collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mt. Emily (OR) Big Bull Tag  (Read 5448 times)

Offline njc89

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Mt. Emily (OR) Big Bull Tag
« on: October 24, 2014, 08:05:23 AM »
As an OR resident (Bend), my wife and I began years ago to build points for elk, antelope, etc. Since moving across the border to Walla Walla 9 years ago, I have continued with much higher subsidies to ODFW through our non resident fees. Well, with 17 points to her name, my wife finally drew the Mt. Emily Rifle elk tag this year. This is her first elk hunt ever. She has taken several deer with me and can shoot pretty well.

Mt Emily is only an hour away, so we have been fortunate enough to devote much of the summer to scouting and exploring. We have put in the time. We have also talked to several local people that know the area. I'm pretty confident we can find a decent place to hunt in a couple weeks, and based on what we have been seeing it shouldn't be unrealistic to try and hold out for something in the low 300's or better (though we know there are better bulls out there).

I think our biggest problem is lack of spotters come opening day. My other hunting partners - my dad (legally disabled) and daughter (busy college student) will not be much help on this one. Due to her experience level and confidence, I will be with my wife all the time, leaving us a little blind when hitting some of the timbered slopes. So, I thought I would try enlisting a little help. I know this could be asking a lot, and even seems a little odd writing this - but nothing ventured, nothing gained right?

I personally would love the opportunity to spot and be involved on a hunt like this. We will see nice bulls!  If you live around here, know the area a bit, and have a little extra time to kill during the OR rifle season (Nov. 8-16, even a day or two at a time), I would love to at least talk with you. Maybe you're a spike hunter up here for the 2nd season that wouldn't mind swapping information (help goes both ways - you may need it to find a spike up there)?  I don't feel like we can have too much information or help. Given that the number of points needed to draw keeps rising, this will likely be her first and last time elk hunting in OR. I want to make sure she has the best possible chance for success. Any tips, thoughts, or even general well-wishing would be appreciated. Thank you

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Mt. Emily (OR) Big Bull Tag
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:06:09 AM »
Buy her good clothes.

Cold women are no good.

Offline fireguy459

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:12:46 PM »
Wish i had time to help. I grew up hunting mt emily and have sinced lived in washington and now hunt the eagle cap for elk. 5 points canyon and above perry are good areas. Maybe an area to check if your not seeing much.
If you can see it....... you can shoot it.

Offline njc89

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 09:00:50 AM »
Thanks for the responses. 

She is certainly well outfitted with gear.  I have spent a small fortune to try and make sure she stays comfortable in sour weather. 

We took off work early yesterday to take advantage of the last forecasted calm weather we may have in a while to go shooting again.  She was nailing the crap out of the steel plates at 500 and 600 yards.  The CDS on Leupold's new VX6 seems to work pretty well.

Leaving this afternoon for a quick overnight scouting trip, more scouting next weekend, and then 3 more days right before the season to try and locate Mr. Right.

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 09:38:39 AM »
I would be in if I wasn't headed to Nevada for a deer hunt burning up my vacation time. I have 18 Oregon elk points and I'm looking seriously at that tag so It would be a good expedition for me. I have a VX6 3-18 also and love it. I thought about stopping to look that country over a little on the way back if I tag out early in Nevada, we'll see. If I do and see anything good I will let you know.

Offline njc89

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:48:38 AM »
I would be in if I wasn't headed to Nevada for a deer hunt burning up my vacation time. I have 18 Oregon elk points and I'm looking seriously at that tag so It would be a good expedition for me. I have a VX6 3-18 also and love it. I thought about stopping to look that country over a little on the way back if I tag out early in Nevada, we'll see. If I do and see anything good I will let you know.

Halo,
let's swap stories after the season.  I have been thinking seriously about trying to chase deer in NV as well.  I'm only at 15 elk points in OR, so it will be a while for me.  I would be happy to share whatever we think we know.

Offline Kuduman

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 11:04:15 AM »
njc 89
Although I have never hunted the Mt. Emily unit before I have several clients that have. I have mounted several bulls that have come from that unit. We should talk for sure.
Give me a call and we'll get you in touch with the right people.

Jeff Monyak
Trails End Taxidermy
Dayton,Wa
(509) 382-2813

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 01:30:19 PM »

Halo,
let's swap stories after the season.  I have been thinking seriously about trying to chase deer in NV as well.  I'm only at 15 elk points in OR, so it will be a while for me.  I would be happy to share whatever we think we know.
Sounds like a plan, hopefully we will both have some good success stories.

Offline liplocked

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 08:07:05 PM »
This is the second message I think I've sent.  I could likely sneak away for a couple days to help you out.  Been in on a few kills there.  Holler if interested!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal