collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Changes to spring bear season.  (Read 7441 times)

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
Changes to spring bear season.
« on: October 23, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »
Sorry, this is going to be a little bit long-winded post, please bear  :chuckle:  with me and read it through.

I know that the foremost attention right now is the upcoming election and the gun initiatives on this years ballot.

But I wanted to toss this out and get folks on here thinking about it, because in the next few weeks, I will be asking for help from the Hunt Wa community in the form of letters and emails, hopefully in support of this.

Some may remember that back when WDFW was taking proposals for changes to the next three year period game management plan, I submitted a proposal for bringing baiting back for hunters to use during the spring damage permit hunts.

I chose only the spring hunts, because their purpose it to protect/prevent damage to timber by bears peeling, and they are a limited, permit only hunt. But are available to anyone who cares to apply and is lucky enough to draw a permit.

As I was aware, and was pointed out at that time, this is a change that would need to occur by legislative action.  But my intent at the time was to get it into the hands of the policy setters at WDFW while they were actively requesting input from hunters and the public in general.

On Oct 1, I received an email from Donny Martorello, WDFW Carnivore Manager, eagerly requesting additional information about my proposal.  Due to other obligations, deer season and scheduling, I was finally able to connect with him yesterday. After a very informative conversation, I am now ready to move forward.  I was told that he would strongly support my proposal and that WDFW would be 100% behind my plan, the only caveat being getting the legislature to act in our favor. That is where Hunt Wa and the power of letter writing & emails will come in down the road a bit.  But first, over the next few weeks, I have a little more ground work to lay.

So for now, enjoy the rest of deer season and good luck during elk, I will be posting an update with more information and the next steps in this process in the next few weeks.

Here is what I submitted to WDFW:

OVERVIEW

The purpose of this proposal is to establish guidelines allowing spring, damage control special permit black bear hunters to establish and utilize bait stations to aid in the taking of bear in areas determined to be causing sufficient damage to warrant a special hunt draw and spring season.

WHO CAN BAIT?

Only those hunters who have successfully drawn a WDFW special permit for one of the established spring black bear damage permit hunts may purchase a Bait Station Permit, to place, maintain and hunt over a bait station for spring black bear.
Hunters must have passed a WDFW approved Hunter’s Safety course or qualify for the Hunter’s Safety Course exception by having been born before January 1, 1972, and have all proper licenses, permits and transport tags to hunt black bear in the State of Washington prior to establishing a bait station.

BAIT STATION GUIDELINES

Bait stations may be established no earlier than 15 days before opening day of the respective season.
Hunters may not attach any device, barrel, box or other container  holding bait material to any tree (standing dead, down falls & stumps excluded), in a way that damages or may cause damage during mounting, use or removal.
Bait containers must be attached or secured in such a manner that they are easily removable at the close of the permit hunter’s season or conclusion of hunt, no permanent bait or feeding stations are permitted.
Bait containers may be a single metal or plastic barrel not larger than 55 gallon sized, wooden box, or made from natural materials found on site.  No tires are allowed.   
At the conclusion of the permit holder’s hunt or no later than five (5) days after the close of the respective season, the area must be returned to as close to natural as possible by removing all bait containers, non-consumed bait material, and any material used to conceal the hunter’s observation location (stand material, blind, etc.).

BAIT MATERIALS

Bait may consist of any natural or commercially processed meats, vegetables, fruits or grains (wastage and unlawful use of game animals, birds and fish laws apply).  Bait may not contain any metal, plastic, paper, Styrofoam, glass or any other substance which may harm or injure an animal feeding from the bait station.
If commercial processed substances such as breads, doughnuts, cakes, or other pastry items are used, the commercial wrappers must be completely removed from each product before being placed in the bait container or the area around it.
Natural or processed honey, molasses, jams, jellies or similar substances may be used as an additive or attractant in or around a bait station. 
Restaurant or other cooking oils or grease may not be used at a bait station.

BAIT STATION PERMITS

Only successful spring bear permit hunters may purchase a WDFW Bait Station Permit. 
For each bait station that a hunter wishes to establish, he/she must have a separate WDFW Bait Station Permit, and the permit number must be attached to each bait station so to be visible to WDFW or other authorized person upon physical inspection of the site.
WDFW Bait Station permits are available for purchase from the Olympia Headquarters only.  Only successful, special permit draw spring black bear hunters are eligible and may purchase Bait Station Permits.
Bait Station Permits are $10.00 each and are valid fifteen (15) days before the opening day of the special permit season and expire five (5) days after the end of the respective spring permit hunt end date.
Bait stations in place, whether active or not, 16 or more days prior to the established opening date of a spring bear special permit hunt or after the expiration date on the Bait Station Permit shall be considered to be in violation of the prohibition of baiting bears as defined in Washington R.C.W. 77.15.245.
Hunting over a bait station without a valid, spring bear special hunt permit and a valid Bait Station Permit in the hunter’s name, shall be considered to be in violation of the prohibition of baiting bears as defined in Washington R.C.W. 77.15.245.

PLACEMENT OF BAIT STATION

Bait stations cannot be placed closer than 50 yards from any natural body of water or natural running stream, creek or river.
Bait stations must be at least 100 yards from any traveled road, public or private, regardless of surface or use, or established hiking, horseback riding, bicycle or other off road vehicle use trail.
Bait stations may not be placed within 500 yards of any dwelling, regardless of whether it is a private residence or commercial building.
Bait stations illegally placed on private property, may be removed by the property owner and the permit holder’s Bait Station Permit may revoked by WDFW.

It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Changes to spring bear season.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:56:14 PM »
I like it and will support it.  I would recommend including allowing permit hunters to also hunt over feeding stations established by the property owner or their agent to reduce damage by bears.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 02:59:31 PM »
Yup, I like it! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
Clear, easily understood, easily enforceable. Like it.

Offline sirmissalot

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • chadpburgess@faceboo​k.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »
I like it. A lot

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 04:01:18 PM »
I like it and will support it.  I would recommend including allowing permit hunters to also hunt over feeding stations established by the property owner or their agent to reduce damage by bears.

:yeah:
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 04:16:30 PM »
I like it as well. Now if we could get them to extend the seasons and allow for more than 25 permits.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »
I think this was very well written, and is a reasonable proposal. 

Might I suggest that you ask your local legislator (two representatives, one senator in each district) to sponsor this bill in the 2015 legislative session?  If you can get either of the House or Senate committees to hear the bill, WDFW would have to come to testify, and give an opinion.  Then you could work with the agency to get your point across. 

Which district do you live in, and do you have a relationship with the representatives?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 09:00:23 PM »
I fully support it.  I have suggest something similar to this to wdfw before.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 09:15:20 PM »
Fully support it
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 09:16:07 PM »
And if it was to pass its a step in the right direction to get back what we as hunters lost years ago
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 10:23:54 PM »
You have one major downfall, LEGISLATURE. I've been in your same boat on several issues with zero progress due to that. Best of luck though, and I support your cause.

Offline CementFinisher

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 10:29:13 PM »
 :tup:

Offline bowbuild

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
I support your efforts, but question why you specifically are against grease?? Why? That is a sure fired way to get more bears at a bait!

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 10:28:46 AM »
I would fully support this.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]