paws and walked right across the border. Probably at night so they wouldn't be seen. Yep, they're that smart!
Wolves have a designated home area and they're not allowed to leave it. No way could they just walk across a state line without getting in trouble.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 02:31:27 PM »

I would love to hear some well reasoned logic as to how/why it has happend this way.

We've had people interested in coming on the forum and presenting an educated explanation for this sort of thing, play Q&A, etc. but because of the heat that folks get who don't share the popular opinion, those opportunities have unfortunately dissolved.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
Thats too bad. There are plenty of people i dislike on here but i have thick skin and ignore them. There are a few people i desagree with on here that at least try and put forth the data that supports thier oppion they preach.

Im of the oppinion that if you have to yell you need to reinforce your argument.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 05:38:09 AM »
The native wolf to Washington is the Timber wolf. Smaller and not as aggressive than the bigger Canadian gray wolf. Talk to any old timer around here and they will tell you they have been around for years. Not many and they keep to themselves.  If anything these new wolves will move any native wolves out of the State.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 06:12:16 AM »
The native wolf to Washington is the Timber wolf. Smaller and not as aggressive than the bigger Canadian gray wolf. Talk to any old timer around here and they will tell you they have been around for years. Not many and they keep to themselves.  If anything these new wolves will move any native wolves out of the State.

I have heard this from several people but I can't find anything to back it up.  I am not saying you're wrong but everything I've seen is that Timber Wolf is used to describe a gray wolf in the forest.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 06:15:18 AM »
Try Cascade mountain wolf. 
May not be the right one, but will give you an idea

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 06:18:19 AM »
Try Cascade mountain wolf.

:o boneaddict did you just make a Wikipedia page?   :chuckle:  ok so this "extinct" species matches what you saw in the 80s then?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 06:23:52 AM »
The old mountain men of the time told me I seen a Red Wolf.   Like PABen said, most referred to the wolves as Timberwolves.   :dunno:   

Offline rim_runner

• Not all those who wander are lost
  • Hunter
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 09:31:11 AM »
There are a few problems with trying to determine what sub-species of wolves were historically in Washington State. First problem is that wolf populations were heavily disrupted by time scientists started to collect data on the wolf populations, especially to the level of sub-species. The second problem is that with the wide range of habitats in Washington state there could have been more than one sub-species in the state. Third problem is that with the dynamics of wolf populations was a particular wolf was part of an established pack or in transit when the data was collected? Then you have the question, was the distribution of sub-species static or was one sub-species in the process of pushing another sub-species out? Along with that is the question about which sub-species a particular wolf belonged to. When you are working at a sub-species level things become a lot more complex. There can be some large differences in sub-species like between the keys deer in Florida and northern whitetails but a lot of the differences are much more subtle. With the advances in DNC there has been a lot of shuffling around especially at the sub-species level, not just with wolves but many species.       

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal