collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Please educate me on Late Bow Season  (Read 4760 times)

Offline TRD1911

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Please educate me on Late Bow Season
« on: October 18, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »
New to hunting WA and trying to understand the regulations in regards to late bow season. My questions (thus far) -

Do I need to purchase another tag or can I use the one that I wasn't able to fill during the regular season?

Are there pre-designated GMU's only?

Will a deer archery tag be good for anywhere in the State?

Any other information that will keep me out of trouble is also welcome.

Thanks.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Please educate me on Late Bow Season
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 04:48:40 PM »
-No other tag needed.
-Look in the regs for which GMU's are open.  They are different from the early season and there are some rule changes......buck vs doe, etc.
-Deer is good anywhere in the state.

Offline huntndad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 09:51:41 PM »
Deer is good anywhere in the state as long as the gmu is open, which doesn't seem like too many (at least in my opinion).  The regulations booklet is pretty clear about what units are open and when (page 20).  I suggest picking up a booklet and spending a little time with it.  You shouldn't have any trouble keeping yourself out of trouble.  The booklet is not all the confusing.  Some units are open until the end of the year,others aren't open at all, and some are open for a week or two.  Most units don't open until mid to late November, so you have some time.  Is there a particular unit you have questions about? 

Offline TRD1911

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:17:34 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping to find some info on 658 but I see that it isnt open for late season. It is the only unit that I am familiar with but may end up giving somewhere else a shot.

Offline huntndad

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:37:18 AM »
Figuring out what unit is open or closed is not a problem, but figuring out what land you can actually access is a pain.  Much of the west side is private timber land.  Many of the areas you can only access with a permit (most Weyhauser land). I used to like to hike behind locked gates in 667 in the late season, but I can't do that anymore.  663 was always a popular (crowded) area and will probably be more popular now.  I don't know much about the other 600 gmus.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:26:44 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping to find some info on 658 but I see that it isnt open for late season. It is the only unit that I am familiar with but may end up giving somewhere else a shot.

GPS with OnX maps chip. Find a unit in the regs and get in the woods.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline TRD1911

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:29:34 PM »
 I've been map grooming a lot lately and looking forward to checking out 638 and 618. The OnX maps look to be exactly what is needed.

Thanks again.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »
Yeah, the reason 658 isn't open for archery is that it's open for late muzzleloader. At least that's my theory. Some units ARE open for both archery and muzzleloader at the same time, such as 667.

Offline TRD1911

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
Interesting. Late season may just end up to be another walk through the woods with a bow in hand rather than a "hunt" but it will be fun regardless.

Offline whack em

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 10:32:12 PM »
Being that you're in Kitsap, you have the ability to hunt any deer from the end of Nov through all of Dec. Try checking out the Green Mtn area, and Pope land around the county and you'll find deer.  Trust me, it can be disheartening trying to find a late season blackie as a new hunter to the area, but with some patience and some more will than the next person, you'll find them.
"Civilized life has altogether grown too tame, and, if it is to be stable, it must provide a harmless outlets for the impulses which our remote ancestors satisfied in hunting." --Bertrand Russell

Offline TRD1911

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 07:36:52 PM »
Sorry - double post.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:01:43 PM by TRD1911 »

Offline TRD1911

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 07:24:01 PM »
Ok, I want to confirm that I'm on the right track here. I looked over the regulations and decided to head over to 638 Quinalt Ridge for some scouting the past couple weekends in anticipation of late archery deer/elk. I noticed that there is a MH area only within 638 but is only surrounding Lake Quinault, correct? I was focused mainly on the West Fork / Humptulips River area. Very little sign and most were old but it's all that I have been able to come up with.

So, can someone verify that I'm not getting tripped up in a special permit, MH or anything other special situation for that area for late archery season?

Also, if anyone has hunted the Quinault Ridge rd / NFR 2262, my hat is off to you. I am 30 and in better shape than most in my age group and I am whooped right now! Those hills are no joke.

Offline TRD1911

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »
Being that you're in Kitsap, you have the ability to hunt any deer from the end of Nov through all of Dec. Try checking out the Green Mtn area, and Pope land around the county and you'll find deer.  Trust me, it can be disheartening trying to find a late season blackie as a new hunter to the area, but with some patience and some more will than the next person, you'll find them.

Took your advice and did some scouting in those areas. After picking up the ONX map chip and doing some scouting I found some areas of Kitsap and Mason that I had NO idea even existed. Thanks again for the help.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal