collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: We just picked up our first DSLR  (Read 10298 times)

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Re: We just picked up our first DSLR
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »
Tagging.

We're gonna be taking a DSLR class soon  :IBCOOL: I'm excited.

Offline hrd2fnd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Washington for Wildlife
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 12:17:17 PM »
I personally found the wrist strap on the Nikon 3100 I have was more of a pita when trying to shot pictures so I went back to the neck strap
"Believe in your abilities and confidence will lead you on"

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 01:31:01 PM »
Three important things to get started:

1. Double back up photos (2 external hard drives)
2. Get a high speed class 10 SD card (writes & downloads images faster)
3. ALWAYS have a filter (even if its just a UV) on your lense! If you scratch or brake a filter its much cheaper than scratching or chipping a lense.

G-C-R
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »
Tagging.

What class? I've looked at a few but I'd like the one I attent to be geared towards outdoor photography. I'm probably looking too local, I'm sure there's plenty around.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 04:42:50 PM »
Tagging.

What class? I've looked at a few but I'd like the one I attent to be geared towards outdoor photography. I'm probably looking too local, I'm sure there's plenty around.

To maximize your learning experience in the class, study the dials, settings on your camera so you know how access everything before going, ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc.

Also, learn the difference between aperture, shutter speed and ISO and the relationship they have while changing one or the other. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Becky

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 06:19:29 PM »
It's a class specifically teaching about DSLR cameras. What all the settings mean, best setting for the situation, that type of stuff.

Offline Wazukie

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »
Three important things to get started:

1. Double back up photos (2 external hard drives)
2. Get a high speed class 10 SD card (writes & downloads images faster)
3. ALWAYS have a filter (even if its just a UV) on your lense! If you scratch or brake a filter its much cheaper than scratching or chipping a lense.

G-C-R

I don't like having filters on my lenses, it just takes being careful with the high end glass and always have a hood on. Just my  :twocents:  Most important thing is shoot, shoot, shoot some more and have fun!
Matthew 6:33

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »
 :yeah: I have either a clear or UV filter for most of my lenses, but mainly because my house is a war zone of chitlins. If you're taking an important or high contrast shot, it's best to have it off for maximum image quality. For lenses worth a hundred bucks or less, it's definitely not worth a protective filter.  :twocents:

Offline Becky

• Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 09:40:06 AM »
Tagging.

Where's "local" to you? lol..

So the one class I finally called on, the one that teaches all about "how to master your DSLR" is an online only course and that's not what I want. I called them and the lady was nice and said they have 4 ground classes and the beginning and intermediate photography do cover learning your DSLR just not the main focus. So we're gonna do that probably :) seems kind of just broadly covers everything.

It's Pierce College continuing education in Puyallup - attached is the Fall quarter but they have the same thing coming up in Winter, starts January 14th.

Offline Becky

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 09:43:04 AM »
:yeah: I have either a clear or UV filter for most of my lenses, but mainly because my house is a war zone of chitlins. If you're taking an important or high contrast shot, it's best to have it off for maximum image quality. For lenses worth a hundred bucks or less, it's definitely not worth a protective filter.  :twocents:

How bad does it degrade the image quality to have it on the lens? I would think any $10 cover to save a $200 lens would be worth it  :dunno: but I'm the type that dang near plastic wraps all my electronics.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
If you're just shooting snapshots of stuff to upload on the web you usually won't notice much image degradation. I will take mine off if I'm shooting a landscape or starscape I might want to print large or something else that might count for nice.

If you want to start a fire, log onto a photography forum and ask about filters. Then grab the popcorn. I try to use the lens hood in lieu of a filter. It will protect your objective glass from bumps and drops and keep the sun off to boot. Be advised that anything is going to crack your filter is likely to come through and crack your lens as well.

If you want to split pixels a clear filter is more appropriate for a DSLR than a UV filter. DSLRs aren't affected by the ultraviolet spectrum as was film so putting a UV filter only introduces a color cast--however slight--to your images. A better quality UV filter wont do this as much but will cost you more. You'll also  pay more for multi coated filters as opposed to single coated or Uncoated filters as they are easier to clean and will resist flare when shooting into the sunlight or with harsh artificial light. Again, take it off  to have even less flare.

When cleaning lenses or filters (or binoculars for that matter)  never use windex or any  other harsh ammonia based product. The ammonia will erode the coatings and ruin your glass. Use a blower when possible, or  a microfiber cloth or brush. 100% isopropanol or methanol is appropriate when you get greasy smudges but make sure it's 100% and not the 70% or even 91%. I learned that the other 30% has perfumes and oils meant to keep it tasting nasty so alcoholics don't drink it. Oils and crap are exactly what you're trying to remove.

Times I use a protective filter include when dust and sand are blowing, chemicals are present, or the kids are running around crazy. Or I'm switching lenses back and forth when shooting group events at church. It's nice not to have to fiddle with the lens caps when reaching in and out of the bag. Most of those candid portraits aren't make it or break it with filter induced softness anyway. Oh yeah shooting macro as well. My macro lens requires me to get close and if you loose your balance or don't realize how close you are you just might bump into your subject.  :rolleyes:

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 11:46:40 AM »
Tagging.

To maximize your learning experience in the class, study the dials, settings on your camera so you know how access everything before going, ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc.

Also, learn the difference between aperture, shutter speed and ISO and the relationship they have while changing one or the other. :twocents:

There is a really good app (iphone) called "Expositor"
Shows the relationships between ISO, F-stop, and speed so it is easy to understand.

Another called "Digital DOF" (Depth Of Field)
That shows what the Depth Of Field would be with Camera, Lens, and Aperture settings you want to use.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Becky

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »
 :chuckle: I didn't know it was such a big controversy around filters, thanks for the info and video. It is very helpful.

Ooh, thanks for the apps, we'll look into those since I can't find my photography book I had from last Christmas :'(

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 10:34:53 AM »
I didn't know filters were evil and the devils work either...all I know is that they protect my lenses glass, no matter how "cheap" or expensive the lens costs, and I use them for what they are designed for...to filter light in different ways.

God forbid I put a polarizer on my lens and shoot a snowy mountain with clouds and a blue sky to make it look better...but then again, I don't do much post processing so one could say all photo editing programs are evil and junk, just take a good photo to start with...(sarcasm) but in reality a lot of what one is trying to accomplish with photo editing software can be done by using the camera's functions and filters...theres that evil word again...

For me, and for you two who are "just picked up first DSLR" I recommend getting some filters, using them and deciding for yourself if they are worth it or not...it only takes one time to wipe some dirt/mud/sand etc off your lense even with the softest cloth to scratch the coating...I would rather scrath the filter and be out the $20 than to be out the "cheap $100 lens" as others have put it on here...

There are some great websites out there, and of course a lot of "free" opinions...you get what you pay for, so most of all, just go out and use your camera and take a lot of pictures!

One last piece of advice and then I am done...look through magazines (not just hunting ones, but others like backpacker, outdoor photographer, and others) and really look at the photos for things like composition, angles, focus, lighting, etc...it's in the magazine because it has some good qualities so why not learn from those examples.

G-C-R

PS. If you want to have a lot of fun, take your cameras to Northwest Trek...it adds a whole new dimension to taking animal photos when you know what to expect.
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal