collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crunch Time Mystery Buck  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Crunch Time Mystery Buck
« on: October 10, 2014, 08:18:03 AM »
It has been a season of misses, misfires, hangfires and dumbshiiiiite moves for me. 

Two days into the season I missed two easy shots at a big three point.  I could have clubbed it with a rock.  So I decided to do some target shooting to make sure my gun was on.  First thing I did was accidentally double load my barrel with two  Lee Real bullets and a total of 200 grains of pyrodex.  Tried driving the loads out the breech & it all got stuck in there real bad. Crap.  I came down with a bad cold & wasn't feeling too good, so blame it on that.

Made it to Big R's in Omak the next morning & bought another smokepole.  Shot it & it was dead on from the factory.  Three days left in the season.  Climbed up on the hill by first light & a bruiser 4x4 with eye guards jumped right out in front of me.  30 yards. "Click!"  Buck took off.

I fiddled with the gun that night & adjusted the ignition.  Got it working pretty good, but I only saw a pisscutter 2x2 the next day.  Wife saw nothing, so we decided to hunt the last day of the season together.  I had been seeing a small  buck, but he kept his head tucked in the brush.  Maybe we could take a better look on Sunday.

Got up at 4 a.m. and we were in the field by first light.  Saw three does right away & we followed them at a distance up a draw.  In the opens across the draw, two bucks were browsing.  One was the pisscutter along with the mystery buck.  From about 250 yards he looked like he might be legal. There was some cloud cover & the light was flat.  Since the bucks didn't see us, we took our time climbing the ridge to get above them.  Strong wind in our favor.  We traversed to get above the bucks, which by now had turned the corner, heading for a pass with lots of timber.  I knew they were just getting a few more bites before they bedded down, so we hoofed it pretty fast to cut them off.

Next thing I knew, I was face to face with the pisscutter.  He wasn't sure about me, and he took a bite.  I got down low and blew a doe bleat to calm him down.  We got behind some taller brush and made it quick to the pass & waited.  The deer were below us... two bucks, and the does, too.  Waited a good 5 minutes when the mystery buck came browsing below.  He showed his rack,neck, and the top of his back.

I raised my new gun to shoot him, and it went "Click!"  I told my wife to shoot the buck, but she handed me her gun.  "You shoot it."  So I raised her gun and shot a nice big hole in the dirt.  I took my new gun back & capped it up with a fresh one.  By now I could only see the bucks head, and he was getting huffy. "Powww!"  Right in the chops.

One thing I've learned over the years... muzzleloading sure is a pain in the arse.  It makes me tired, but it sure is fun!   :tup:

Offline bigdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Crunch Time Mystery Buck
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:23:48 AM »
persistence!!! Great job!

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »
Man, that reminds me of my first season muzzleloading back in 2008.  I went through three different borrowed muzzleloaders, and had technical problems with ALL of them.  I finally borrowed a fourth one that actually shot something out the front, and took my first muzzy deer with that.  Congratulations to you on your fine buck!  Way to keep after it! 

Offline elkoholic1

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: elkoholic1
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »
 :tup:

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 01:33:22 PM »
That's cool! My wife would have shot it! :chuckle:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »
Very nice buck, man.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 01:46:30 PM »
Way to stick with it :tup:

Offline TopOfTheFoodChain

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 03:20:08 PM »
Glad to know it wasn't just me this year.  :rolleyes: At least you finally connected. Nice buck.  :tup:

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »
Thank you guys.  I guess the thing I did right was sticking with it.  I sure did get my fair share of chances.  Now that I have my wife interested in black powder, we'll have to lot of off season shooting.  Maybe that will help.  It was a great trip!  Here's the view of our camp.  We stayed 2 weeks total.  The wife says it was the best vacation she ever had!

Offline DeerHarvester

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 05:41:51 PM »
Sounds like a hunt to remember.  Good work uncle.
Will hunt for food.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 06:01:05 PM »
Persistence:tup:
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal