collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: cougars sighting. what would you do?  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Blsum

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
cougars sighting. what would you do?
« on: October 27, 2014, 06:51:34 AM »
So this past Saturday I took my buddy out to an area to try and get him a deer. We walked into a clear cut sneaking along glassing for deer. We work up onto this hill that over looks part of the cut. We just got to the spot we wanted to glass from and my buddy pulls up his binos. All of a sudden he says "Holy $#!+ its a cougar". I have an archery deer tag so I wasnt deer hunting. But I do have a bear and cougar tag. So I had my rifle with me as well. As soon as he saw the car he went into shock. I asked him were is it. How far. Give me a landmark. All the while he is freaking out. He's hunting with his old 300 savage with open sights. He lifts his gun and gets on it but doesnt feel comfortable and asked to use my gun. Im still looking trying to find the cat. At this time I spot it and I throw my gun up. As soon as I get the scope on it it bolts. Never to be seen again. We looked and looked and looked. Moved around a bit to see if we could find it. My buddy even shot one round from his handgun to see if we could jump it out of the grass, thinking it might of just crouched down. My question is should we have gone back to the area larer that afternoon and tryed calling the spot or should we give it some time. Im thinking that cat is miles away by now.
It's not the size of the trophy that make's it a trophy.

You may just be one person in this world. But you may be the world to just one person.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
Re: cougars sighting. what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:01:15 AM »
I would of called then. Kinda like, now or never.......
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »
Cougars have what they call a "home range". He's probably in the area still. I'd go do some calling with a fawn in distress.
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline Soady

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 07:19:43 AM »
As soon as he saw the car he went into shock. I asked him were is it. How far. Give me a landmark. All the while he is freaking out.
I am assuming you meant cat in that quote. If not then leave him at the car and go after the cat! If you meant he saw the cat and freaked then I would say give him a good solid slap up side the head to snap him out of the shock! If that don't work get a new hunting partner! You have my number and you know I am pretty calm. :chuckle:

Some new eye glasses for you might be in order as well since you had trouble locating the cat, at least you both knew where the rig was parked. :dunno:  :chuckle:
Whatever........

Offline splitshot

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:29:47 AM »
  I agree with soady.  hunters are not to freak out until something is down.  get a grip.  calm and cool.  getting excited got you guys tag soup.   mike w

Offline Soady

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 06:43:22 PM »
Blsum experience with cats but another chance at a second one tends to shoot one full of adrenalin. I can assure you he was full on alert looking for that kitty and once he had eyes and crosshairs on it, that  was one lucky kitty. He has the knowledge to give one a dirt nap, his buddy on the other hand  :dunno: got a good lesson on how to remain calm, that's how we all learned.
Good luck guys!  :tup: Go get um!
Whatever........

Offline Blsum

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »
My buddy was the one who spotted the cat. He doesnt have a ton of hunting experience. Hopefully he learned something from this. Because for the rest of the day I kept telling him "NEVER HESITATE ON A CAT" (as long as you know the seasons open). That being said when I did see it I could only see the face.  It was looking at us from behind a tree.  When you can see for probably 120 or so yards in the clear cut and the trees are about 8-10 ft tall. Its kind of hard to find something very fast. Esspecially since he didnt give me any kind of direction or land mark to try and find it. Other then the general direction he was looking. Took me a sec but I spotted it. If the cat had sat for a sec more it would of been dead.
It's not the size of the trophy that make's it a trophy.

You may just be one person in this world. But you may be the world to just one person.

Offline Soady

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:04:28 PM »
If the cat had sat for a sec more it would of been dead.
:yeah:
Whatever........

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]