collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Meat in the freezer  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
Meat in the freezer
« on: September 25, 2014, 11:40:18 AM »
Had planned on hunting from Tuesday till Friday the week before, returning home to go coho fishing on Saturday and return if needed on Monday to hunt till Thursday. Well the weather was not cooperating with really warm days forecast so decided to head over that Friday instead and stay till tagged out or Thursday came.

Was going to miss fishing but the bonus was my girl could come and hunt the weekend with me... :tup: only her second time hunting. She is hooked and now wants a bow... :)
Saturday morning was clear and still, no breeze and quiet. Hunted an area that i have seen deer in pretty consistently, passed a few does on the way up and wound up seeing two really nice bucks on the other side of the draw but they vanished, we did wind up seeing 9 bucks that morning with only the two that were legal, and some does/yearlings. evening hunt saw only does but i was holding out for a buck till the end.

Had H20hunter and his brother inlaw stopped by camp as they were staying close by, chatted a bit and they came back in the evening for campfire and telling lies.

Sunday was a bust, did not see a single deer, either heading up or hunting the area we saw the bucks the day before, day was still clear and warm with no wind, evening hunt was the same. Was wondering where all the deer went?

Monday morning hunt saw a few does and some grouse, got one of the grouse.. :bash:, My girl has to get back to go to work the next day so i drove her back home, refreshed supplies and headed back east Tuesday morning, got back to camp with enough time to get changed and head out for the evening hunt, decided to drive to and area that was a bit away but i had seen some bucks on cam from the summer, on the way there saw a nice cinnamon bear about 80-90yards away just staring at me, so i stopped and tried to close the distance, no dice as he would walk a bit and stop to look at me, i would move closer and at an angle trying to close the distance and he would just stare then move some more, finally he had enough and took off, if i would of had a rifle he would of been down... >:(....
Got to were i wanted to hunt only to find a camp right where i wanted to be, went to a different area and saw nothing.

Had a good dinner with h20hunter and his BIL of crab macaroni & cheese and rabbit pot pie, h20 had taken his doe that morning and the bil was still holding out  for the buck they had on cam.

Wednesday morning woke up to the sound of rain, headed out late and decided to stay close to camp and hunt close to were the bucks had been, saw nothing for the first 2 hours and decided to hang out under a tree in a saddle where i have seen deer later in the mornings, had not been there 15 minutes and two does start making there way towards me, they drop over a little rise and out of sight so i decide to move there direction, get to the edge of the rise and look over and one is standing there looking right at me (im not the quietest stalker  :chuckle:), she is very slightly quartering away so i draw, settle my pin and find that crease at her right shoulder and let it fly, the arrow made a loud kinda crack when it hits her and she nose dives onto her left shoulder, gets up and wobbles/walks away, hunched over and i can see my arrow in her, she goes about 40yds and goes down again and does not get back up, i sit and watch her giving her time to expire before moving in her direction.

As she lay pics and pics of her down, arrow went through one lung and clipped her heart hitting her off shoulder.

So a good week after all, 1 packrat killed in my generator shed roof, 1 grouse and a doe for the freezer. Saw a nice bear and plenty of deer...

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:26:22 PM by Buckmark »
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline rover758

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Meat in the freezer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
WTG!!   :tup: :tup:  Wish I was out hunting instead of working.  I may have told h20 I hated him for getting his deer.   :chuckle:  Some good eatin' there.  Congrats.
SMSgt, USAF, Ret
1976 - 1997
** Due to the rising cost of ammo warning shots will not be fired **
** All I ask is for the chance to prove that money can't make me happy (S. Milligan) **

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:20:58 PM »
Eww gross, it's all bloody! Nice deer man. Congratulations! I just filled my freezer and it's a good thing!
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »
 :tup:

That doe will eat great!  Great deer!   :tup:

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »
Great job.   :tup:
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 06:18:10 PM »
Nicely done. We got Bro in laws dropped off today. Chilling at the cabin having some dinner and a few pops.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 06:30:41 AM »
Good eating there. :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter