collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any Bears taken from Winston Creek?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline CoastalHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Any Bears taken from Winston Creek?
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:02:41 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has taken a Bear from Winston this year?? Same with Cougar? Have you heard anything?

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Any Bears taken from Winston Creek?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:51:28 AM »
I have not heard of anything yet.  I do know that we did not because even with the pass we could not access our best bear spots.  I suppose we could have worked other areas and had reasonable chance of success.  But with all the loops and route bypasses we just threw in the towel on Winston bear.  Going north or east is much better bear hunting anyway!  Only bear I've seen in the lower Winston the past few years has been in November driving to elk or deer spots before first light.

Now if I were allowed to have a few bags of M&M's and chocolate chips ACCIDENTLY fall out of the back of my truck and I then set a tree stand over them...that would be a different story. ;)  Unfortunately, the LEOs I know tell me that is against the law >:(  Even if I did not realize they accidently fell out of the back of my truck and rolled down a trail a few hundred yards to where I had a treestand, they still tell me it is illegal.  Makes a guy not even be able to enjoy the fruits of a well planned accident.  That's not very nice at all! :tung: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Been more than 20 years now and I still miss baiting bear.  One of these years we will make a trip to Idaho or Ontario.  Sort of relive my youth a little bit!!  Would be a lot cheaper and a lot more satisfying if I could do it in the Winston though!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:58:08 AM by RadSav »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:59:52 AM »
BTW:  Why would you go to Winston to hunt bear?  Should be much better bear hunting around Ocean Shores!

Offline CoastalHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:46:19 AM »
Oh it is very good hunting over here... I was just curious to see if anyone had been successful in the Winston with bear this year. I won't hunt bear in the Winston unless I accidently run into one while on a remote logging road like I did when I was putting up fence fro a friend a couple years ago.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »
Odd thing about Winston bear;  In 30 years I do not think I have ever seen a bear that would break the 250# mark in the Winston.  You would think the upper reaches near the blast zone would have produced some monsters.  The huckleberries were in there thick for a good number of years.  Still are a lot of berries in some spots.  And with the elk die off you would also think their spring protein intake would produce some large bodied big bruisers.  But I have never once seen one I could guarantee was over 250.

I have seen big boys in Packwood, Lewis and Toutle.  In fact a lot of bruisers in one of those units and I rarely spend time there.  But Winston has been a dud in regards to size.  Perhaps the relentless pressure after we finally get in after the fire closures keep them nocturnal :dunno:  Always found it strange.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter