collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 340 Manastash 65+cow tag  (Read 3659 times)

Offline camanofishn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
340 Manastash 65+cow tag
« on: September 27, 2014, 01:08:53 PM »
I was drawn for a 65+ cow tag for the Manastash area.  Due to scheduling conflicts, I will not be able to travel to the area and check it out.

One person told me to hunt the Tamarack Springs are and or White Fir Canyon.  I found the Springs but could not locate White Fir, I have purchased several topo maps.  Any other areas to camp and hunt from camp for a cow.  I can't hunt the canyons like I used to when hunting the Clockum.

What are the road conditions?  What is the best road access from the Thorp area to tow a small travel trailer?

Thank you for the help.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: 340 Manastash 65+cow tag
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 01:13:54 PM »
Access from just north of Thorp at Icecicle or Ice something.  Road is good to tamarack that way.   All good country and should have elk moving all around it.  Once you are on top, pretty flat country and can avoid most canyon stuff.  You shouldn't have a problem getting your trailer up there.   There are lots of big camping areas on top and a few scattered on your way up.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 01:17:45 PM »
Icewater off of Taneum by Thorp

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 02:03:42 PM »
With limited mobility, I would hunt the tamarac springs/willow gulch area. You can stay on top above willow gulch. Lots of elk move around up there.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 03:49:51 PM »
Access from just north of Thorp at Icecicle or Ice something.  Road is good to tamarack that way.   All good country and should have elk moving all around it.  Once you are on top, pretty flat country and can avoid most canyon stuff.  You shouldn't have a problem getting your trailer up there.   There are lots of big camping areas on top and a few scattered on your way up.

Spot on! :yeah:9
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 04:13:24 PM »
What tag?  If you. Go up joe watt, or Hutchins it is rough on tires.  That being sai I will be taking my trailer up muzzy season again.

Offline camanofishn

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »
Thank you to everyone for the information and suggestions.  I appreciate the help.

Offline Ryans71

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 05:49:35 AM »
What tag?  If you. Go up joe watt, or Hutchins it is rough on tires.  That being sai I will be taking my trailer up muzzy season again.

Second that.  The road going up Joe Watt is pretty rough and depending upon what kind of trailer you have I wouldn't recommend taking a trailer up it.  Truck and camper would be ok.  The Hutchins Road is very rough on the tires & suspension and will rattle the crap out of your rig and trailer.  Make sure your cabinets don't rattle open.  But it's good enough to get a trailer up.  A lot of people take trailer up it.  Just slow and steady. 

If you're going to hunt the Tamarack Springs area you might be better off running up the 3330 road.  The road is more of a gravel road.  It'll have washboards but is easier on the tires & rig.

Ryan
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:55:57 AM by Ryans71 »

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 07:37:43 AM »
Yeah. We make jokes about starting a mobile trailer repair business on Hutchins road to reattach the cabinets that fall off the walls and the axles that shift on their springs. If you go up Hutchins from Joe Watt plan on going super slow. Its a bed of rocks, not gravel, rocks and about 10 or 11 miles to the Tamarack Springs area.   I agree with going around by Icewater on the Taneum Rd unless you've got a lot of patience and a well prepared trailer like Sled has.
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

Offline Killmore

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 08:40:13 AM »
If this is the tag that lets you hunt to the 9th of November I would be spending some time down low in the robinson canyon and the joe watt near the feed stations, and if it snows up high can be a good hunt..

Offline Ryans71

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
Yeah. We make jokes about starting a mobile trailer repair business on Hutchins road to reattach the cabinets that fall off the walls and the axles that shift on their springs. If you go up Hutchins from Joe Watt plan on going super slow. Its a bed of rocks, not gravel, rocks and about 10 or 11 miles to the Tamarack Springs area.   I agree with going around by Icewater on the Taneum Rd unless you've got a lot of patience and a well prepared trailer like Sled has.

We camp about 2 miles up Hutchins.  I swear you can hear the rigs rattling from a long distance away.   Good idea on the mobile trailer repair  :chuckle:

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 05:02:05 PM »
  I don't know how well prepared i am but it does take me 2hours to go from the gate to camp.  4 low, put in drive.  Just steer.  Don't be in a hurry!

Offline Ryans71

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 06:06:42 AM »
  I don't know how well prepared i am but it does take me 2hours to go from the gate to camp.  4 low, put in drive.  Just steer.  Don't be in a hurry!

Funny, that's exactly what I do.  Put her in 4 low and take my time.  I've got a large camper and it'll get swaying pretty good on that road if you go too fast in couple of spots.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal