collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: BC moose/caribou hunt (lots of pics)  (Read 22904 times)

Offline starbailey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: BC moose/caribou hunt
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 01:08:53 PM »
 So the next morning (only 3 hunt days left) Ray and I loaded up in his float plane and hopped over to another smaller lake. They have a small cabin and boat on this lake, like they do on most every lake in their guide area, so we took the boat to the end and started hiking. We hiked for a few hours to an area overlooking a pass between this and another valley. We stayed up there glassing till late afternoon seeing nothing but a cow with twin calves. I figured we were going to stay here at this lake but all of a sudden Ray was up and moving back to the boat. Back to the plane, loaded up and took off.
 We went around the end of the mtn range and into another long narrow lake. Into another boat and started up lake glassing as we went. This time we saw 16 goats, a sow grizzly with a cub and one bull moose. The bull was way up above tree line on the move. He didnt look like anything special so we just watched him disappear over the top.
 He wanted to wait until later to glass the willow flats at the head of the lake. They had killed several good bulls there in the past and didnt want to be into the area before moose were up and feeding. We hiked to a spot overlooking the flats and set up to wait while glassing. An hour later and no moose.
 We had a long ride back to the plane so we climbed in and started back. Half way back, Ray pointed up into a slide and there stood a cow. We shut off the motor and soon glassed up another cow. With two cows there I new it was just a matter of time before a bull showed. We beached an got my spotting scope out as there was a "shine" in the brush to the right of the cows. Through the scope we verified it was in deed a bull.

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 01:09:11 PM »
Really enjoy these posts Brian.  Looking forward to the rest!

Offline combs338

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »
Awesome country, I hunted across the Stikine from Collingwoods a few years ago. Cant wait to go back some day.

Offline Natures Way

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, RMEF, DUCKS UNLIMITED, UTA, ITA, OTA
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 01:30:36 PM »
looks like a great hunt!congrats

Offline starbailey

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 01:34:07 PM »
We couldn't get a good look with the bull being bedded deep in the brush but I could see 4 good front points on his right antler with several others on the pan. I told Ray this and he confirmed after looking through the scope he was a mature bull with a front like that. He said he should be in the 48-52 range as thats average for mature bulls in their area. With 3 days left and bull sightings being slim that was all I needed to hear.
 We grabbed our packs and started sneaking up on the moose. We stayed mostly in the trees as we didn't want to have the cows spot us. We made it to the edge of the opening and I ranged a tree right by where the bull should be at 220 yards. I grabbed a rest on an old root wad and gave Ray the go ahead. He cow called 3 times before the bull even stood up. I still didn't have a shot because of the tall brush so Ray continued to call. The bull moved to the edge of the bench he was on giving me a quartering to shot. I heard the thump of bullet hitting hard and the bull spun around standing directly behind a tree. I moved trying to find a lane to get another bullet into him but a south end shot was all offered so I went back to the root wad figuring he'd go back the direction he came from. It seemed like I was waiting for ever but in reality it was maybe 10 seconds when two steps brought him clear of the tree where another shot put him down for good.

Offline JODakota

• BIGtuna
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »
Tag
Not for self, but for country

Offline starbailey

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
Now when that bull got up and looked down at us I knew he wasn't going to be 50" wide. Matter of fact, I was thinking if he was 45 wide I'd be lucky. What I did see had me committed to killing him and I was not disappointed at all when I walked up on him. He was what Ray refered to as a basket racked bull. He said this was only the third one he had been in on in the 37 years of guiding in the Spatsizi and actually apologized for missing the spread by so much.  No matter, I was happy and knew exactly what he was before I pulling the trigger. I love the fronts of my bull. The other moose I have killed don't have much up front so I was hopping for a bull like him.
 We took pics and some video and got to work taking care of him as it was getting dark quick. We had him caped and gutted with fronts and one hind quarter off before we headed back to the lake. I figured we were going to stay the night in the wall tent set up down the lake but Ray said it would be no problem flying back to the main lodge. So by the light of the moon we took off for the short flight back to the Laslui lodge.

Offline starbailey

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 02:29:21 PM »
The next morning after a great breakfast we loaded back up in the plane and flew back to my moose. Once back at the kill I strapped a quarter on the pack frame and started to make the 1/2 mile trip to the lake. Ray started back working finishing up quartering and caping. Ray kept telling me he'd be done soon every time I returned for another quarter but I didn't care. I think it's a great thing to be able to help pack your outfitter whenever and however you can. After my 6th trip all that was left was the antlers, cape and our day packs. Ray loaded the cape and I took the antlers for the last trip down.
 We then loaded the plane with what we could and Ray took off for the first of three loads of moose. I took what was left in the boat and headed down to the tent camp to make a fire to warm up.
The plane trips seemed to take no timeat all and befor I knew it I was back in my cabin with a warm fire going with a glass of Patron in celebration.

Offline starbailey

• Longhunter
Re: BC moose/caribou hunt (lots of pics)
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 02:45:58 PM »
So the next morning (last hunt day) Ray flies out to see how Matt has been ding with his own moose hunt and an hour later he shows back up with Matt. It seems he too had seen a great bull but rushed a forced shot at him through a fogged up scope only to miss. They seen the bull one other time but wind was bad and some cows with the bull spooked taking him along with. He ended up killing a younger bull they had been seeing the last 3 days. His guide figured it to be a three year old bull that would be great eating. Sorry no pics of his bull.
 One other hunter in camp killed a caribou but didnt find the bull he wanted to take home.
 What a great overall hunt. We all had a great time with Collingwood Bros. They have a great hunting area with great equipment. They are able to get to where you need to be so you can have a successful hunt. I would not hesitate to go back with them at all.

Offline elkoholic1

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: elkoholic1
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »
what a great write up and beautiful pics of the scenery and animals congrats on the animals and thanks for sharing!!!   :tup: :tup:

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 05:36:17 PM »
Wow trip of a lifetime there congrats!  :tup:
IAFF #3728

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »
Congrats! Looked like a great time.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 05:54:38 PM »
what a great write up and beautiful pics of the scenery and animals congrats on the animals and thanks for sharing!!!   :tup: :tup:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 06:26:08 PM »
Great palms on that great bull. Nice challenging hunt. Thanks for sharing. 

Offline _TONY_

• TWO BAD HOMBRES
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Sagebrush junkie
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 06:34:23 PM »
Awesome hunt and animals!

Miss that country....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU