collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail 3pt or better unit????s  (Read 8208 times)

Offline fordpowerforever

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Tracker
Re: Blacktail 3pt or better unit????s
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 07:54:06 PM »
I've passed 8 deer this year. And got a glimpse of one really nice buck I watched all summer on opening morning. I left him alone since then and I'm going to try again tomorrow to see if his I. Q. Had lowered. They aren't dumb. Just because they aren't standing out in the open doesn't mean they aren't there.
Btw what's my area for BT ? I've hunted them from lake Stevens to the Columbia river along with the peninsula. There is big bucks all over. Just have to be lucky enough to catch them making a mistake. The odds are very much in their favor. It's not something more restrictions are going to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chester, no offense i meant your area listed. i know there is big bucks all over, i have seen two nice bucks this year, one just last sundaym i hoping the same thing, that he is starting to dumb up a bit.

Back on topic with everyone,  im just thinking it would be nice to hunt a unit knowing your odds a little better if your willing to do the work. my dad has been hunting blacktails for 50+ years and has killed a handfuls of decent bucks in his time and missed opportunities (back in the 2x7 power days) on a few. But only one wall hanger, but on here you will see a lot more bucks coming from more inland areas that people say are decent BT bucks but around here would be large and something to be very proud of. The reports for our area are down and i dont want to start a debate about but it says in the olympic peninsula units the local tribes said they would lower the anterless killing and i recently talked to a lifetime indian friend, avid hunter, and now training to be a wildlife officier for the tribe and he had heard nothing about it. We have no anterless tags offered over here due to our population so maybe a point restriction will at least give the deer a boost in numbers to get back on the rebound...then in turn start to produce higher number of quality bucks.   

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 07:07:59 PM »
I would think Pysht would be better than Dickey.  More deer that are 3 pt or larger, so more people could still fill tags.

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »
Just what we need..More restrictions in this state. Leave it as it is, as far as I'm concerned the state can remove ALL the point restrictions state wide for deer and elk.

Hunterman(Tony) 
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »
Just what we need..More restrictions in this state. Leave it as it is, as far as I'm concerned the state can remove ALL the point restrictions state wide for deer and elk.

Hunterman(Tony)

Are you serious?

:o  you might be in denial about the amount of hunters we have in this state   :dunno:

I'm not saying that all APRs are good but what you suggest would wreck virtually every elk herd and mule deer herd.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »
Point restrictions make sense on the OP.    Black tails have evolved to have small antlers for a reason.  That is why many never get bigger than a 2 point.

So put a 3 point restriction on them? Huh?? 

I wouldn't mind seeing no spikes allowed, but that is as far as I would go.  Here a 2 1/2 year old fork has, on average, ten more pounds of meat than a 1 1/2 year old spike.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »
 :yeah:  That's the thing

A restriction of 4 pt on whitetail or a 3 pt on muleteer is most often preventing bucks from being harvested until they are at least 1.5 years old and some not until they're 2.5.  I agree with Loki that a 2 pt minimum would be fine.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 08:16:21 PM »
I have stated this before. I would not support a minimum on blacktails unless first time hunters, youth, seniors and disabled could still shoot spikes.

There are plenty of big bucks out there, just not enough areas that are easy to hunt.

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »
If you think the OP lacks big bucks, your not looking hard enough. Blacktails are harder to kill than mulies and WT"s by natures design. Just because your seeing lots of spikes is no reason to hinder everyone else.  Theres a reason why people see lots of spikes and forks and not fours. You think a point change will cause mature deer to stand about in the open to be shot up?
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 08:25:44 PM »

A restriction of 4 pt on whitetail or a 3 pt on muleteer is most often preventing bucks from being harvested until they are at least 1.5 years old and some not until they're 2.5.  I agree with Loki that a 2 pt minimum would be fine.

No "bucks" are being harvested at less than 1.5 years, they would be antlerless in their first year. 

BTKR, I would have no problems with spikes for youth, senior, or disabled.   

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 08:28:57 PM »
If you think the OP lacks big bucks, your not looking hard enough. Blacktails are harder to kill than mulies and WT"s by natures design. Just because your seeing lots of spikes is no reason to hinder everyone else.  Theres a reason why people see lots of spikes and forks and not fours. You think a point change will cause mature deer to stand about in the open to be shot up?

Exactly. And once the first year of restrictions is over the success rate will be the same or lower.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »

No "bucks" are being harvested at less than 1.5 years, they would be antlerless in their first year. 

:chuckle: good catch, I don't know why I typed 1.5/2.5 instead of 2.5/3.5

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 08:37:21 PM »
Blacktail are different than our other deer, just because you don't see the big guys doesn't mean they aren't there.
 The only thing point restrictions would do on the west side is make a bunch of hunters quit because they never see anything but spikes and forkys.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 08:38:29 PM »

Oops, yeah that's what I meant.  I meant 2.5/3.5

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 08:44:06 PM »
 :chuckle:

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
Blacktail are different than our other deer, just because you don't see the big guys doesn't mean they aren't there.
 The only thing point restrictions would do on the west side is make a bunch of hunters quit because they never see anything but spikes and forkys.

:yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal