collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nitro grappler or cooper sst tires?  (Read 9819 times)

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Nitro grappler or cooper sst tires?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »
As mentioned, the biggest issue with the Toyo MT's is the being diligent on rotates.  The other issue is running the proper pressure.  I don't care what you are hauling, you don't need 65PSI in them.  Period.  They will round out so damn fast.  3/4 ton rig should be running upper 40's.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 09:14:59 AM »
Just talked with schwab, what do you guys know about the open country AT2?

I'm putting a set of AT2's on my truck this Saturday.  I've heard nothing but good about them so far.  Got a few friends that run them.  Here 's a link to Toyo's tire selection and the different tire ratings.

http://toyotires.com/tires/suv-light-truck-tires

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 09:17:27 AM »
I have had the nitto trail grapplers on my tundra for 3 years now.  So far have been very happy with them.  They are louder than some of the others but I paid less than $1000 for them mounted and balanced.  I have about 30,000 miles on them and I think I am around 65% tread left.  They are basically a 33" 11.5 tire I think so for that price I couldn't pass them up..

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 09:18:02 AM »
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline gr8whthunter

• Team Moon Howlers 1
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 09:34:45 AM »
I've never seen good results from Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain tires on the bigger trucks. Simple human nature shows that people don't maintain their tires/vehicles as they should. On those heavier trucks, when those tires aren't rotated like mad, they cup really bad. I've seen it dozens of times. Not nearly as bad on the half ton trucks.
Again, just my .02 seeing these trucks day in and day out for the last I forgot how many years.

I'm on my second set and never had any issues at all.  Both trucks were 2500 cummins with 35" tires. 
I do however rotate them at every oil change, (5000 mile)

i dunno about all that, again my truck was a 2004 f250 six pack longbed 7750lbs and i didnt rotate them for a year and a half no cupping and i drove that thing quite a bit

it did spend a couple months in the shop though...6.blow powerstroke  :chuckle: :bash:
Completely not The Chosen One of the YKWTSASFFRO...

Tikka T3 Lite 270wsm
Remington M700 22-250 BDL
Savage M93R .17HMR
Winchester model 94 (1972) 30-30
Diamond Archery - Outlaw

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 09:37:36 AM »
As mentioned, the biggest issue with the Toyo MT's is the being diligent on rotates.  The other issue is running the proper pressure.  I don't care what you are hauling, you don't need 65PSI in them.  Period.  They will round out so damn fast.  3/4 ton rig should be running upper 40's.

:yeah:

65 is max pressure if I'm not mistaken.  I run mine at 50 as recommended by a buddy who I really trust with tire knowledge. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 09:47:35 AM »
I've never seen good results from Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain tires on the bigger trucks. Simple human nature shows that people don't maintain their tires/vehicles as they should. On those heavier trucks, when those tires aren't rotated like mad, they cup really bad. I've seen it dozens of times. Not nearly as bad on the half ton trucks.
Again, just my .02 seeing these trucks day in and day out for the last I forgot how many years.

I'm on my second set and never had any issues at all.  Both trucks were 2500 cummins with 35" tires. 
I do however rotate them at every oil change, (5000 mile)

i dunno about all that, again my truck was a 2004 f250 six pack longbed 7750lbs and i didnt rotate them for a year and a half no cupping and i drove that thing quite a bit

it did spend a couple months in the shop though...6.blow powerstroke  :chuckle: :bash:

You're a rare case if that's true.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
Just talked with schwab, what do you guys know about the open country AT2?

I'm putting a set of AT2's on my truck this Saturday.  I've heard nothing but good about them so far.  Got a few friends that run them.  Here 's a link to Toyo's tire selection and the different tire ratings.

http://toyotires.com/tires/suv-light-truck-tires
Looks very similar to the Cooper AT3...
http://us.coopertire.com/customer-care/tire-navigator.aspx?searchType=vehicle&year=2002&make=Chevrolet%20Trucks&model=Silverado%202500%20HD%20LT%20&option=%20Base&tab=0
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 10:16:14 AM »
I have the nitto's on my 95 dodge 2500 12v they've been great.   Not sure the mileage but they're holding up very well.  They don't sidewall flex with a heavy camper on either.
My mileage did go down when I switched from a tall skinny tire to the bigger Nitto,  from 20-21 to 17-18 MPG.   I need to find a set of new rims and snow tires.

very little road noise, I've had some tires that even drown out my loud azzed truck - makes for a long day road tripping.

The nitto's are roughly 32x12x17 and almost rub in the wheel wells.  I need stiffer front springs with the big bumper and winch hanging off the front  :chuckle:

They really, really suck in the snow though FYI  even siped and brand new.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »
I have the nitto's on my 95 dodge 2500 12v they've been great.   Not sure the mileage but they're holding up very well.  They don't sidewall flex with a heavy camper on either.
My mileage did go down when I switched from a tall skinny tire to the bigger Nitto,  from 20-21 to 17-18 MPG.   I need to find a set of new rims and snow tires.

very little road noise, I've had some tires that even drown out my loud azzed truck - makes for a long day road tripping.

The nitto's are roughly 32x12x17 and almost rub in the wheel wells.  I need stiffer front springs with the big bumper and winch hanging off the front  :chuckle:

They really, really suck in the snow though FYI  even siped and brand new.
too bad to hear about the snow traction, my old mt's were really good in the snow.

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »
It sounds like you guys don't cooper, toyo's are just too damn expensive. Might have to go with nitto.

Toyos are expensive, and DURABLE, fellow i know runs a LS store...they see a damaged Toyo MT maybe once a year...and they sell them by the truckload.  I have a very worn set on my FS Chevy, need to replace them..but they outperform all the other MT type tires I have had on 3 different trucks.  I'll suck it up and pay for the Toyos MTs
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 11:15:35 AM »

One DOES have to pay attention and rotate/check balance.  OTOH I'm the guy with 236K on one truck, 177K on another and am running a third with 196K on it...the first two i put most all the miles on them, the third I bought from a board member, in really good shape and have proceeded to run the stuffings out of it hauling wood and trailers.and it keeps on going.  If you look at my tires, they are wearing flat and true with just a bit of taper on the fronts on both inner and outer edges...which is why they go to the back to get flattened out again.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 11:26:32 AM »
Where are you buying from? If the place has the cooper st maxx I suggest you take a look at them. They have a hybrid at/mt design and once you feel the beefiness of the 3 ply sidewall you will be sold. They are super tough and no rocky road is a worry with those tires. Not that loud on the highway, they are very heavy tires though so mileage may suffer a little.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
Well the toyo mt's are 467.00 a piece, the reviews I've heard and seen for the open country at2's are pretty good.  And at 366.00 a piece, I will go with the open country tires this time, even though I think the toyo's are better.  Just too much when I have my Idaho elk tag to buy!! Got to have your prioritys !  :chuckle: thanks , you guys are great for helping out.

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 05:44:42 PM »
I'm on my second set of Cooper SST and I really like them and they are made in USA

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]