collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: BEFORE THE BOARD OF STEVENS COUNTY COMMISSIONERS  (Read 17695 times)

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: BEFORE THE BOARD OF STEVENS COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 03:11:34 PM »
Good on the Commission  :tup: :tup:

a very slippery slope though.... :twocents:

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 03:15:13 PM »
Excellent ruling. Bravo!

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:37:04 PM »
Good for them!
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:27:53 AM »
Boy reading the comments is a real eye opener. It's the wolf above all else. :bash:
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2014/sep/18/stevens-county-commission-condemns-state-wolf-management/

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »
Boy reading the comments is a real eye opener. It's the wolf above all else. :bash:
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2014/sep/18/stevens-county-commission-condemns-state-wolf-management/

CNW, DoW, etc. flunkies pushing the pro-wolf agenda, same people in every publication.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 08:16:54 AM »
WDFW's response

http://media.spokesman.com/documents/2014/09/State_response_to_Stevens_County_advice_on_killing_wolves_9.10.14.pdf

Director Anderson's remarks are complete and utter BS.  I'm glad the commission leaked the letter to the Spokesman review so we all can have some further insight to the complete farce of WDFW's handling of wolves and conflict resolution.  No one in their right mind would enter into a damage prevention cooperative agreement with WDFW, especially not after seeing how the sheep deal was done.  WDFW takes money from the wolf groups (with strings attached) and proffers that to the ranchers (with more strings) and then expects the rancher to cost share for a bunch of crap that does nothing to prevent wolves from killing their livestock.   Now the rancher is out of pocket even more money, isn't compensated fully for his losses AND has a bunch of people coming and going off their property, a bunch of papers to sign and bureaucracy to no end. 

Stating that compensation somehow makes it unreasonable to defend your livestock from a wolf is BS!! 

"compensation" is woefully short of compensating a livestock owner for their losses, it's a slap in the face to livestock owners. 

Very disappointed with Anderson's response,  but he is correct the county cannot preempt the state.  What peeved me is how he paraded these ineffectual programs as if WDFW was doing something positive with wolf conflict and hiding behind court rulings that addressed Elk eating a hayfield...a far far cry from a pack of wolves attacking and eviscerating your livestock.  Hay don't scream and cry and suffer or stampede through your fences.   
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:43:57 AM by KFhunter »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 08:53:07 AM »
Anderson's response made me a bigger supporter of Stevens CO and less of a supporter of WDFW.

Didn't think it was possible  >:(

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
It's about time. Bravo, the real citizens of Washington are being ignored as insignificant no count nuisances in this political agenda.  Then when the citizens stand up for their rights WDFW threatens them. Really? Who do they really work for?

When a state agency has come to the point that they have no credibility with the people they represent because of deception, inaction, lack if follow through, and obvious political bias which puts them at odds with sportsmen (as illustrated in the closed door steelhead deal with the wild fish guys), it's time for the residents of the state to stand up and demand to be heard.  The biggest roadblock is the behavior starts in the governors office and the thread runs through Olympia.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:38:06 AM by RG »
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »
WDFW's response

http://media.spokesman.com/documents/2014/09/State_response_to_Stevens_County_advice_on_killing_wolves_9.10.14.pdf

Director Anderson's remarks are complete and utter BS.  I'm glad the commission leaked the letter to the Spokesman review so we all can have some further insight to the complete farce of WDFW's handling of wolves and conflict resolution.  No one in their right mind would enter into a damage prevention cooperative agreement with WDFW, especially not after seeing how the sheep deal was done.  WDFW takes money from the wolf groups (with strings attached) and proffers that to the ranchers (with more strings) and then expects the rancher to cost share for a bunch of crap that does nothing to prevent wolves from killing their livestock.   Now the rancher is out of pocket even more money, isn't compensated fully for his losses AND has a bunch of people coming and going off their property, a bunch of papers to sign and bureaucracy to no end. 

Stating that compensation somehow makes it unreasonable to defend your livestock from a wolf is BS!! 

"compensation" is woefully short of compensating a livestock owner for their losses, it's a slap in the face to livestock owners. 

Very disappointed with Anderson's response,  but he is correct the county cannot preempt the state.  What peeved me is how he paraded these ineffectual programs as if WDFW was doing something positive with wolf conflict and hiding behind court rulings that addressed Elk eating a hayfield...a far far cry from a pack of wolves attacking and eviscerating your livestock.  Hay don't scream and cry and suffer or stampede through your fences.

