collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best inexpensive semi-auto  (Read 16769 times)

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Best inexpensive semi-auto
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 09:59:42 AM »
I have had a stoeger for 3 seasons now.  It rides around in my truck, doesn't get cleaned like it should, and gets filthy (cow poo, mud, brush, etc.).  It's used hard.  I've put cases of shells through it and it has jammed once.  I cleaned it, which it needed, and it hasn't jammed since.  I'm planning to buy another.

Offline cliffordingles

• Hunter
  • Groups: U.S. Army
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »
I have an 11-87, love it other than it being back at Remington now for repairs... still a great gun though. My little brother just picked up a Stoger M3500 for 600$ new. I am very impressed with the Stoger. My dad picked up a Beretta last year, I think its a 390? not sure. Its a nice gun too, he paid 400$ new. Look around and you can find good deals.

Offline chester

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 01:47:44 PM »
I was in the same position you are two years ago,  and ended up getting the weatherby SA-08 waterfowl edition for around $500. Haven't had any problems and the thing fits me extremely well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dilligaf

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »
I love my 11-87. The receiver needs to be deburred every 1,000 rounds or so, but it works great and I think you can get one for around $475-500. I got a 28" barrel for mine a few years ago. That was a good investment. Maybe they're more like $600-700.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline timberhunter

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »
i picked up a weatherby sa-08 at bi mart for $400 while on sale. i am very impressed with it, it has cycled everything i have put in it without problems. i have put 2-3k rounds through it between ducks and trap and i would not hesitate to buy another.

Offline cliffordingles

• Hunter
  • Groups: U.S. Army
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 02:13:17 PM »
I paid 709$ for my 1187 last year. The bar thats stamped inside the receiver fell out and the guide rails inside got razor sharp. The gun has maybe 200 rounds through it.. I like it a lot just hope this was a once in a lifetime problem.

The Stoger my brother got came with 4 chokes and a bunch or shims to fit it to you. I tore it down and cleaned all the packing grease out when he first got it. The Stoger is super easy to take apart and clean. Im thinking of getting one for next year.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 02:17:53 PM »
I paid 709$ for my 1187 last year. The bar thats stamped inside the receiver fell out and the guide rails inside got razor sharp. The gun has maybe 200 rounds through it.. I like it a lot just hope this was a once in a lifetime problem.

The Stoger my brother got came with 4 chokes and a bunch or shims to fit it to you. I tore it down and cleaned all the packing grease out when he first got it. The Stoger is super easy to take apart and clean. Im thinking of getting one for next year.

I've had the receiver deburred twice because of the sharpness of the grooves.  :dunno: I still have to be careful cleaning it.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 02:21:27 PM »
stoeger is a great choice.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Devinshoe

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 02:29:19 PM »
I have a Remington versa max and same with my dad and another great friend never had any problems with them cycling or jamming up or nothing. I have friends that have stoegers and franchis and they have had constant problems with them jamming up and not cycling shells properly. One even had the ejection pin that grabs the shell to eject it break, knowing what I know now about how smooth and the performance of the versa max I would hands down just buy one again. They may not be cheap but they are worth the money if you get one!

Offline Bofire

• Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 02:35:38 PM »
 :) :) I have a beautiful 11-87 3 inch gun I'll sell ya for $450.00 I do not care how much you rust it up, right now it is high polish blue and walnut. 11-87 Premier 28 inch, screw in chokes.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »
  don't forget to clean them a lot and put good ammo in them.  mike w

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 06:54:34 PM »
For $600 you should be able to get a deal on a used shotgun in the for sale forums.
Browning Maxus is the best....  But an 11-87 you could find easy enough for sale second hand.

:twocents:
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »
I have had both the mossberg 935 and stoeger 3500. Mossberg was horrible on jamming on every brand and size shell I ever put in it. Fought for 3 years with that gun trying different oils to different grease and amounts to none at all. Nothing made a difference. The gas system was horribly dirty. It patterned awesome though. But ended up being a super heavy single shot a lot of the time. Lol. also had problems with a certain part breaking and had to keep getting replacements in the mail. It was a common part that many people had to replace on that gun.
Now the stoeger 3500 has just plain been awesome and I've used it since they came out on the market.
I even had the old 3 inch 2000 model which has been upgraded with new parts now and is now called the 3000. But that old model 2000 was the most reliable gun I had ever shot.
I do love stoeger semi autos and they are a great price
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline ackbizzle

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 08:12:03 PM »
Also shooting a stoeger 3500 and the only issue I have had with it is that it doesn't like to cycle 1oz loads but don't shoot any thing like that in the field so it's not a problem. Great gun and really good price

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 08:19:27 PM »
Spend a little more and buy a Winchester SuperX3, best shotgun I have ever owned!!! I have bird hunted since I was 13 and have shot the most expensive to the cheapest. 

Got mine on sale on veterans day for 900.00

I love my winchester, Bought new in box from a friend for 500 Lucky me!!
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal