collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: BEFORE THE BOARD OF STEVENS COUNTY COMMISSIONERS  (Read 17697 times)

Offline AspenBud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: BEFORE THE BOARD OF STEVENS COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 05:17:10 PM »
Knowing wolves are coming, the smart move on the state's part would be to increase the quota on sick elk. Fewer sick elk means it's harder for wolves to eat. Many sick elk will lead to a very fast wolf boom which will cut into even the healthiest of animals. If you think what has happened anywhere else wolves have been has been bad you haven't seen the catastrophe that will be if the state doesn't do something about that.

It would be a preventative measure that would at least slow them down. Pup survival largely depends on how easy food is to attain, no need to make it any easier for them than necessary.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »
yup I'm talking about an epic wolf boom west of the cascade crest.   

What's bad is the wolves will take care of the hoof rot problem and take the focus off finding the cause, so if it's timber companies spraying crap that's causing hoof rot then they'll be more than happy to have as many wolves as possible lest some hoof rotted Elk wander into town and rekindle interest in that problem.

They're probably looking at the wolves as their salvation from a possible future litigation for causing hoof rot.

So no, I don't suspect they'll want wolves managed.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 08:50:56 PM »

What's bad is the wolves will take care of the hoof rot problem and take the focus off finding the cause, so if it's timber companies spraying crap that's causing hoof rot then they'll be more than happy to have as many wolves as possible lest some hoof rotted Elk wander into town and rekindle interest in that problem.

They're probably looking at the wolves as their salvation from a possible future litigation for causing hoof rot.

Now i've heard it all...the wolves are going to save the timber companies from the lawsuits for causing hoof rot.  I guess when you ignore the facts and logic, you can come up with these creative scenarios :chuckle:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 06:23:17 AM »

Timber companies definitely benefit from having wolves on their land. Ungulates eat trees, wolves eat ungulates. Pretty simple.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 07:37:51 AM »

Timber companies definitely benefit from having wolves on their land. Ungulates eat trees, wolves eat ungulates. Pretty simple.

I made that point a few months ago and I believe it to be true. Hunters solved a problem for them. With the wolf they don't have to worry about vandalism, hunting accidents, and crime. Just wait...

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 07:44:32 AM »

Now i've heard it all...the wolves are going to save the timber companies from the lawsuits for causing hoof rot.  I guess when you ignore the facts and logic, you can come up with these creative scenarios :chuckle:

I don't know about saving them from lawsuits but wolves will allow them to charge high dollar access and keep out a lot of hunters. Historically they wanted hunters to keep ungulates in check. They won't need as many if wolves show up. Wolves are a win/win for big timber.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2014, 07:59:38 AM »

You're condescending just for the sheer joy of it. He's made a valid point and you have zero facts, only insults to counter it. Your negative posts and constant insults take away from the positive things this forum does. Instead of crapping everywhere you go, why don't you find a place that's more suited to your views. This isn't it.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »
 :cryriver:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 08:27:52 AM »
:yeah: :yeah:

You're condescending just for the sheer joy of it. He's made a valid point and you have zero facts, only insults to counter it. Your negative posts and constant insults take away from the positive things this forum does. Instead of crapping everywhere you go, why don't you find a place that's more suited to your views. This isn't it.
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 08:31:29 AM »
So would we rather have every person simply post:

:yeah:  ?

No differing opinions allowed on this board. We're nothing but sheep, right Pman?   :dunno:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2014, 08:41:08 AM »

No differing opinions allowed on this board. We're nothing but sheep, right Pman?   :dunno:

Yeah sure Bobcat. That's exactly what I meant (sarc). You know as well as I that the poster I was addressing is insulting and condescending, often without any reasonable debate or counterpoint. I have no problem with differing opinions. I have a problem with someone who constantly strives only to disrupt and insult.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2014, 08:50:32 AM »

Yeah sure Bobcat. That's exactly what I meant (sarc). You know as well as I that the poster I was addressing is insulting and condescending, often without any reasonable debate or counterpoint. I have no problem with differing opinions. I have a problem with someone who constantly strives only to disrupt and insult.
That is an absurd claim.  Please go re-read all of my posts on any of the herbicide threads where I have articulated why I believe it is a long, long stretch of the truth to suggest timber companies are at risk of a lawsuit for causing hoof rot...then to further suggest that wolves will solve the timber companies legal troubles?  :tinfoil:

It is not insulting or condescending to point out when someone says something rather absurd...but I can understand how life would be easier for you if folks weren't around to point out your failed reasoning.  :twocents:  Did most members in the thread you participated in not just remind acorn that one should have a thick skin to post in wolves, religion, politics threads?  Weren't you part of the chorus of folks making condescending and snide remarks insulting acorn? :chuckle:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2014, 09:58:31 AM »
I stand by my hypothetical conjecture, it's a logical path to follow.

Chemicals in the forest making sick animals is a cause that just about every user group can rally against.  A guy would have to have some pretty thick blinders on to not think the timber companies are sweating just a little bit under the current scrutiny; scrutiny that is refreshed every time a hoof rot story makes the media.  A dozen Elk laying in a small field next to a highway starving to death is not a pretty sight.

Wolves can alleviate that problem, heck they'll probably be praised for making the herd "healthy, happy and stronger" just like the Disney wolves do.

.....meanwhile they breed and breed with the smorgasbord of easy to catch animals at their feet creating a wolf boom.  Remember, they're booming over here with large and very healthy Elk - give them 10,000's of sickly Elk and blacktail to feast upon  :yike:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2014, 10:03:06 AM »
Then add to that all the displaced lions coming into town

I'd almost be giddy to see the West side reap what they've sewn over here on the East side...but I'm bigger than that  8)

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »
Then add to that all the displaced lions coming into town

I'd almost be giddy to see the West side reap what they've sewn over here on the East side...but I'm bigger than that  8)

That could happen.

The great unknown is how wolves will fair west of the mountains. The vegetation, the weather, and terrain is different from just about anywhere wolves have occurred since reintroduction and there are far more people. Even the game is a little different. One constant has held true for wolves so far, the landscape has been similar everywhere they went. That ends west of the Cascades.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Mtnwalker
[Today at 05:24:30 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 05:23:46 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]