collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who cans their venison?  (Read 6056 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Who cans their venison?
« on: October 16, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »
I did, well one batch anyways, 7 quarts jars.

Curious what people have found to do with canned venison.   Last night I made Chili Colorado with a jar of canned venison. 

Also 1 inch of head space isn't quite enough,  next time I'll leave more it boiled fats and grease all over inside the canner.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Who cans their venison?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:30:21 AM »
3/4in chunks raw with a pinch of sea salt in the jar ...........heated over noodles, rice, any type potato, stew, chili, soup..........on and on. 

Offline robescc

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 09:06:34 PM »
I actually prefer my venison this way. I save the back straps for steaks and can all the rest. My wife doesn't like the taste of venison but she does like it canned. I put a teaspoon of canning salt, quarter of a small onion and a clove of garlic in a quart jar. I hot pack it so I can get more meet in the jars than raw packing. This makes the most tough meat, like the front shoulder, fall apart tender. This year, we tried something different. My wife is Mexican and cooks really well. Since she makes killer Birria, she made the sauce and put 1 cup of it in each jar. We then packed the jars and finished it off with the juice from cooking it slightly. We haven't tried it yet but I am looking forward to it.
I hunt therefore I am.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 04:29:25 AM »
*tag*  8)

Offline loggerjim

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 05:07:40 AM »
We strain it, then roll in flour, season and fry. I know it's already cooked, but you should try it. I've also made barbecue pulled sandwiches out of it. Delicious!

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 11:19:45 AM »

Curious what people have found to do with canned venison.   Last night I made Chili Colorado with a jar of canned venison. 

Also 1 inch of head space isn't quite enough,  next time I'll leave more it boiled fats and grease all over inside the canner.

Where is the fat and grease coming from?  Ours this year (7 jars as well but only had about 1 1/4 pounds and a quarter onion in each) had maybe a light film from what cooked out of the meat.  I also had way more headspace than an inch and it still came out.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 11:39:24 AM »

Where is the fat and grease coming from?  Ours this year (7 jars as well but only had about 1 1/4 pounds and a quarter onion in each) had maybe a light film from what cooked out of the meat.  I also had way more headspace than an inch and it still came out.

We set aside 13lbs for 7 quarts which is about 1.8 lbs per quart.  With diligent removal of silverskin, most tendons and fat, we probably end up with about 1.6-1.7lbs per jar. Depending on how much tendons are left, we may or may not have sealing issues due to fat. This can be alleviated by using less meat and increasing the headspace.

Offline wapiti hunter2

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 12:02:36 PM »
We make the chili, stews etc and then can them. Quick easy pop in the pan meals.

Offline Florida_Native

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
From the south. Never heard of.canned.meat before I came here which is suprising you would think this would be needed in a warmer climate.

How does it affect the taste?

What else do.you can? Any fish receipe? Let me know if I.am.hijacking the thread and I'll move it.
Acts 10:12, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 12:48:16 PM »
 Grew up on this stuff , makes great sandwich spread . Drain liquid,chop with food processor (or just mince with fork), ad mayo, horseradish, onoion etc. to taste .

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »
Yep. As a sandwich spread, pulled w bbq sauce, over penne noodles,  mixed into scrambled eggs, or a killer carneasada type for tacos or burritos. You cannot beat having a cupboard full of wonderful soft ready to eat canned deer elk or bear.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline T Pearce

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 06:38:44 PM »
Sounds good!
I prefer fresh but am prepared to can everything if the power is still out on day 3.

And I'm sorry KF I thought this was another newby thread when I first posted.
 :sry:
Tom
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:48:25 PM by T Pearce »
Pavement, crowds and inaccurate rifles...
Thanks anyway.

JUNK SCIENCE, Never touch the stuff...
If you are reading this you can now tell your friends that you know someone that drinks Rainier
Sometimes the main rd.....sometimes the Candy Trail

Offline T Pearce

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »
From the south. Never heard of.canned.meat before I came here which is suprising you would think this would be needed in a warmer climate.

How does it affect the taste?

What else do.you can? Any fish receipe? Let me know if I.am.hijacking the thread and I'll move it.
Florida, the usda has all the info you need. And yes its good stuff. I'd believe that canning is more of a humid country thing with drying prominence out west
T
Pavement, crowds and inaccurate rifles...
Thanks anyway.

JUNK SCIENCE, Never touch the stuff...
If you are reading this you can now tell your friends that you know someone that drinks Rainier
Sometimes the main rd.....sometimes the Candy Trail

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 06:56:35 PM »
OK, I canned 36 pints of elk this year and it is fantastic.  What does it mean to hot pack the meat?  All I did was put the meat in the container and can it.  I did not pack the meat in.  When it came out there was a gap of 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch gap from the lid and the meat. 

Anyway, I would like to know what hot packing is?  What it does for you?
275 down 2

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 08:49:56 PM »
We always brown it first, then in the canner 90 min at 11 lbs . I think the browning may be "hot packing " not sure tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dilligaf

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal