collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer camp ethical question  (Read 14041 times)

Offline Hockeyhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Deer camp ethical question
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:17:52 PM »
First off, would like to say if this is in the wrong category, please move it, and also sorry if I get long winded;) Anyway, as many may have seen, I am able to take my son deer hunting this year for the first time after completing his hunter ed this year. I have been telling him that we will probably just hunt around here because we haven't scouted places to go, etc. He then told me he wanted to go camping at the same time, I started looking into some National Forest land on the Eastern side of the state. Having never wen there before I decided to talk to a couple guys at work and see if they had any input at all as they have both been around a while. I told them where I was thinking of going and one replied that he would be a little worried about going over and ending up in a spot that someone has been camping for years and pissing them off basically. The other kind of agreed but said that it was public land. They also reminded me of people that we ran into elk hunting that had items stolen from his camp after a run in with someone saying he was in their spot. What I am getting at is, I believe public land is just what it says. Belongs to everyone and it's first come first serve. However, if I was the one who had to pick a different campsite after being in the same place for so many years, I would probably be a little upset too. Not to the point of destroying or stealing someone's things.

So, all that being said, how does somebody who is new to an area make sure that they will not be setting up shop somewhere that someone else has for years? Or am I worrying over nothing? If I didn't have my son, I probably wouldn't be concerned at all. But, I know that this particular Natl Forest is pretty busy during hunting season and I would hate to be the one that ruins somebody else's hunt who has put in lots of time scouting, planning, etc. just didn't know if there are any unwritten rules or anything to follow in this type of situation. Sorry again for being so long winded!!

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: Deer camp ethical question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »
Or am I worrying over nothing?

:yeah:

Or camp in a campground

Offline JColony

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »
In my opinion, you nailed it.  It's public land, first come first serve.  You have the same right to that spot as the next guy, regardless of how long they've been camping there. 

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »
I would find a spot that hasn't been camped in for a few years....then it'd be "your" spot  :hello:

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 06:33:52 PM »
1st off you are over thinking this, second off if you are worried then camp in a camp ground of you can, third off unless you are going over like wed before the opener you are good as most established camps will be up early, forth off f'em, it is nat forest land and its first come, you can tell well established camp sites, good fire pits, meat poles, cleared are etc etc..
 So you can avoid those.

Not sure where you are thinking of going, but if you want you can camp at my place, other kids there, nat forest all around and a family friendly atmosphere, and there is deer around.. youj can tent it or i have an extra trailer all set up

To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 06:36:32 PM »
Those people are A-holes and need to be pissed off. Public land is first come, first served--period. Pack up all your valuables and camp.

Offline Halo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »
I figure if someone beats me out of a camping spot or hunting spot they are more devoted than I am and deserve it.

Offline go4steelhd

• Sourdough
  • MT Wild Sheep Foundation Life Time Member
  • Groups: go4steelhd
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »
In Washington there are a lot of hunters that have hunted the same spot for years. So they feel entitled to there camping spot. Some have put hours of work into leveling, clearing trees, making fire pits and so on.
I have camped in the same spot during archery season for 8 years with no issue. Last year I set up my camp in archery and left it up because I had a muzzy deer tag. Then when I was done hunting with a muzzle loader  I left camp up to rifle deer hunt with my dad. Then elk season is the next weekend so I left it up again. I got my bull opening morning when some guys who put a trailer 5 feet from my wall tent got back to camp. I said hi and offered them about half a cord of wood I had cut and spilt. From here the conversation went south. 
So I feel it's first come first serve. But  In my case I had a tent up for along time and no one else had a real chance at that spot. So I was probable in the wrong.
NW__HUNTER Instagram

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 06:45:52 PM »
I figure if someone beats me out of a camping spot or hunting spot they are more devoted than I am and deserve it.

First come first serve. If they really wanted it they should've got there sooner.

sent from my typewriter

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 06:51:50 PM »
In my opinion, you nailed it.  It's public land, first come first serve.  You have the same right to that spot as the next guy, regardless of how long they've been camping there.

Now I might be nice if I have a little pump tent I might not pick a spot that has room for 4 wall tents and an RV

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 06:54:29 PM »
I have been on both sides of this issue over the years and I refuse to be a Jack Wagon over a public square of ground. People need to get over themselves. It is not their spot.

Near Twisp we camped in the same spot for 15 years. Two years ago. There was a old guy with a pup tent right in the middle of it.

We moved 100 yards and set up a new spot. Had him over for fire time evry night and for dinner twice.

This year we have scoped out a new spot for muzzy. Some one has camped there before because there is a fire pit and meat pole, even a toilet they left.
Is it from last muzzy season? Last deer season? Don't know or do I care.

We go over early we pick a spot and we make it ours for the time we are there.

As it should be. If someone else is there we have a 2 nd and a 3 rd spot picked already.

Go camp where you want. I try not to take a bigger spot than I need. And if I know someone camps some where every year I will not take there spot.
Otherwise it is just one spot in thousands on public land.

And if someone comes along a says I am in there spot, if they look decent and are nice about I might offer to share. But if not if they want to be a jack wagon they can go pound sand.

I have a big enough camp and enough people to stand my ground if pushed too hard.

Have a good time. And if you see my avatar out hunting stop in and make new friends.

:tup:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline no.cen.wa

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 08:46:49 PM »
We used to camp on the power line right of way about 8-10 miles out of Twisp. There where about a dozen camp spots and were always full in the 70's and 80's. We got the lousiest one, cleaned it up built a great fire pit and hung deer poles! Well now it wasn't the bad camp anymore and often others would be there when we got off work and drove 300 miles. We probably repaired fire pits, deer poles etc, in every one of them at one time or another for 35 years we hunted there. We just moved to a new spot if we could, or built one.
Like others have said, if it looks like someone has been using it maybe find your own or leave enough room for others. We met many good people in the camps. If your in the one we use now,, well, you'll have great company!
ps, we can always use help getting fire wood!
Good luck hunting, we've got great stories for the young ones! and some of them are true!
  John G

Offline Hockeyhunter

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 08:58:30 PM »
1st off you are over thinking this, second off if you are worried then camp in a camp ground of you can, third off unless you are going over like wed before the opener you are good as most established camps will be up early, forth off f'em, it is nat forest land and its first come, you can tell well established camp sites, good fire pits, meat poles, cleared are etc etc..
 So you can avoid those.

Not sure where you are thinking of going, but if you want you can camp at my place, other kids there, nat forest all around and a family friendly atmosphere, and there is deer around.. youj can tent it or i have an extra trailer all set up

Well, I think you covered all the bases there!! Figured I was over thinking, I wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't just me and my son. Really want to teach him to love the outdoors and have a positive experience. Thanks. And be careful or I will end up knocking on your door;);)

Offline GoPlayOutside

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 09:31:01 PM »
It's Public Land.
If someone wanted a spot that bad, they should have got there first.  That is why you see the little pup tents setting up 1 or 2 weeks before seasons these days.

I have had the same hunting spots for years at a time, and then, 1 year someone else is in it.....no problem, I find or make a camp close to my favorite spot.

Don't worry about it....get your kid out there!!!!!  Good Luck!!!  Have fun!
"Aim small, miss small."
Genesis 27:3, "Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »
I have to echo what everyone else is saying.
It's first come first serve public lands.
When I hunt/camp on public land I show up a few days early so that I can get a "good" spot. Or really I want to have a pick of a few different "good" spots.
I have always felt that setting up a comfortable camp is half the fun. I really don't understand getting possessive over a certain spot. If one I have camped at before is taken then I have the opportunity of setting up a new one.

"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal