collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best inexpensive semi-auto  (Read 16767 times)

Offline TheSkyBuster

• Aim High
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sourdough
Re: Best inexpensive semi-auto
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »
the beretta a300 is in that price window also.  know nothing about that one though.

The outlander is an excellent budget auto shotgun, the wife has been shooting one for 2 years now, waterfowl, grouse, and trap.  Well over a thousand rounds and not one failure to function.  Pretty easy to strip down and clean also.   

Offline Vo2max

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Location: Mentally: in the woods. Physically: dreaming of the woods
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 08:39:46 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies and for the help! I knew this topic would get some traffic. this forum once again helped me make a decision. Was treated very well at Skagit Arms and had a great experience. I asked a ton of questions and learnd more than I expected I would learn. I've been hunting for years just not that many for waterfowl and it continually amazes me how much I don't know the minute I think I know something. That goes for most anything in my life however! :)

Anyway, after much consideration, reading and questions answered I decided on the Stoeger 3500.. got a good price for it and now I cannot wait to take it for a spin on Saturday.

Online duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 08:43:27 PM »
Have fun. Good choice. Mine will be brought out next week in hopes of seeing some bird action.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline Duckhunter14

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 10:26:51 PM »
Very cool Vo2Max! Hope you love it. Let us know how it performs and post some pics of your kills. The guys at Skagit Arms are always helpful! Glad you went local with the buy to a smaller dealer!  :tup:
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2014, 08:57:01 AM »
You won't be disappointed.

I have not one regret for buying mine 3 years ago  :tup:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Vo2max

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2014, 01:34:27 PM »
First ducks down with the new Stoeger 3500!

Mixed bag: Green winged Teal hen, two mallard hens, widgeon drake. Missed a ton more unfortunately! new gun, super windy (a great thing!) which kept the ducks low and even some light rain. Having a sem-auto, so far, has been great but I certainly went through more shells! I have to use restraint apparently and I am looking forward to becoming more dialed in... have not shot my shotgun since last january so I cannot expect to be shooting well.

Thanks all once again for the help.

ERIK

Offline Eastmont

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: eastmont
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2014, 05:37:44 PM »
You can never go wrong with the stoeger!

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »
I know Stoeger had problems for a while, they have become good guns since the 3000 & 3500 release. I'm reverting I'm shooting a Stoeger Longfowler SXS now. Opening weekend I took 8 geese and 2 teal, today 7 teal with the SXS. I aslo shoot a Baikal MP-153 auto when on the saltwater or a Beretta 391. I've had to many issues with Remingtons (11-87 and V-Max) and the Winchester/ Browning SX series have hammer issues, light strikes they are good when they work but 2 bad ones trured me off.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Vo2max

• Scout
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2014, 06:57:45 PM »
I know Stoeger had problems for a while, they have become good guns since the 3000 & 3500 release. I'm reverting I'm shooting a Stoeger Longfowler SXS now. Opening weekend I took 8 geese and 2 teal, today 7 teal with the SXS. I aslo shoot a Baikal MP-153 auto when on the saltwater or a Beretta 391. I've had to many issues with Remingtons (11-87 and V-Max) and the Winchester/ Browning SX series have hammer issues, light strikes they are good when they work but 2 bad ones trured me off.

Sorry about your gun problem history Wadu1... We all tend to learn the hard way! Atleast I do. Best of luck to you this fall/winter

Offline ackbizzle

• Tracker
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 07:31:41 PM »
I will say make sure you give it a good cleaning after a wet hunt, seen quite a bit of rust developing on mine so stay on top of it

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 09:27:26 PM »
Mossberg 930 or 935. Both are solid and in that price range. If you clean them once and a while they will out last you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2014, 09:54:57 PM »
I completely cleaned my mossberg 935 after each and every trip like I do all my shotguns. My gun wouldn't even last one day without fully seizing the action to the point I was having trouble pulling by hand. I think there was something seriously wrong with a factory defect of some sort. Because I was lucky to get 15 or 20 shots outa the gun before that would occur with jams during the 15 shots. It just was throwing so much gas back into the action that it looked like thick charcoal residue was being left behind. A lot more than should be.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »

I completely cleaned my mossberg 935 after each and every trip like I do all my shotguns. My gun wouldn't even last one day without fully seizing the action to the point I was having trouble pulling by hand. I think there was something seriously wrong with a factory defect of some sort. Because I was lucky to get 15 or 20 shots outa the gun before that would occur with jams during the 15 shots. It just was throwing so much gas back into the action that it looked like thick charcoal residue was being left behind. A lot more than should be.

300 hunts on mine. Never one problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 09:07:26 AM »
That's good to here. Seems that's how it it with certain mossbergs  You got a lot of good ones and some bad apples produced. My last trip with the gun was turkey season this fall. Shot at a turkey and it jammed after that shot with shell just mangled. Cleared it and the next shell ejected out the bottom of the gun. So later shot a grouse and went to shoot another and the gun went click. Shot the grouse with a turkey load and the gun didn't eject the second shell. So cycled by hand and again the shell went out the bottom of the gun. Those were there first two shots I took after completely cleaning before the trip. I finally said screw that gun and sold it. It was hard to do because the pattern was amazing out of that gun but I just couldn't get the reliability out of it.
I really do like the inertia driven design from my experience. Very reliable

Offline Duckhunter14

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 08:48:14 PM »
First ducks down with the new Stoeger 3500!

Mixed bag: Green winged Teal hen, two mallard hens, widgeon drake. Missed a ton more unfortunately! new gun, super windy (a great thing!) which kept the ducks low and even some light rain. Having a sem-auto, so far, has been great but I certainly went through more shells! I have to use restraint apparently and I am looking forward to becoming more dialed in... have not shot my shotgun since last january so I cannot expect to be shooting well.

Thanks all once again for the help.

ERIK

:tup: Nice work! Thanks for sharing. But be honest....did you try to pump the next shell in after the first shot?  :chuckle:
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]