collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Are wave machines legal?  (Read 38774 times)

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: Are wave machines legal?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 01:15:42 PM »
Just a call to your local gamie and you're all set.

No, not really.  What if local gamie says, sure no problem, what’s to assure the gamie that checks me later agrees with him/her?

If you've done your due diligence and received a go ahead from one, it's unlikely another would cite you. More likely, he'd check with the officer you spoke with and would drop it. In addition, as an authority representing the state DFW, you would be covered in a court case. No one's going to convict someone who went through the steps to ensure they're legal. There may be exceptions to this but you'd be super unlikely to be one of them.

That’s not been my experience with law enforcement personnel. 

Online CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »
You won't even make out to that stage. You're not going to get any local gamie to tell you they are legal and to use them.

I expect that you are correct.

Online CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »
I sent the WDFW an email.  If I get an answer I'll post it here.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »

No, not really.  What if local gamie says, sure no problem, what’s to assure the gamie that checks me later agrees with him/her?

If you've done your due diligence and received a go ahead from one, it's unlikely another would cite you. More likely, he'd check with the officer you spoke with and would drop it. In addition, as an authority representing the state DFW, you would be covered in a court case. No one's going to convict someone who went through the steps to ensure they're legal. There may be exceptions to this but you'd be super unlikely to be one of them.

That’s not been my experience with law enforcement personnel.

With F&W LE? Really? I've had no problems with them and they've always been very helpful with my questions.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »
With F&W LE? Really? I've had no problems with them and they've always been very helpful with my questions.

+1
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline JBG

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »
Ummmm yea you cant have a quiver decoy or a machine that keeps ice out of a hole running while hunting.  Dont even put yourself in the situation where you put the outcome in LEO's hands (not saying they are bad but why risk it).  Just save yourself the money and buy a feeding butt decoy, run line from that down to a weighted paint can with a handle, through said handle and back to the blind.  That thing will create waves, keep you free from possible miss interpretations by LEO's and you can turn it "off" while birds work close.  It will also keep the opening clear of ice while you simple turn the "deicer" off. 
BOOM, problem solved.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »
:yeah:
The feds also actively enforce migratory bird laws across the state. I've actually been checked more times by USFWS personnel while bird hunting then WDFW. So if the local WDFW Officer said "good to go" what happens when not only another WDFW Officer shows, up but also USFWS?

There are WDFW Officers who look the other ways to all sorts of laws and don't actively enforce them, but you never know who is going to be checking you that day.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 08:40:44 PM »
Ummmm yea you cant have a quiver decoy or a machine that keeps ice out of a hole running while hunting.  Dont even put yourself in the situation where you put the outcome in LEO's hands (not saying they are bad but why risk it).  Just save yourself the money and buy a feeding butt decoy, run line from that down to a weighted paint can with a handle, through said handle and back to the blind.  That thing will create waves, keep you free from possible miss interpretations by LEO's and you can turn it "off" while birds work close.  It will also keep the opening clear of ice while you simple turn the "deicer" off. 
BOOM, problem solved.

I hear if you pour 10W-30 into your hole after you open it, it won't reice for a couple of days.....    :peep:

JK   :chuckle:

Seriously though, if you need to use a de-icer machine, just let it run overnight or before you hunt and then turn it off while you hunt.  I put my quiver pucks away when they passed this dumb law.  IMHO the states should not be able to make more restrictive laws than the feds since they are a Federally managed critter.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »
Like many laws its stupid. There are some decent jerk cord options to add soem ripple to the spread... Or you could just hunt salt water... there is ALWAYS movement in the spread then!  :chuckle:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 07:29:35 AM »
 :yeah:

Thats what i do... and hunt on the other side of an ocean so i always get wind and movement!  i would say jerk strink would be fine and as for ice.... i really don;t know i have had birds walk on ice over to my decoys
Member:  YKWTSASFFRO (The young Buck)

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 10:28:13 AM »
Wave machines are legal. People use them to keep ponds from freezing over. I know a number of people that use them on the eastside.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 01:16:56 PM »
Wave machines are legal. People use them to keep ponds from freezing over. I know a number of people that use them on the eastside.

They are legal to use but once you start hunting you have to shut them off. If you have them running while your hunting you are now doing something illegal.

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »
I got one of these decoys by Ure-a-duck and they kick butt as far as adding movement to your spread.  Completely legal in Wa.

http://ureaduck.com/mallard-decoy-kicking-butt.html

Offline GregFowler23

• SlaughterHouse GC
  • Hunter
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 03:48:21 AM »

They are legal to use but once you start hunting you have to shut them off. If you have them running while your hunting you are now doing something illegal.
Remeber some of the people on the eastside are hunting tribal ground, different regs. Just know where your at i guess.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 06:39:09 AM »
I don't see how they are illegal under that law. It's not a decoy. Seems pretty clear to me that a wave machine would be legal.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]