I think what WDFW mostly do anymore is manage damage control to their image, which is quickly deteriorating.

What most rural folks have/are realizing is, if they have wolf problems, take care of it themselves. WDFW is worthless when it comes to wolves and predation, they have no credibility, this has been proven time and again.

WDFW force honest people to break the law because their corrupt agency refuses to do their job. WDFW like the idea of ranchers etc. not coming to them for wolf problems, this way they are not forced to confirm wolf packs or BP's. It's a win, win deal for them and their partners, the USFWS and environmetnalists.

My guess is either CNW or DoW wrote the reply above and good ol Philip signed it.

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »

Interesting how it appears like just one Jacknut on the thread is stirring up the whole thing. Unfortunately some will listen to crackpots like this and think it is correct because they saw it on the internet. The guy spews on about sheep and cattle being invasive species and not native and only the wolf should be in the woods HOGWASH!

CNW, DoW, etc. flunkies pushing the pro-wolf agenda, same people in every publication.
IAFF #3728

Offline rim_runner

• Not all those who wander are lost
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 10:00:45 AM »

you hit on something there that I see also but too few people seem to recognize. When someone raises livestock they are taking on a large responsibility to care for those animals. I would have little respect for a stockman whose response to his stock being kill was “oh well I’ll get compensated for it”. What stockmen are being asked to do is control their sense of responsibility and override years of learning and peer pressure. I do respect those who continue to obey the law but I can see that it is no easy matter.  Personally I don’t see where allowing people to defend their livestock will hinder wolf recovery. For that matter I don’t think a hunting season on wolves is a bad idea either.   

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 10:05:11 AM »
Andersons reply seems genuine.  It clearly acknowledges that self defense and defense of livestock is perfectly legal in E. Wa and that they may be giving a false sense of what is legal.  He very correctly reminds the commissioners that they do not manage the wildlife...that responsibility belongs to the state, not individual municipalities within the state...Thank goodnness!! 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
Idaho and Montana have shown that hunting doesn't hinder wolf recovery.  When WDFW promises a course of action then rescinds it before following through and lies about the status of the problem it shows their true intent to all.  Their position is no secret on any of these politically based issues. They make it clear.  The majority of Washington residents live in subdivisions and work indoors so they have no point of reference. They believe what they are told and assume it's all good.  They think meat comes in a McDonalds bag and grows in buns. They don't realize what goes on in rural America.  It works for WDFW.
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 10:13:21 AM »

you hit on something there that I see also but too few people seem to recognize. When someone raises livestock they are taking on a large responsibility to care for those animals. I would have little respect for a stockman whose response to his stock being kill was “oh well I’ll get compensated for it”. What stockmen are being asked to do is control their sense of responsibility and override years of learning and peer pressure. I do respect those who continue to obey the law but I can see that it is no easy matter.  Personally I don’t see where allowing people to defend their livestock will hinder wolf recovery. For that matter I don’t think a hunting season on wolves is a bad idea either.   

You talk about emotional investment, and you're correct to varying degrees.  There are livestock owners with strong ties to their livestock, as strong as family pet owners...but there are others with much less emotional investment as well.  Impossible to quantify and purely case by case.

I'm also talking about financial compensation.  The sheep grower is missing over 200 sheep, but is only eligible for something like 18 sheep for compensation; what about the 182 sheep lost?   If you can't find the sheep you can't determine a wolf killed them.  That is another aspect where compensation fails.

Another failure of compensation, and perhaps a bigger one is the a herd of cattle that is being pressured by wolves does not put on as much weight as a herd without consatant harrassment from wolves.  http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/2014/mar/cows-witnessing-wolf-attacks-suffer-symptoms-similar-ptsd 

Another aspect is unbred cattle,  there's no compensation for all the calves that won't be born if your bull is run off never to be found again.  (true story)

The livestock owner forks out a lot of extra time and gas money, hires more employees in wolf areas - again no compensation.

WDFW says  "Oh a bear did that, Oh a cougar did that, Oh a coyote did that, Oh a killer Llama did that"....again no compensation.

The biggest losses is overall herd weight and calf loss and increased expenditure in time and resources but none of that is compensated.

"compensation" is a total farce that's used to give legal standing to WDFW to prevent livestock owners from reasonably defending their livestock from depredation from an endangered species.  The court holds that it's NOT reasonable to defend your livestock if it's subject to compensation AND to top it all off the court case was precedent on Elk eating a hayfield  :bash:  :bash:

This needs challenged and defeated. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:20:32 AM by KFhunter »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]