collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail 3pt or better unit????s  (Read 8206 times)

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
Re: Blacktail 3pt or better unit????s
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 09:19:03 PM »
If you think the OP lacks big bucks, your not looking hard enough. Blacktails are harder to kill than mulies and WT"s by natures design. Just because your seeing lots of spikes is no reason to hinder everyone else.  Theres a reason why people see lots of spikes and forks and not fours. You think a point change will cause mature deer to stand about in the open to be shot up?
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline Mike450r

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 09:25:34 PM »
Too hard to be certain of anything more than a branched buck at distance with the smaller blacktail antlers and the ferns and brush they like to be in.  Too many times it would be impossible to be positive of 3 points,  not a good idea.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 09:35:55 PM »
   I agree, BT numbers are down all over the westside in any area that is not close to an urban center, Then stud bucks are on every street corner. :chuckle: But IMO point restriction isn't the answer. I know many, many hunters who self impose point restrictions and it hasn't helped numbers at all. Very few spikes or small forks are harvested in these areas yet numbers fall, and big bucks don't really increase.

Your comparison of your Dads lease area, is not really apples to apples because in addition to self imposed point restrictions, they are probably harvesting less deer period due to less pressure. Even bucks that are older age class are getting a pass simply because they are not getting hunted as hard.

For the record I am against any reduction in opportunity, until a reasonable effort is made to control PREDATORS and improve habitat. That said, if you want to have more bucks and bigger bucks, close the season tomorrow and keep it that way for few years and see what happens. Buck escapement is what gives you your older age class bucks and in the next 9 days ( including late buck ) many of the 2.5 and 3.5 age class will hit dirt.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 10:07:01 PM »
You need to just think about how hard it is to find blacktail bucks ...Not that easy ..think about how many you never see because we live in a brush pile . I think 2 pt restriction is plenty good enough for blacktail  :twocents: :tup:

i would be plenty fine for 2pt also, i just think a place for people that want the challenge of chasing mature blacktails with a little but better odds would be cool. I know how hard it is to find, them 19 years for me and i still havent got a 3 point yet. and i pass up a lot of smaller bucks every year. trying my best to get the best chance possible at a big buck. I have just seen from my dads hunting lease how well the buck population grows when the spikes and small two points arent taken out every year.

Finding a big blaktail is already a challenge. You seem to want to take the challenge out of the equation and make it easier.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
If you think the OP lacks big bucks, your not looking hard enough. Blacktails are harder to kill than mulies and WT"s by natures design. Just because your seeing lots of spikes is no reason to hinder everyone else.  Theres a reason why people see lots of spikes and forks and not fours. You think a point change will cause mature deer to stand about in the open to be shot up?

Exactly. And once the first year of restrictions is over the success rate will be the same or lower.
I don't think point restrictions on blacktail will make any difference on success rates of bigger bucks. You may have more bigger bucks out there as a result, but they won't be taken any easier than you can today. They turn into loners the older they get, and disappear for the most part during most the year. I rarely see big mature bucks in the woods, until last week of October- December. I've been hunting them for 20+ years in 448, and haven't noticed any real decline in deer #'s. Some years are better than others, but I feel that has more to do with a lack of logging than predators, or over hunting.
  Point restrictions on blacktail IMO would do absolutely nothing, but possibly frustrate new hunters to the point of giving up.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:33:59 PM by Turner89 »
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]