collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Are you sitting down? Methow doe tag....  (Read 6219 times)

Offline bullcanyon

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Are you sitting down? Methow doe tag....
« on: October 10, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »
So I talked with a very nice guy at the wdfw today.  I was informed that there would be 400 second deer doe permits for the chiliwist unit.  I was also informed that this hunt would take place in october and in november during the quality archery permit season (which I drew).  It would however not be during the rifle quality permit for this unit.  Here's the kicker.  The doe permit holders are allowed to use modern firearm during the archery hunt.  So they didn't want to interrupt the quality rifle hunt with a bunch of second deer tags, but it was no big deal to interfere with the archery hunt.  Probably one of the biggest F Us the game department has given me as a bow hunter in this state.  I was given a few options though.  Curious what you guys would do.

Option 1 Pay 50 cents and get my permit changed to allow me to hunt the same dates plus dec 1 -14th

Option 2 Just hunt the normal permit season with hunters orange required.

Option 3 Get my points back.

I appreciate them "trying" to make this better, but I just can't fathom how the people that made this decision has the job they have.  The fella I talked to basically said the email was sent out without proofreading.  Seems like the email I read said something about doe hunts during the nov 1-20 permit hunt.  I mentioned that several times, but he didn't acknowledge it.  My best guess is that someone in the uppers has that tag or one of their buddies.  Why else would they decide to put this hunt during the archery season rather than the rifle?  This is more than just an oopsy.  Blatantly saying they don't give 2 you know whats about archery hunters in this state.  I already knew that, but this just hammered it home.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Are you sitting down? Methow doe tag....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:26:54 PM »
Pretty lame! I'd get my points back and try for something else next year. How many points did you burn to get drawn?
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline UBA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:30:50 PM »
Get your points back.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »
Probably go for points unless you think some bucks will show up late or enough weather will scare other hunters out.  From the reg booklet I see that the tag you have is listed as Quality Deer and the modern tags are Buck Deer (not quality).  WDFW says that 'quality' is for the hunt not necessarily the animal.  Kind of seems like it might not meet that definition if you have 400 new best buddies and their adult counterparts running all over the place.

Offline bullcanyon

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:50:49 PM »
I'm torn right now.  Take 250 or so does out of the equation and you have less does for them bucks to chase making the ratio a little better.  Might just grab the points and go chase whitetails with my cousin.  Almost feel bad he don't have the tag with me anyways....

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 10:24:59 PM »
There is no quality rifle permit for this unit. I'd get my points back if it were my tag. :twocents:

Offline bullcanyon

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 05:34:26 AM »
Guess I should read clsoer.  Apparently I don't pay close attention to the rifle permit.  So yes it's not a quality, but there is a  rifle buck permit for white-tailed deer.  Still should of had some of those doe tags being filled during that season.  Heck that makes much more sense with it not being a "quality
 hunt.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 06:30:27 AM »
I'd get my points back and try for the Entiat next year.    Theres not enough food in the unit to hold deer in December.  The migrators will move on.  I guess you could shoot over one of their feed piles.  I cant believe they are making December an option.  Wow, they are dumb.  This whole thing is dumb.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 07:29:49 AM »
They've got to do something and it looks like they're giving you some good options. I understand them not having the doe permits during the modern quality hunt to tick off fewer people than they would during the quality archery hunt. It's a balance of the need to remove animals that would starve and the politics of having separate hunting groups all wanting the best for their particular group.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 09:38:13 PM »
WDFW admitted they screwed this up with the 20 quality late bow tag guys. Amazing, but true.

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/474272479287506/
  • Groups: Mule Deer Foundation-Life Member, NRA-Life Member, NWTF-Life Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 10:10:08 PM »
The reason they placed the doe permit hunt during those dates is, they had to try and catch the migration at the best time to harvest the most does possible, but before the deer get stacked up and stressed in the bottoms, either on farm land or feeders.  Yes, they admitted they made this mistake at the Brewster roundtable meeting two weeks ago, and there were 2 draw permit holders there with the same tag as you.  They acknowledged it was a screw-up, and are trying to find best options.
I would say, if you hunt far off the roads and you know where some quality deer are, go for it.  But if it's scouting/hunting while you're there, I'd take the points back, personally.
"We didn't inherit this earth from our fore fathers, we're borrowing it from our children."

Offline washingtonhunter121

• Hunter
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 10:29:49 PM »
Hey I understand points cost money and permits you have to wait for but I'm going to sound like a jerk but all of you guys put your money in the hands of the wdfw and you get surprised when you get screwed over? I don't put in for that sole reason

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 08:44:13 AM »
The reason they placed the doe permit hunt during those dates is, they had to try and catch the migration at the best time to harvest the most does possible, but before the deer get stacked up and stressed in the bottoms, either on farm land or feeders.

You just totally contradicted what you stood up and said at the meeting. You went on to say that the migratory deer were more healthy than the local deer and the local deer needed to be thinned out to allow the more healthy migratory deer survive. That comment alone had several of us doubting any credibility you had. I appreciate your work getting the fund raiser in Winthrop going, but be careful what "facts" you state to the general public here, because I'd hate for that to be the reason some don't attend the event. :twocents:

Offline MuleDeer

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/474272479287506/
  • Groups: Mule Deer Foundation-Life Member, NRA-Life Member, NWTF-Life Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 11:03:55 PM »
I stand by what I said at the meeting, and I didn't contradict myself at all.  I said here that "The reason they placed the doe permit hunt during those dates is, they had to try and catch the migration at the best time to harvest the most does possible, but before the deer get stacked up and stressed in the bottoms, either on farm land or feeders."  That is exactly the reason they (WDFW) gave.  I didn't make the decision on when or how to harvest the deer, or when to hold the hunt, WDFW did.  I just gave their reasoning for it.  Doesn't mean I agreed with it.
What I said at the meeting was that the local deer were the ones that needed to be thinned, because: 1- They aren't as strong as the migratory deer, and 2- The migratory deer don't present as much of a problem long term, because they migrate....they leave once winter is ending.  The local deer don't, and will continue to damage winter range after the migratory deer have already left.
I'm always open to debate, or willing to explain what I say, but don't assume that WDFW's views are mine, and when I mention a reason they did something, it doesn't mean it's my opinion, or that I even agree with it.
I gave three answers to three questions that were brought up, and WDFW didn't give solid, or complete answers that I thought would explain things better.  All the answers I gave there were their own explanations.  Don't ask me why they didn't give them, other than they were being fired at as usual, and I would imagine it's hard to answer every question fully when "under the gun".  If you still question what I said, let me know and I'm happy to go into more detail.
"We didn't inherit this earth from our fore fathers, we're borrowing it from our children."

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 11:24:37 PM »
I have no skin in this game, but it seems to me that those who drew this archery tag should be allowed to hunt it AND given their points back since it might not be the quality hunt they applied for.   :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]